Undateables series three - C4 (UK)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

wavecannon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2014, 8:05 pm

Anyone seen the new episode out this week? It features an autistic chap who seems quite affable and no trouble at all. I would imagine we'll get an update on him towards the end of the series. Good luck to him.

Could be other autistic/aspergic folk on there in weeks to come too. My favourite on this week though was a woman with dwarfism called Mary. Seemed a spot on person to me. These folk don't deserve to be lonely.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 5:03 am

*waves* I want to see too.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 5:12 am

I've never watched the undatables. I might look it up on 4od.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 7:04 am

I loathe this show. However, I'll check this episode out on 4oD :)

In recent years C4 have been constantly trying to be "edgy" and controversial for the sake of media hits, and their way of doing it is playing on old stereotypes, making trendy shows about hot topics and turning communities against one another (benefits street, anyone?). If they start to show people people with disabilities who are "undateable" alongside average Joes and the reason that they are undateable isn't because of how weird they look or sound then good. (As you can tell, I really do loathe this show!)

wavecannon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2014, 8:16 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
I loathe this show. However, I'll check this episode out on 4oD :)

In recent years C4 have been constantly trying to be "edgy" and controversial for the sake of media hits, and their way of doing it is playing on old stereotypes, making trendy shows about hot topics and turning communities against one another (benefits street, anyone?). If they start to show people people with disabilities who are "undateable" alongside average Joes and the reason that they are undateable isn't because of how weird they look or sound then good. (As you can tell, I really do loathe this show!)

"Undateables" as a programme title isn't on, I have to say. Just because you have a mental disorder or a disfigurement, you're not "undateable" at all. Which is ironic, because once you start watching the show the folks running the dating agencies and the dates themselves will, naturally, reiterate how no-one doesn't deserve love! Participants did complain when they found out that was gonna be the final name of the programme they were in. As far as I see it, the show's hardly cruel beyond that, although I'm sure it does mine the footage it filmed for overt displays of say autism, or Tourette's. Tell us what you think.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 8:43 pm

I remember there being an episode of MTV's "Made" where they tried to get an autistic high schooler a date to some dance, and to also realize his dream of being a stand-up comedian. He ended up going to the school dance with a girl who seemed to feel really horrible for him, and considered dancing with him an act of charity. And he was completely unprepared for the open mic performance, but the producers apparently told the audience to be nice to him and applaud at the end. The show itself was dead silent.

It was probably the most exploitative thing I've ever seen in my life.

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2014, 3:53 pm

Some aspies just are really chatty and have a way with the ladies . I really felt sorry for the lady with tourettes #thundercats

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 3:45 pm

Yes, have to agree about mining the footage. Sorry about the late reply, I don't check WP as much as I would like.