Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

iqtomup
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2014, 11:07 pm

There are news stories about little kids with Asperger's Syndrome who do things that most physicists and mathematicians and artists dream about doing yet to them it just seems like a hobby. The media then goes to exaggerate things (in typical NT fashion) and it feels like they are intentionally trying to make people ashamed of themselves. It seems to me that Asperger's Syndrome and mild ASDs are more like superpowers than anything else. Is it really like this, are all Aspies geniuses? If so, then how do I get over my envy of genius?

StatsNerd
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2014, 11:13 pm

iqtomup wrote:
.... Is it really like this, are all Aspies geniuses? If so, then how do I get over my envy of genius?
(Emphasis added).

No.

The vast majority of people out there (NT, Aspie, or otherwise) will have something they're good at. Maybe that's particle physics. Maybe that's matrix algebra. Maybe that's winding a ball of yarn. The trick is to find something you're good at, find either a person or an organization who/which needs that particular skill, and do whatever it is you're good at.

iqtomup
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2014, 11:28 pm

Thanks

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 11:36 pm

iqtomup wrote:
There are news stories about little kids with Asperger's Syndrome who do things that most physicists and mathematicians and artists dream about doing yet to them it just seems like a hobby. The media then goes to exaggerate things (in typical NT fashion) and it feels like they are intentionally trying to make people ashamed of themselves. It seems to me that Asperger's Syndrome and mild ASDs are more like superpowers than anything else. Is it really like this, are all Aspies geniuses? If so, then how do I get over my envy of genius?

I can't believe people would be jealous of Aspies. There are plenty of very unsuccessful Aspies and genius NTs.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2014, 11:38 pm

I think that probably the only thing Aspies have on NTs is their obsession trait.
I can solve a Rubik's Cube on average... I'd say under 50 seconds. Anyone can learn to solve the Rubik's Cube that fast. The difference is that most people don't care about Rubik's Cubes. I, on a personal level spent a whole week with one in my hands for 80 percent of my waking hours going from no knowledge of the Rubik's Cube to f2l method sub-second solves. Getting obsessed with something ain't all bad.
It has certainly helped me get gun smart. I can field strip an AR-15 and I've built 2 guns on my own; solely because I like to do it.
I'm not really smarter... I just can absorb the information that I get interested in.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 11:52 pm

I think a lot of people are envious of people like Jacob Barnett, sadly a large number, perhaps most aspies are likely unsuccessful by most peoples definition of the term success(its subjective), some people like to romanticize the aspies and aspie life yet theres really nothing romantic about it, its simply a way of being and often times a very hard one. Aspies are not typical people and those kids you talk about are not typical aspies, IQs in the 160+ range are not typical at all, these people are interesting outliers and that's why they become news stories and more typical aspies like myself aren't.

However with hard work and dedication most knowage can be attained and goals reached, that's the plan anyway!

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 11:55 pm

im far from a genius but in artwork, i do very well. its pretty much the only thing im good at. I draw sonic very well, i can draw him perfectly under 30 seconds. to other sonic fans im a god, (well, to some fans) and it makes me feel good.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 1:03 am

iqtomup wrote:
are all Aspies geniuses?

That is what has confused me too. This stereotype.
like if you are an Aspie you are a genius and if you are anything else
on the spectrum you are low functioning in comparison.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 1:44 am

EzraS wrote:
iqtomup wrote:
are all Aspies geniuses?

That is what has confused me too. This stereotype.
like if you are an Aspie you are a genius and if you are anything else
on the spectrum you are low functioning in comparison.

This is unlikely to be the case even if some here try and pigeon hole Aspies as "geniuses". A significant proportion of savants are infact autistic and non-verbal for periods of their lives. For instance many Aspies claim Temple Grandin and Albert Einstein as Aspies. The former describes herself as autistic and the latter never considered himself anything other than NT. In the case of Einstein he was non-verbal till 5yrs of age and did not communicate in sentences till 9. If he was diagnosed today he would have either been diagnosed with a global speech delay or classic autism.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:16 am

iqtomup wrote:

I have envy of AS people that could function at a young age. It too me so long to function.

Here is a kid you speak about ...

Today, Barnett -- now 14 -- is a Master's student, on his way to earning a PhD in quantum physics

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/1 ... 54920.html

LastSanityJermaine
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2014, 2:47 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
im far from a genius but in artwork, i do very well. its pretty much the only thing im good at. I draw sonic very well, i can draw him perfectly under 30 seconds. to other sonic fans im a god, (well, to some fans) and it makes me feel good.

in the 2nd grade my friend told me I was really good at drawing sonic, almost as if I traced it :?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:57 am

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2014, 3:00 am

Define genius. What exactly is it that makes someone a genius? *Shrugs*

HikariKun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2014, 3:08 am

As an undiagnosed aspie, I think there are plenty of positives things about having it but also some downsides. I do feel differently from the rest of the world most of the time, and I never get the feeling that people understand me. A lot of people tell me I'm weird and I've only had a few really truly good friends...I've had people try to talk to me but they usually just want one sex and couldn't care less what I think about.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 3:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
In the case of Einstein he was non-verbal till 5yrs of age and did not communicate in sentences till 9.

Woo hoo! that's like me.
The funny thing is i went to school with a lot of aspies im sure
its just that no ones specific type of autism o behavior disorder was ever made known or
discussed. it wasnt until a couple of years ago that i started hearing about Aspergers.
And it basically being described as a form of autism for geniuses, or something like that.

Maybe too much PR went into it. like "it's not really autism, its just a type of autism
and people that have it are super intellectuals.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 3:58 am

DevilKisses wrote:
iqtomup wrote:

I can't believe people would be jealous of Aspies. There are plenty of very unsuccessful Aspies and genius NTs.

Of course, but the unsuccessful aspies aren't the ones who get shown on TV for NTs to recognise. If the media were all people had to go on to reach factual conclusions, of course people would assume all aspies are super geniuses, and who wouldn't want to be that, especially given that the incidence of reported non-autistic geniuses in the news is dwindling? It would appear from a media standpoint that one has to be autistic to be a genius, and I'll bet a lot of NTs who have a limited grasp on what being an aspie really means would love to have AS if it meant they could be so clever. If only the world were as simple as the news makes it out to be.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!