Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 3:58 am

DevilKisses wrote:
iqtomup wrote:
There are news stories about little kids with Asperger's Syndrome who do things that most physicists and mathematicians and artists dream about doing yet to them it just seems like a hobby. The media then goes to exaggerate things (in typical NT fashion) and it feels like they are intentionally trying to make people ashamed of themselves. It seems to me that Asperger's Syndrome and mild ASDs are more like superpowers than anything else. Is it really like this, are all Aspies geniuses? If so, then how do I get over my envy of genius?

I can't believe people would be jealous of Aspies. There are plenty of very unsuccessful Aspies and genius NTs.

Of course, but the unsuccessful aspies aren't the ones who get shown on TV for NTs to recognise. If the media were all people had to go on to reach factual conclusions, of course people would assume all aspies are super geniuses, and who wouldn't want to be that, especially given that the incidence of reported non-autistic geniuses in the news is dwindling? It would appear from a media standpoint that one has to be autistic to be a genius, and I'll bet a lot of NTs who have a limited grasp on what being an aspie really means would love to have AS if it meant they could be so clever. If only the world were as simple as the news makes it out to be.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2014, 8:10 am

Choose your favourite AS stereotype:

1. Being amazingly gifted at subjects such as maths/science/computing/creative.

2. Fascinated by pointless information. Obsessed with data, facts and repetition but unable to think abstractly about things or to be interested in how they fit into the big picture.

Someone who fits the profile of 2) would not be able to achieve 1). They are pretty much mutually exclusive.

2) is closer description to the diagnostic criteria, so probably most of those diagnosed AS are not very intellectual.

However, I do think very intellectual abstract thinkers can most definitely fall on the autism spectrum. It is a shame that the diagnostic criteria does not reflect that.

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2014, 9:52 am

I agree. Just because your aspie, doesn't mean your some kind of "Super-Genious". I'm quite technical..and it really helps me in my job, but that's about it. Someone like Jacob has very special gifts. I would hope that his powerful intelligence is used for the greater good of mankind to help us propel into the future.

rapidroy wrote:
I think a lot of people are envious of people like Jacob Barnett, sadly a large number, perhaps most aspies are likely unsuccessful by most peoples definition of the term success(its subjective), some people like to romanticize the aspies and aspie life yet theres really nothing romantic about it, its simply a way of being and often times a very hard one. Aspies are not typical people and those kids you talk about are not typical aspies, IQs in the 160+ range are not typical at all, these people are interesting outliers and that's why they become news stories and more typical aspies like myself aren't.

However with hard work and dedication most knowage can be attained and goals reached, that's the plan anyway!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 7:12 pm

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
In the case of Einstein he was non-verbal till 5yrs of age and did not communicate in sentences till 9.

Woo hoo! that's like me.
The funny thing is i went to school with a lot of aspies im sure
its just that no ones specific type of autism o behavior disorder was ever made known or
discussed. it wasnt until a couple of years ago that i started hearing about Aspergers.
And it basically being described as a form of autism for geniuses, or something like that.

Maybe too much PR went into it. like "it's not really autism, its just a type of autism
and people that have it are super intellectuals.

At your age you've got plenty of time to make massive advances :)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 11:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
In the case of Einstein he was non-verbal till 5yrs of age and did not communicate in sentences till 9.

Woo hoo! that's like me.
The funny thing is i went to school with a lot of aspies im sure
its just that no ones specific type of autism o behavior disorder was ever made known or
discussed. it wasnt until a couple of years ago that i started hearing about Aspergers.
And it basically being described as a form of autism for geniuses, or something like that.

Maybe too much PR went into it. like "it's not really autism, its just a type of autism
and people that have it are super intellectuals.

At your age you've got plenty of time to make massive advances :)

Yup. It can and does happen. I have a friend who followed that ASD path.. non-verbal for the first handful of years, then spoke, and now lives a pretty decent life as an adult. I know others who's stories are similar.

JBO
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm

r84shi37 wrote:
I can solve a Rubik's Cube on average... I'd say under 50 seconds. Anyone can learn to solve the Rubik's Cube that fast. The difference is that most people don't care about Rubik's Cubes. I, on a personal level spent a whole week with one in my hands for 80 percent of my waking hours going from no knowledge of the Rubik's Cube to f2l method sub-second solves.

I did the same exact thing after seeing a guy speed cubing on the train :P Only got my solves down to ~1 minute though, then I lost interest.

ReaperDan84
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jan 2014, 7:53 pm

I have an IQ of 127, whilst I'm of above average intelligence I'm hardly a genius. I was an average student at school, I dropped out of college and I work in construction.

Lost my mind, God help the person that finds it

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 8:35 pm

iqtomup wrote:
There are news stories about little kids with Asperger's Syndrome who do things that most physicists and mathematicians and artists dream about doing yet to them it just seems like a hobby. The media then goes to exaggerate things (in typical NT fashion) and it feels like they are intentionally trying to make people ashamed of themselves. It seems to me that Asperger's Syndrome and mild ASDs are more like superpowers than anything else. Is it really like this, are all Aspies geniuses? If so, then how do I get over my envy of genius?

I have Aspergers Syndrome and I don't see how it could even be compared to a super power....what the super power of not being able to effectively communicate with people. But then I never had any special talents or anything really. Before I ended up with PTSD I was able to read a lot and do lots of research on various topics without getting bored but now I don't have the focus for that...due to the PTSD.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2017, 11:16 am

Well its like this (and as others have said or eluded too) If you have a special interest you will pursue it and more than likely than not obsessively. Do that for years and become an expert, knowledgeable or skilled. There are few savants, but there will always be people who are exceptional, some of them are even NT.

I have no savant abilities either but I do have a special interest, which happens to be autism (a curse and a blessing) I find that if you spend 20 years working with classic autistic kids, read obsessively, do a post grad in autism and AspergerSyndrome, hang about with people who really do their stuff and go to conferences for 20 years you learn stuff.

I do also collect tons of useless information wether I want to or not, I just know stuff and I have no idea where I learned it.

Oh and my main hobby is astronomy....Its looks like it going to be clear tonight 8)

BBC: Radio 4

Last edited by Voxish on 17 Aug 2017, 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

Nope. I have no special skills or talents, and don't seem to be any better at anything at all than the average person. It's just the really talented Aspies that are much more likely to get news stories and things, because of their talents. People aren't interested in hearing about Aspies like me, so we don't get media attention.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 1:32 pm

The original poster died of old age about three years ago.

But I will reply to him anyway.

Yes, vee aspergians are zee master race!

And...sorry...there is no cure for your envy.

you're just gonna hafta learn to grovel, and crawl around on the floor, whenever you are in the presence of your new aspie overlords!

Its just the way that it is. Its just a cross that you're gonna hafta learn to bear.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 17 Aug 2017, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 1:50 pm

Lots of people like the term Aspie and think it's cool. Those of us that are lower functioning are seldom mistaken for being especially smart.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 1:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The original poster died of old age about three years ago.

But I will reply to him anyway.

Yes, vee aspergians are zee master race!

And...sorry...there is no cure for your envy.

you're just gonna hafta learn to grovel, and crawl around on the floor, whenever you are in the presence of your new aspie overlords!

Its just the way that it is. Its just a cross that you're gonna hafta learn to bear.

Is 22 old age? That's pretty sad :( .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 1:54 pm

Probably a glitch in the "age" area.

You see lots of 1,500-year-old people here LOL

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 1:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Probably a glitch in the "age" area.

You see lots of 1,500-year-old people here LOL

Yep! That's sad that he died though.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2017, 2:10 pm

I don't think I can call myself an aspie. According to the DSM4 aspies generally have average to above average IQ's whereas I do not. Mine is just slightly on the low side of normal "89" however I do have some very strong areas.

Mine under DSM4 would be PDD/NOS.