Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2017, 9:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The original poster died of old age about three years ago.

But I will reply to him anyway.

Yes, vee aspergians are zee master race!

And...sorry...there is no cure for your envy.

you're just gonna hafta learn to grovel, and crawl around on the floor, whenever you are in the presence of your new aspie overlords!

Its just the way that it is. Its just a cross that you're gonna hafta learn to bear.

Is 22 old age? That's pretty sad :( .

Okay...he is still alive, but joined the French Foreign Legion and hasn't been seen nor heard from in three years.

Your posts crack me up. Talk about a dry sense of humor.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:47 am

I think of the title of a book I saw at the library about life in North Korea: Nothing to Envy.

While the situation for me is nowhere near as dire as living in a country with absolutely zero freedom, it can be pretty frustrating for me when I hear people say, "I wish I could do (whatever) as well as you." It took me a lot of work, practice and a quantum leap in everyday functioning to reach my current level. As little as five years ago, I did absolutely nothing socially and was struggling with depression and health problems. At 52, I realize the time might be past for achieving certain ordinary things other people have been doing for years, but I'm still optimistic.

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2017, 9:33 am

artfulldodger wrote:
Very much a stereotype. I can barely add numbers in my head let alone to high level math required for what your describing. I am however a brilliant small engine mechanic, good at fixing model trains and operating forklifts. The last one is what I do for a living, for the huge Chrysler transmission factory here where I live. Yes, some Aspies get the "math gene" and are savants with math or other high level science type stuff. But many more are not. We all are good at something, even if its something small. Mike

Oh boy, do I fit this category. except I really liked science but math just wasn't my thing.

I have exceptional comprehension when it comes to mechanics & to a degree science. Was one of the top in the country on the aptitude test as far as mechanical comprehension I took for the military in high school. I was too slow though in actual performance to do it as an occupation due to executive disfunction, poor working memory & poor coordination.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 10:07 am

I don't find IQ to be really valid for many people with ASD's.

Germanium is a classic example. There is such a disparity between "verbal" and "performance" scores that it renders the overall score almost a moot point.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 10:28 am

My true gift lies on abstract thinking and bodily control -- not very stereotypical for an aspie. I'm no savant, nor a genius. Just better performance IQ than verbal IQ.
Anything else is average at best. :lol: Outright obsolete at worst that it mattered.

I'm just another autistic who happened to reach certain concepts, then having the means of bodily coordination enough to afford speech and language, done milestones at the right ages, and the appearance of being less atypical to be qualified as an aspie.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 10:47 am

I agree, Krafty.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 11:32 am

soloha wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

you're just gonna hafta learn to grovel, and crawl around on the floor, whenever you are in the presence of your new aspie overlords!

Its just the way that it is. Its just a cross that you're gonna hafta learn to bear.

Okay...he is still alive, but joined the French Foreign Legion and hasn't been seen nor heard from in three years.

Ah, so all of this is a joke and nobody is actually dead. Well, that's good to know. :) I thought perhaps they really were old and they'd just lied about their age or something and that it had turned out to be uncovered that he was actually an elderly man, but then you mentioned the French Foreign Legion and that seemed odd because what would an old man be doing fighting in an army, wouldn't he be retired? But then I realised it was probably a joke about the fact "missing for 3 years" would suggest "most likely dead".

All of this is just an elaborate joke about an inactive member, which makes my mind wonder- what actually happened to that guy? What is he actually did die and none of us know? Maybe he died in an accident or something. What if some other members did and we just don't know? How many other dead people are here? 8O Am I overthinking this joke? Probably. Should I overthink it? Eh, probably not. Am I going to? Yup.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 6:41 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
soloha wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Ah, so all of this is a joke and nobody is actually dead. Well, that's good to know. :) I thought perhaps they really were old and they'd just lied about their age or something and that it had turned out to be uncovered that he was actually an elderly man, but then you mentioned the French Foreign Legion and that seemed odd because what would an old man be doing fighting in an army, wouldn't he be retired? But then I realised it was probably a joke about the fact "missing for 3 years" would suggest "most likely dead".

All of this is just an elaborate joke about an inactive member, which makes my mind wonder- what actually happened to that guy? What is he actually did die and none of us know? Maybe he died in an accident or something. What if some other members did and we just don't know? How many other dead people are here? 8O Am I overthinking this joke? Probably. Should I overthink it? Eh, probably not. Am I going to? Yup.

Folks often revive long dead threads, and then start chatting with the OP (like we are dialoguing right now) like its face-to-face in real time. Often they even give the OP advice about some part of the OP's personal life mentioned in the OP's original post. This in a thread that might be seven years old. And often the OP has indeed stopped being active for like five years and so cant even respond with a "thanks for your advice but I solved the problem years ago". So sometimes I feel like poking fun at folks for reviving dead threads and then chatting with long ago disappeared WP members as if they were gonna get a response.

But yeah. This site has been here for years. There have been older members ( a number of quite prolific posters) who have gone. One cant help but wonder if a number over seventy members from years ago are no longer with us on earth as well as just no longer on WP.

Countless folks come and go of every age. And leave for any number of reasons.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 6:44 pm

People often joke that people who "disappear" have "joined the French Foreign Legion."

To mention the "French Foreign Legion" is a dead giveaway that the person is joking.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 7:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
People often joke that people who "disappear" have "joined the French Foreign Legion."

To mention the "French Foreign Legion" is a dead giveaway that the person is joking.

Oh, I was unaware of this as I have never heard of people joking about that until now. The more you know I guess. In fact, I hadn't even heard of the French Foreign Legion until recently.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 7:12 pm

Some people leave the site for a period of time, then come back with a different screen name. This was the case with me. I still see old posts I made under the old name. Quite a bit has changed since then, but some things haven't.

oddnumberedcat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2017, 8:24 pm

The media representation of Asperger's is really annoying. I doubt most average people conceptualize Asperger's beyond the eccentric, socially aloof genius stereotype. While I think it's likely that Asperger's is overrepresented among geniuses, being a genius is not common among Aspies (just being a genius is not common among the general population). The stereotypical Asperger's genius is a minority and does a disservice to advancing an understanding of what autism really is.

I don't envy Aspies with crazy high IQs. For every brilliant Aspie wunderkind we hear about on the media, there's hundreds of Aspies with just as high an IQ who are disabled and aren't making news anytime soon. I went to a school for people with Asperger's/NLD for a while, and more than a few of the people who were extremely intelligent in terms of IQ were pretty bad off socially. A lot aren't doing a whole lot with their lives ten years later.

I almost feel like in some ways, that can be a crueler curse than just being average; here you have everyone telling you your entire life you have potential, you're so smart, etc.... but you can't keep up with life as you get older and the demands ramp up, and you end up accomplishing nothing and feeling like a major disappointment. There's nothing to envy about that at all.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 9:18 pm

soloha wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I really can't understand this humor LOL! :D

Talk about being gullible........

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:52 am

The funny thing is, I have actually met two people, in the course of my lifetime, who really, really DID "join the French Foreign Legion" LOL!! ! :lol:

Strictly speaking I met them AFTER they had been in it, but they really had been in it.

One I met in the early 80s. He was actually a guy that my best friend was dating. He had been in the FFL for a brief period but quit. I think I remember him saying it's very tough.

The other is one I've learned about more recently. This guy is now a park ranger and he BULLIED me last December.

I have told people about the incident and one of the people who run a monitoring group informed me that this guy is "ex-French Foreign Legion."

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:04 am

I did not read every post so someone may have said this already. But to answer the OP, most of us are not savants. Even among autists and aspies, savants are few and far between. I am relatively good at my special interests but even in those, there are many who are much better than I am including young kids. People are not geniuses and savants simply because they have ASD or AS, they are geniues and savants because they are geniuses and savants and they don't have to have an ASD to be that way. If they do have an ASD, the media finds them even more interesting so they will talk about them.

Wreck It Ralph

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 9:17 am

Regarding I.Q. tests, I got a less than stellar overall score because I got a big fat goose egg score on the block design test, despite doing well on the verbal tests and scoring in the average range socially. My overall score was only average, even though I have taken various tests under more relaxed circumstances and scored comfortably above average, in the 120-140 range. I felt so stupid and demoralized after that test and the tester treated me like I was a complete idiot.