Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2014, 4:27 am

Tollorin wrote:

I'm assuming this is a mockup. I like the "Massive 2000Mb". That was a nice touch.

The big worry for me about this type of approach is that it potentially pulls up the ladder behind the established players. If Netflix strikes up a deal with Verizon to prioritise it's traffic and deprioritise everyone else's, what chance does my-hypothetical-new-video-service.com have of breaking into the market.

Startups drive innovation and move the economy forward. This could harm startups.

It's a bit like if I were to start up a parcel delivery service and FedEx bribed traffic cops to put up roadblocks in front of my vehicles. It massively favours established players.

Last edited by superluminary on 16 Jan 2014, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2014, 4:40 am

Quote:
Hi Alex,

We notice that wrongplanet.net is now quite popular and is using significant bandwidth. In line with new regulations, we’re going to have to deprioritise traffic to your site unless you give us money. If you care about advocating for ASD you’re going to have to stump up some cash. Perhaps consider charging your users?

Lots of love,
Verizon

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 4:41 am

wozeree, we *can* build our own neutral net. I know in the UK that there is microwave frequency available to ham radio operators, and WiFi networks can be set up using off the shelf hardware and without a license. Putting the two together, and you can have mesh networks throughout towns connected to each other by microwave links. Especially since the most up to date WiFi standard can extend over 500m...

Sure, it might only be able to get 1mbps, rather than the 10, 20 people are used to, but with extensive caching (store the million most accessed Wikipedia articles locally, for example) and a P2P nature, that shouldn't be such a big problem. It would be a lot more resilient, definitely.

Even not going as that far, a town - or rather, the people of the town - could perhaps buy a Tier 1 connection and set up a municipal WiFi network by connecting their routers, and share the cost of the connection. It would probably be a lot cheaper that way than paying an existing ISP.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 11:29 am

wozeree wrote:
As a general rule I'm always cynical about big business in America - but for one thing, the internet has gotten really boring lately anyway. It seems like any time i want to do research about anything, I find results mostly from major players - content farmers or big companies. Some of them masquerade as professionals but are really a joke (like Web MD). I really miss the old internet where individuals voices were strong.

But as for this ruling, if what they are predicting happens people will get more and more bored with the internet and will stop using it. I read that Comcast tried something like it once and they had so much backlash they had to stop.

As for charging people for what they download or stream, that seems fair to me.

Too bad all the little folks like us can't get together, everybody pitching in a little and build our own neutral net.

Throttling access to or blocking websites that use lots of bandwidth is WRONG. It's DANGEROUS. It 's a power that will be ABUSED. It will lead to CENSORSHIP and unfair business practices.

As much as it pains me to say it--because I'm one of those people that use tons of bandwidth streaming A/V stuff--the answer is charging people more for the data they consume no matter where it comes from.

That's already starting. I have a 5GB/4G data cap on my phone, and I have a 250GB cap on my home net-link.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 1:50 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
wozeree wrote:
As a general rule I'm always cynical about big business in America - but for one thing, the internet has gotten really boring lately anyway. It seems like any time i want to do research about anything, I find results mostly from major players - content farmers or big companies. Some of them masquerade as professionals but are really a joke (like Web MD). I really miss the old internet where individuals voices were strong.

But as for this ruling, if what they are predicting happens people will get more and more bored with the internet and will stop using it. I read that Comcast tried something like it once and they had so much backlash they had to stop.

Too bad all the little folks like us can't get together, everybody pitching in a little and build our own neutral net.

Throttling access to or blocking websites that use lots of bandwidth is WRONG. It's DANGEROUS. It 's a power that will be ABUSED. It will lead to CENSORSHIP and unfair business practices.

As much as it pains me to say it--because I'm one of those people that use tons of bandwidth streaming A/V stuff--the answer is charging people more for the data they consume no matter where it comes from.

That's already starting. I have a 5GB/4G data cap on my phone, and I have a 250GB cap on my home net-link.

Just a little off topic.
But the big business problem is not a uniquely american problem. They are a scourge to every nation on earth.

Diagnosed in 2005

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 8:02 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
wozeree wrote:

HI, I'm not sure but I think we just said the same thing. What I meant was for consumers to pay for their downloads. I don't have a tv or broadband in my home, I only have a Verizon MiFi. It has 5gs on it and anything I do that goes over, I have to pay extra for. Usually it works out fine for me, I don't watch tv and if I want to download music or anything, I go to where there is free wifi - but I really don't download all that much. When you have to pay for it or leave home to do it, you start to prioritize.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 9:38 pm

^^^ :lol:

Yeah, we were saying the same thing. I was just, sort of expanding and amplifying a bit. :wink:

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 12:50 pm

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2014/01/killing-net-neutrality-means-killing-economic-equality-access/

"...An open internet is essential to our nation’s educational achievement, freedom of speech, and economic growth. Tuesday’s ruling flies in the face of intellectual freedom, a key library community principle that supports the right of all people to seek information without restriction. We believe the internet functions best when it is open to everyone, without interference by internet providers. The American Library Association will continue to work to ensure all information resources have equitable internet access — not just those supported by groups with deep pockets."
(Barbara Stripling, President of The American Library Association)

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 3:53 pm

Another thing... This selective throttling could really screw people with cloud dependent tech like the Kindle Fire or those google Nexus tablets.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 5:02 pm

Maybe then amazon and google could be ISP's.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2014, 5:24 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Another thing... This selective throttling could really screw people with cloud dependent tech like the Kindle Fire or those google Nexus tablets.

I can foresee a situation where Microsoft pays Verizon to prioritise Bing and office 365 over Google and Google apps.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2014, 5:43 pm

alpineglow wrote:
Maybe then amazon and google could be ISP's.

Actually I think Google are working on that:
https://fiber.google.com/about/

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 6:32 pm

Austin, TX, Kansas City, and Provo, Utah are the only places listed as places that will have google fiber soon. I wonder how this will all turn out.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2014, 1:56 pm

alpineglow wrote:
Austin, TX, Kansas City, and Provo, Utah are the only places listed as places that will have google fiber soon. I wonder how this will all turn out.

Either the ruling will be overturned, or you will have a situation where poor Americans and their children get high speed access to low grade data sponsored by rich vested interests.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 12:43 pm

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." - Abraham Lincoln

We are the American populous, we are the 99%, we are legion, we do not forgive, we do not forget.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 9:43 pm

That really sucks eggs that this is happening on the web. I guess Canada will be next, because we're that close to the US.