Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

crubs
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2014, 12:14 am

This is a neat movie that came out a little while ago, and has spawned shorts, a TV show, and some video games. I was wondering if anybody else thought that the main character, Hiccup, appears to be AS. I haven't seen any commentary on the matter, nor have I seen much previous posting regarding the topic.

But let's analyze him:
He's a socially akward. outcast teenager with no friends. He has exceptional skills in engineering, and is far more passive than his viking community. He also develops an interest in dragons, whom he relates more easily too, and whom he begins to study carefully and methodically.

Hiccup looks a lot like an aspie to me; of course the series can't bring this up, since ASD was all but unknown at the time this story takes place. Thoughts anyone?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 1:02 am

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but you never know. It is a fictional character but they are created by humans perhaps even as mirrors of people they know.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 6:54 am

And now, you should analyze why he is not an aspie.

Example: He detected the message ("eat it") when the dragon depressed his eyes.

crubs

17 Jan 2014, 10:49 pm

Not every aspie will fail at something like that. I'd probably be confused, but I have managed to interpret "language" of animals in the past. I knew when my cat wanted some of my doughnut, or when a dog wanted to fetch, or just today when a cat wanted to be scratched and stood on his hind legs to reach for my hand. Hiccup is undoubtedly on the mild to moderate side of the spectrum if we could classify him as such.

He certaily seems to fit better than Hannibal's Will Graham.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm

Asperger's is more than social awkwardness and a strong interest in something scientific. How to Train Your Dragon is one of my favorite movies, but it never crossed my mind.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 8:23 pm

I definitely don't see him as aspie. He perfectly fits the highly-sensitive boy cathegory though. Take a look on hsp's :)

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 7:22 pm

I didn't think he was aspie.

My favorite part was at the end when he woke up with a prosthetic leg and he didn't think it was a big deal. I also have a prosthetic leg and I don't mind it at all. In fact, I think it's pretty cool! My niece says I'm part robot. :lol:

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm

How to Train Your Dragon was a great movie. I first watched it a few years back in a high school health class, of all places. Granted, it was right before winter break, and we didn't really have much to do, so that's what we did. :P

I never really thought of the main character as being an aspie, though I did think he was an interesting character overall. I mean, the fact that he's a shrimpy, logical, engineering pacifist living amongst a bunch of warlike brutes does set an interesting tone for the story.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 3:36 pm

I really liked How To Train Your Dragon, was exciting.