Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

aspieornotaspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jan 2014, 3:38 pm

I tried to answer several online tests, like aspie quiz, and they all feature some questions like this one:

I tend to have very strong interests, which I get upset about if I can't pursue.
Definitely agree Slightly agree Slightly disagree Definitely disagree

Or

Have others commented or have you observed yourself that you make unusual facial expressions?

I find it very difficult to answers those...
I mean, for me, at least, i'm very very unaware of those things. In the first example, i guess I slightly agree, but who knows, maybe I get really upset and don't know about it.
Or maybe I make unusual facial expressions, but no one ever told me so, or I never noticed it.

What about this one?
Do you instinctively know when it is your turn to speak when talking on the phone?

The point is. Wouldn't it be better if someone who knows you, answered these?
Also, if I'm going to be diagnosed, would the psycologist interview other people as well?

I would probably fail to answer much of these questions in person.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 4:24 pm

Those tests are very subjective and are only useful as screening tools, to let a professional know if you should go through the diagnostic process.
Yes some of the questions are hard to answer, but the person administering the tests could help clarify questions you are having difficulty with so you would have a better idea of how to answer them.
the psychologist would usually require an interview with your parents or siblings or someone who knew you as a child, because one of the requirements of an autism spectrum disorder is that it is present in childhood.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 4:38 pm

Personally people have told me I can tend to pull my face around...my default is frowny face (usually because im thinking not because I am always grumpy) but when animated I can tend to pull all sorts of exaggerated facial expressions and people have mentioned it.

I also talk over people on the phone by mistake or I don't speak when I should apparently. Either I talk and realise the person is still talking before we both stop and do the "you speak" "no you speak" dance (a bit like when you are trying to walk past someone coming in the opposite direction in the street and you both keep going the same way) or I get the complaint "are you paying attention/are you going to reply"..huh.....

Apparently I sometimes miss my cue on the phone.

As for my hobbies...oohhhhhhh don't separate me from my babies. You get one upset bumble when people do that so I can answer a definite yes to that question.

The tests are not conclusive but have a think about any comments people might have made in the past.