Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 4:59 am

I've noticed that, like most people, the way my voice sounds to myself is different than what other people perceive it as. Unlike most people however, I have almost no idea how I really sound when I am speaking, or how I can change it so that it sounds a certain way. Naturally, this not only means that I have a hard time controlling the tone of my voice, but also that I am unable to really imitate accents or voices. This may not seem like a big deal in day to day life, but when I'm talking to random people, sometimes they get put off by my tone, and sometimes when I joke around with my friends (something I've always had a hard time doing regardless, as it mainly seems to be an NT thing to do), my inability to imitate accents and such makes it even harder for me to "keep up". As well, whenever I try to sing along to music, I just sound terrible, or at least I think I do.

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 28 Jan 2014, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2014, 5:27 am

I am pretty much the same. I can't vary my voice. I can't do accents, either when telling stories etc or when trying to speak another language. The only language I studied (other than English) was French and whilst I was pretty good at writing and translating, when I actually tried to speak out loud it was a disaster - I spoke in a completely robotic, disjointed way. I can't sing either or read out loud competently.

None of these issues is a big handicap but it's just another little thing that distances me from other people, something that makes me seem less warm and lively.

crubs
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jan 2014, 5:40 pm

I'm actually the opposite. I can do all sorts of accents. I can hardly even control some of them. I find myself speaking in a southern US or British (I can do a few) accent as kind of a stim. I can also do Australian, Irish, German, Russian, Arab, and Oriental.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 5:46 pm

I mimic peoples accents all day long. I can't help it.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 7:37 pm

There are a lot of actors who can not imitate accents. Keven Costner was completely unable to do an English accent for his Robin Hood role. Also there are many actors who can not bear watching their own movies because of how they sound and look.
Personally, I am like a Myna bird. I can impersonate others extremely well. There is a guy we all know from Brooklyn New York (I'm from the west coast) and I can sound just like him.