Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 2:22 pm

I go to a major university and I am trying to get involved with the groups where I can be around others.

One of them is an organization where they reach out to people of a certain faith. They do things like services and other fun activities with students at their house. I got myself involved because I follow a lot of the same costums as someone who is interfaith. While I was allowed to go for a while, the leaders found out about the interfaith system and limited what I could attend. This is mainly since their house where the services and events are held is too small. This is until their center on campus opens.

I have only been allowed to attend a few lunch and learns and a couple of parties that are not at their house.

I also feel that when I go to the Lunch and Learns that the couple has been somewhat cold to me.

Whenever I ask a question or talk they say "What?" I often have to repeat myself.

It also hurts when I have to hear them make announcements about how everyone but me can attend because I am not directly of some faith.

I love this group to death but it is getting to the point that I am about ready to speak with whoever is in charge of their organization on campus. However, I don't want to gossip, be ugly, or nasty. I just want to voice my concerns. What should I say?

EchoNOLA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2014, 3:45 pm

Depending on which faith it is, I can see this. I have received similar "lesser" treatment/exclusion from people in the past.

Sadly, there is not much to be done about it. If it is their house that they live in especially.

However, if you feel as though you are being excluded in a way that is preventing you from learning about their faith, I would speak with someone higher up in the organization.

My reason for this is that how can any faith hope to influence people and gain followers if they limit the availability and access to information and fellowship. It's just not how faith/community works.

They can't say "Please join us!" and then say "But only if you already know everything and believe what we say implicitly without any effort on our part. We want nothing to do with you until that time."

It's just counterproductive.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm

Scientology limits it. And you can always ask to join. I've never heard of any religious main stream organization that actually excluded someone based on faith. They normally welcome members of other faiths so they can show them and share with them. I mean I could walk into a Synagogue and they would likely welcome me with open arms for coming to learn.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 12:21 pm

It's not Scientology and I would not be interested in anyway. No this is another type of faith where the two systems believe in the same deity pretty much. They are on different speeds pretty much.

What I do not understand is that they invite me to lunch and learn and then when I go, I don't appear to exist.