Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 10:04 pm

one of the reasons i dont write for too long on here is because after a while of writing, it stops making sense.

i learned this when i was young, i would write essays and think i did a good job, but when i read it out loud it would sound broken, unintelligent and repetitive. i know Why this happens though, which i figured out on my own

i can take me a few hours to come up with a post for WP, so i would re-peat my post over and over and over again in my head until it was ready, when i start writing i realize i forgot something, so i would add it in the last minute but since i didn't have time to prepare it, it doesn't sound right, so i end up deleting it.

anyone else have this problem?

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 10:17 pm

It takes me a very long time to organize communication, talking takes longer most of the time and people get impatient with me, writing requires rereading and editing and rewriting. It gets exhausting and discouraging because I can try really hard, and it may still not make sense to where people understand me.

I make sense to me, though. It's just hard to word things and properly communicate my point.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2014, 10:29 pm

My writing is a bit... all over the place. I tend to think far ahead in my sentences I start mixing up things so it doesn't make any sense.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 10:39 pm

It takes a little while to figure out what I want to say, and once I do, it takes longer to say it. I'll have the idea and find it hard to effectively communicate it. I don't feel I stop making sense to me, I have trouble thinking in words all the time and get confused by too many words and trying too hard, and I'll hear myself not putting the words together smoothly sometimes.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 10:55 pm

I have exactly the opposite problem. I can communicate much more articulately through the keyboard than I can speaking, because it gives me a little more time to compose my thoughts before I express them. My problem with posts is knowing when to shut up. :silent:

TerryD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Feb 2014, 11:05 pm

I have the same problem. That is why I have made fewer than ten posts here on the WP forum throughout the two years that I have been a member. There are so many good posts that I would like to reply to. However, by the time I figure out what I want to say, either someone else has already made a similar comment, or I decide that my comment may be too lame.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:28 pm

I don't have the problem to the extreme extent you do, but I have always 'written and edited' at the same time. If I'm pressured, there's usually a significant discrepancy in the fluency and integrity of something I write when compared to if I am not pressured and can constantly look over and relate/make sense of what I've written, and change/remove parts that don't seem to make sense or appear sloppy and out of place.

If I go on a writing spree then I might contradict myself because I'm thinking of other contexts or perhaps even write something that doesn't really make sense or depict what I really wanted to state. It's one of the reasons I have a really hard time writing essays, in that while my friends and other students can do it within an hour or less, I tend to take multiple hours somewhat trying to perfect my information and structure.

EDIT - Also I tend to edit nearly all of my posts at least 2-3 times. XD

Willard wrote:
I have exactly the opposite problem. I can communicate much more articulately through the keyboard than I can speaking, because it gives me a little more time to compose my thoughts before I express them. My problem with posts is knowing when to shut up. :silent:

I suppose I can relate to this, in a way.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 12:27 am

If you are one of those who can render sentences faster in your head then you can type it out and find that the speed hindrance of your typing is causing you to forget or second guess, then try using voice recognition. Yes it will have errors in it and you will need to train it to get good at it. But it will help you get those sentences and paragraphs out of your head and in writing fast enough before they fade from your memory. and once you have it in writing. You will have something solid to work with.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 7:28 am

Despite that fact that i post frequently here and elsewhere.
I have a hard time with shaping sentences and putting words in order.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 8:46 am

LupaLuna wrote:
If you are one of those who can render sentences faster in your head then you can type it out and find that the speed hindrance of your typing is causing you to forget or second guess

i guess im more visual base, my verbal thinking is useless, slow and repetitive.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm

I find it easier to express myself via writing than I do when speaking. The problem with my writing is I can be very verbose. I think most people get lost somewhere. I have had a number of TL:DR replies over the years and many complaints about my verbosity and walls of text.

I can talk a lot sometimes but usually only when I am allowed to rattle on and on about my pet subject.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 12:13 am

I write well but it takes time. I write a few sentences, get up and pace, write s few more, get up and get a drink. It takes a little while but I write well.

My speech can get a little wonky though. I can stutter, forget how to say words I know, speak my sentences out of order, or skip entire sections of a sentence. It happens most when I am tired and stressed. Ussually right after leaving work when I go to get food before going home, stutter through my whole order.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 12:25 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
If you are one of those who can render sentences faster in your head then you can type it out and find that the speed hindrance of your typing is causing you to forget or second guess

i guess im more visual base, my verbal thinking is useless, slow and repetitive.

But you're also very young. When I was your age I was the same way. I'm a pattern thinker, not a verbal thinker. Every sentence I had to write used to be torture. And as for speaking? No one really understood what I was trying to say. Then, when I went to college, it was typical for me to be assigned to write 50 pages worth of research per semester. That was brutal. I recall one teaching assistant telling me "What you've tried to write about Kafka is brilliant; but this paper is a complete mess. So I gave you a B."

So after four years of that, then graduate school, then more school, now I can finally write and speak well without either action being an exercise in torture.

My point being: With practice, you can learn to write. I'll be 45 in two weeks. It took me 20 years to get to the point where I am today. I just never gave up, and it paid off. So my advice to you is, don't give up.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2014, 6:14 pm

I tend to think something verbally over and over again before trying to commit it to writing. Then I usually have to read it back and edit it a couple times. Short texts are often easy enough to get right first time, especially if functional in nature.

However, for any serious discussion, it's difficult to structure things correctly due to interlinked ideas and it often takes several refactorings (or normalisations, as database experts call it) to keep ideas from being repeated and the paragraphs from becoming unnecessarily verbose.

So yes, I find it easier to express myself in writing when the ideas are complicated or very important; however, it does take several drafts for the biggest idea sets. And in practical terms, my typing speed is far less than my lightning-fast thinking speed, so the sooner they invent reliable speech recognition (I mean as in Star Trek level reliable), the better :)