HELP!! Is my job suitable for me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

rurufu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2014, 8:25 am

Hi all!
My occupation is OR nurse (since 2010). It was my dream occupation or so I thought. I worked at a small town in Bavaria from 2010 - 2012. I was getting constant migraine attacks. They all said that it's from the location of the town - it's a hell hole for people with migraine so I blamed the topography. Now I'm back in North Rhine Westphalia, still working in OR. The problem is that I often get attacks here as well and I seem to be suffering from constant fatigue. I didn't have this ailment before -before I went to Bavaria- and migraine occurred seldom (once in two months at most).

I consulted a neurologist about my migraine and she said that my body compensates my stress by ways of migraine attacks as it always happen after the stress situation. I'd be happy if I could get by the week without having one attack.

All this was before I know about Asperger's. I am undiagnosed. I've read that many Asperger's get migraine and fatigue as overload reactions.

I have a new schedule with a different neurologist due to my migraine.
I'm wondering if I should tell him about Asperger's?? I'm just afraid that I'm destroying my body with all the high dosed tablets that I have to take during the attacks :cry: . Maybe I should look for a different job?
I'd be glad of any good advice and suggestions.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 10:47 am

I wish I had an answer.

I got horrible and frequent migraines over the last year. Underwent septoplasty in December.

I'm better, but I'm out of the job, so I can't determine how much of it was environment/stress and how much was just me.

Do you keep a journal of when you get them and what circumstances happened before the attack? It might help.

rurufu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2014, 12:25 pm

I don't keep a record of it but it's a good idea. I know that I often get it if there's a new situation e.g. an operation that I don't know about and I have to help out, after situations where I don't have routine and don't know what the next step of the process is, or working under pressure if I don't like the surgeon, for example.

I also had a terrible migraine that lasted almost two days after I had an argument with a colleague. Everyone doesn't get along with her and she likes to sort of bully me and another new colleague as well. She kept on whining that all other people except her are rubbish so I asked her why she's still working with us if we're all sh***y according to her? It probably got her angry she started banging things while she was moving them from one place to the other. It made me nervous. She started telling me that she can't understand my behaviour, she said I'm stubborn and would not listen to what she said (I must say that I have a problem following rules if they don't seem logical to me).
She's doesn't have any important position at work so I don't care but I was so upset. After that I didn't talk to her. I couldn't bring myself to utter a word to her. It was like my mouth was glued together, just mumbling and groaning sounds. Not because I'm scared or the like. I just dislike her, that's all. Bobbing my knee up and down during my break helped a bit (is that stimming?) as I couldn't really go out. I had the urge to run around the hospital grounds but it would take too long than my break could allow. I had a migraine attack that evening and lasted the whole day the next day.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 1:40 pm

Also look in to your diet.

I know some foods may trigger a headache.

Before my surgery, I had a bone spur going sideways in my nose that pressed into soft tissue. The slightest inflammation was triggering a migraine. Foods, allergens, etc. can trigger inflammation.

I had a borderline migraine the other day (post surgery), but it was confined to the bridge of my nose.

My OTC meds took care of it. Chief ingredient is caffeine. This is a common migraine med because it changes blood pressure (still don't get how that stops the migraine pain). Of course, if used the meds to much or had too much regular caffeine, I'd get migraines from withdrawal of the caffeine from my diet. This is why I avoid consuming caffeine products.

In your case, though, you will probably need to see a neurologist to start isolating what's triggering your migraines. If they are going off after incidents of stress, I would suppose it's a blood pressure trigger (caused by stress).

rurufu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2014, 2:12 pm

I don't drink coffee, well, sometimes powdered Cappuccino.

I'll talk about it with the neurologist.

Thanks a lot for the tip!!