white people: Do you secretly wish you were black?

Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you wish you were black?
I wish I was black 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I wish I were a different race that doesn't fit into the category of white or black 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I wish I were of mixed race 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I don't care/don't wish I were black 86%  86%  [ 44 ]
Total votes : 51

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 10:48 am

I imagine that people who would answer yes wouldn't be open about it so even though I've never known another white person that would answer yes I believe that there are people who would. I want to see how many there are.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 10:54 am

It's never even occurred to me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 11:01 am

There are some days that I have fantasies about it. I'd have a 60s look of a different kind. :afro:

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 11:12 am

I like myself as I am now, ain't got nothing against black people BTW.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm

Yes, there are times when I wish I could be of a different race. I feel ashamed to be white because of all the horrible things my ancestors probably did. Doesn't help that I am of German descent (on both sides of my family), so it's very likely that I could have had some ancestors who were Nazis. :(

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 1:18 pm

I've never wanted to be a different race. I've lamented that I didn't inherit porcelen skin from my dad, because I like the ethereal look, but that's it. I'm ok being white.

thumbhole
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2014, 2:06 pm

What a strange question. You haven't even given us the option to answer: "No. Definitely not."

Why are you asking white people (specifically) if they want to be black (specifically)?

Why not just ask a general question and say to people in general: "are you happy with your skin colour? Yes or no?"

I am perfectly happy with my skin colour. (I'm white, by the way).

Not wanting to be black does not make me a racist. It just means I'm used to my body being the way it is. I would not want to look like anybody else, even if said person were much more beautiful than I am. I just want to carry on being myself.

Are you perhaps referring not to skin colour, but to culture? i.e perhaps there are white people who envy the way black people can dance / the food they eat / the way they talk. If so, my answer is still no. I like being who I am.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 2:16 pm

Why... ?

A lot of first- and second-generation people from West Africa visit my workplace and some of what I see/hear about their cultures is very appealing, but there's a lot more to it than just "black."

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 3:06 pm

No, but I'd love to have a darker skin color - you know, such a shade like Arabs have. In Europe not many people have it, we are pale so we look so non outstanding.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 5:43 pm

thumbhole wrote:
What a strange question. You haven't even given us the option to answer: "No. Definitely not."

I gave an option to answer no. It's the last option. I don't think it is necessary to add a definitely to don't wish I were black. How different is "I don't wish I were black" from "I definitely don't wish I were black"?

Why are you asking white people (specifically) if they want to be black (specifically)?

I'm asking white people specifically because someone very close to me has expressed this feeling and I don't know if it's typical or not. I wanted to see how many people shared it. I wonder if my friend has an extreme form of white guilt and I know white guilt is very common so I thought maybe a part of the guilt/shame that many white people have is wishing you weren't white. Even though I never hear people express those feelings it could just be that they're too ashamed of having them to say anything. I thought people might be more open about it online. It's looking like it isn't typical for white people to wish they were black or any other race. I've got the same poll on a few other sites. My friend's feelings don't seem to be shared by most white people.

Why not just ask a general question and say to people in general: "are you happy with your skin colour? Yes or no?"

The dynamics are different for different people. Only white people experience white guilt so that would make a difference. White people don't usually experience racial discrimination while some other people do so that would also make a difference. I only wanted to poll people of the same racial group because then there's a common factor.

I am perfectly happy with my skin colour. (I'm white, by the way).

Not wanting to be black does not make me a racist. It just means I'm used to my body being the way it is. I would not want to look like anybody else, even if said person were much more beautiful than I am. I just want to carry on being myself.

Nobody ever said that. If anything wishing you were black could be seen as racist depending on the thought processes behind it. I'd think someone who wishes zhe were black is more likely to be racist than somebody who doesn't. Nobody's accusing you.

Are you perhaps referring not to skin colour, but to culture? i.e perhaps there are white people who envy the way black people can dance / the food they eat / the way they talk. If so, my answer is still no. I like being who I am.

I'd say I'm referring to both. Blackness and everything it entails which includes culture.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 5:55 pm

Uh...no. I like being white. And I don't experience any guilt for being white, either.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm

OP... "black" is not a culture, nor does it entail a certain culture. West Africa is not ghetto kids is not everyday American or anything else, and from what I hear even "West Africa" can be a little vague.

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2014, 6:11 pm

What kind of question is this ? This is Nazism as if being black is the supreme race of human beings. :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 6:13 pm

I feel embarrassed about what my race has done to people of colour over the course of history.

MrOddBall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2014, 6:14 pm

MrOddBall wrote:
What kind of question is this ? This is Nazism as if being black is the supreme race of human beings. :(

I don't believe in a supreme race or gender and would like to say that I'm a humanitarian and believe that we all are equal no matter the race, gender, different ways of thinking or mental conditions. I would also like to say that anyone could be good, evil or whatever despite what or whom they are.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 7:20 pm

coffeebean wrote:
OP... "black" is not a culture, nor does it entail a certain culture. West Africa is not ghetto kids is not everyday American or anything else, and from what I hear even "West Africa" can be a little vague.

Ok. Black isn't a culture. My mistake. When did I say West Africa? When did I say ghetto kids?