Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 2:27 am

I'm pretty good at using sarcasm; it's my main form of humour. I'll usually catch it 90% of the time when others use it, though every so often something will fly right over my head and I'll have to ask if they were being serious.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

aspieZim
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2014, 2:39 am

it depends which side of me is dominant at the moment, normal me and aspie me i get maybe 20% of sarcasm and i don't really know how to use it, strangely when i switch to my socio/psycho self i totally get it and able to use it. that part of myself i actually can read people really well and interact at a level equal to or slightly better than the average person, i just lack charm that most psychos have.

i don't even know where or how I split into so many parts, and how is it possible that when i'm on version of myself I understand it and use it, but in another i'm without the ability to recognize it or use it.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 6:21 am

I still don´t get every sarcastic comment but am getting better.
I use sarcasm myself but sometimes it is misunderstood. That also happens the other way around: I was not sarcastic but others thought so.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 7:09 am

i imagine "sarcasm" to be a sentiment composed of multiple progressive and related innuendo's that have the attribute of secrecy (or "under-the-breath-ness") removed, and replaced with intentionally overacted zealousness.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 8:16 am

b9 wrote:
i do not know how to be sarcastic, but i do know how to make people very angry.

example: (when i was senior programmer at infohouse interviewing a girl for a job)

me: so just fill in your name and the rest of the details and i will be back in a moment.
her:ok.
me: (when i came back and looked at her sheet) sorry but i think you spelled your first name wrong. it should be "deborah" and not "debra"
her: are you serious?! i know what my name is!
me: i understand that, but you spelled it incorrectly.
her: are you mad?!?
me: no but i am busy so i will bid you farewell and you will be contacted within 3 days as to whether your application invites a further interview
------------
i would not do that kind of thing now because i have a better understanding that people are real.

This could be trouble some with people like me, I would have taken you up on your invitation to leave and walked straight to the EDD and filed a sex discrimination suit and then to an attorneys office. #serious #notsarcasm #feminism

I read sarcasm less than 10% of the time, everyone who actually knows me has learned to tag - friends of friends very often blow it and arguments ensue - any time I do it I tag

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 8:28 am

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
b9 wrote:
i do not know how to be sarcastic, but i do know how to make people very angry.

example: (when i was senior programmer at infohouse interviewing a girl for a job)

me: so just fill in your name and the rest of the details and i will be back in a moment.
her:ok.
me: (when i came back and looked at her sheet) sorry but i think you spelled your first name wrong. it should be "deborah" and not "debra"
her: are you serious?! i know what my name is!
me: i understand that, but you spelled it incorrectly.
her: are you mad?!?
me: no but i am busy so i will bid you farewell and you will be contacted within 3 days as to whether your application invites a further interview
------------
i would not do that kind of thing now because i have a better understanding that people are real.

This could be trouble some with people like me, I would have taken you up on your invitation to leave and walked straight to the EDD and filed a sex discrimination suit and then to an attorneys office. #serious #notsarcasm #feminism

I read sarcasm less than 10% of the time, everyone who actually knows me has learned to tag - friends of friends very often blow it and arguments ensue - any time I do it I tag

there was no verdict to argue over. i made no verdict. it was not sexist. i just did not like her because she did not like me. i did not dislike her because she was a girl.
i treated her like a specimen that i tested various ideas on, but none of them were sexual, and all of them were when i was in my 20's and i am now in my 40's and i look with empty eyes on what i did when i was young.

look i know you are not inclined toward males and you are unlikely to identify with my mindset, so i will just say that no-one ever experienced a career wide injury caused by me.

bye.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 8:31 am

and i did give her the job. she was strong and laughed rather than wilted and retracted.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 9:19 am

A little bit of sarcasm and snarkiness never hurt anybody.