Taking things literally care to share a few examples ?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2014, 4:53 pm

Sedentarian wrote:
I think "Feast @5" means exactly 5:00 not 5:01 or 4:59

One time I was pushing a cart around the school hallways and a staff member asked me what I was doing, I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to be doing that, and I thought he was just curious.

I always ask my boyfriend to come help me. He says "In a minute" so i come back in a minute and he yells at me "I didnt really mean, in a MINUTE"

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 5:12 pm

I was at the flea market with my husband and I was ready to leave a booth to look somewhere else and my husband was taking too long. We couldn't just split up and do our own thing because I didn't have my cell phone with so he would have no way of calling me or me calling him to find him. So I get impatient and he tells me to give him sixty seconds. I start to count down to myself and he told me "not literally, I mean five minutes."

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 5:23 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I was at the flea market with my husband and I was ready to leave a booth to look somewhere else and my husband was taking too long. We couldn't just split up and do our own thing because I didn't have my cell phone with so he would have no way of calling me or me calling him to find him. So I get impatient and he tells me to give him sixty seconds. I start to count down to myself and he told me "not literally, I mean five minutes."

When somebody says "Give me sixty seconds" or something similar I always 1. Take it literally. 2. Take it literally at first then realize they do not mean it literally.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 5:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

When somebody says "Give me sixty seconds" or something similar I always 1. Take it literally. 2. Take it literally at first then realize they do not mean it literally.

Next time someone says that, I am going to ask them if they mean sixty seconds or longer.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 5:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I have probably done that too so that would explain why my mother would then ask me to hand them to her after asking me where something is.

I was watching TV in the basement one time and my husband was on his computer. He tells me, "I am going to bed soon" and I say okay. Then he says again "I want to go to bed" and I say "So go to be." He laughs and says "That is a social cue you missed, I mean I want to go to bed but you're keeping me up because you're in her watching TV." I tell him why didn't he say so and he said he did, he said he was going to bed soon. I told him "So when you told me you were going to bed soon, you meant "turn off the TV and get out of this room now, I am going to bed now" and he laughed. I guess I do have my sense of humor of how I interpret things when people don't say what they mean and then I find out what they actually meant and then I translate what they said to what they actually meant. So the next time my husband told me he was going to bed soon I asked him if that is his way of saying get out of here so he can go to bed and turn the TV off and he said yes. I learn from experience. Going to bed soon=they are going to bed now so leave the room.

Oh, I could fill a whole page relating the missed verbal cues from an NT spouse over 11 years of marriage. :lol:

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 5:34 pm

Some examples:

"I'm getting low on underwear" = "I'd like you to do the laundry for a change".

"Are you getting out of bed soon?" = "I'd like you to make the coffee this morning, and bring me a cup while I'm still in bed".

"There's dog hair all over the floors" = "I'd like you to do some vacuuming".

She finally realized that taking hints isn't my strongest suit. :D

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 6:23 pm

dianthus wrote:
Does anyone else notice that although you KNOW something is not meant to be taken literally, you still don't feel sure and you keep questioning it?

As an example, what I wrote about here last week...the woman who wanted the lamp I was buying joked that she was going to knock me down after I left the store and take it from me. I KNOW she was joking but my brain just doesn't compute that very well. It puts me in this weird state of confusion, like, joking, not joking? joking, not joking?

I couldn't help but to visualize the scene she described, that she would actually knock me down. I imagined her coming at me to do it and imagined how it would feel and it scared me. It's like I automatically visualize what people say, and the image of it happening competes with the "concept" that it's a joke and I don't know which one to believe.

I just don't think it is right to joke about things like that. It might be okay with someone you have known a long time, but not with a stranger.

Cristina491
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2014, 6:43 pm

I was aaaalways getting sent to the principal's office for silly stuff like correcting my teachers, uniform violations, etc. So one week when I'd already been sent to the office a bunch, I walk in there for like the 8th time and the principal looks up at me from his desk, rolls his eyes, and sighs "Again? Just take off your shoes and stay a while, why don't you?"

So I stood there in his fancy office and took off my shoes. Could not for the life of me figure out why he got mad.

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2014, 9:59 pm

I remember a group of older kids asking me if I wanted to be "jumped in" to their gang. I saw a trampoline in the yard and immediately thought of the show Our Gang (a black and white show with a group of kids that hang out in a "gang") and thought "cool friends want me to jump on the trampoline". I said "yes, I want to be jumped in".

They proceeded to beat the sh*t out of me...All 5 of them. I was 8. I was then "jumped in" and their living punching bag.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 12:46 am

This memory came to me at work.

I was 17 and my mom was explaining to me about orgasms and she told me what can cause one and listed some things and then I decided to add some things too so I said "Exercising" and my mom just started laughing. She was talking about people breathing hard when they have an orgasm and their hearts beating fast when they have one and she told me that does not apply to exercises and working out and doing sports and when you are working hard.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 1:15 am

This isn't exactly what the OP means, but I thought, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, was a documentary about the making of the Roger Rabbit movie, since I only knew the word, "framed" in regard to a picture frame.