Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Cristina491
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2014, 6:20 pm

I LOVE the sound of the dishwasher running -- helps me concentrate like nothing else ever has. Washer and dryer combo is probably my second favorite. :)

Anyone else use any background noises like that to help with focusing? What do you use?

It seems counterintuitive because I definitely hate auditory distractions, but I've recently noticed that I'm always more productive with background sounds. Anyone know why this stuff works??

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 6:52 pm

I always have music on, regardless of what I am doing, decreases anxiety and also aids concentration.

the sound of my laptop is also good.

and I found while on holiday the constant sound of the fan was also good.

I cant handle complete silence at all

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:17 pm

i have a whooshing sound machine

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:18 pm

I like a baseball game on the TV. It's relaxing to listen to it while doing other things. Radio baseball is OK too, but I want to be able to see what happened when something happens.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 8:37 pm

I like music in the background or sometimes this:

LINK

the brown noise generator not the white noise one. Brown noise is a lower pitch. Pink noise is in-between.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2014, 10:24 pm

I've been listening to Stars Of The Lid's Artificial Pine 'Arch Song' for about the last few years. It's drone. I find its harmonic resonance really theraputic. It can put me in a very relaxed place and de-stress me very quickly.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 4:54 am

HATE WHITE NOISE!! !! !! !

it gives me a headache, i start to hear Rythme that isnt there, it becomes repetative and drives me nuts. and the more white noise i hear, the louder the looping songs get in my head and the less i can concentrate on whatever im doing, makes me want to pull my hair out.

anything like clothes washers and dryers, air conditioners, heaters, fridges, TV static, radio static, speakers with no music coming out, UGH. i can hear it WAY too clearly.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

alwaystomorrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2014, 1:28 pm

I kind of circle. Most of the time, I'm a fan of a super quiet environment, don't listen to any music for months on end (if I do, I'll get the song or melody stuck in my head, which is really annoying) and even get annoyed with/distracted by low hums like those ZombieBrideXD mentioned. I'll put earplugs in, stick headphones on to my head and run rain, ocean, fire, or wind noises (via mynoise.net or similar sites) at a high volume to block out the rest. My computer fan is the only exception, no idea why.

However, every now and then I get bouts of tinnitus, in which case I have to put on quiet music (instrumental works best) or abovementioned noises, otherwise the ringing distracts me too much.

And then there's the odd three days or such every few months when I keep listening to the same playlist over and over and over again. Still haven't been able to figure out what sets that off.