Page 14 of 14 [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2017, 6:43 pm

On a side note, it does look as if Wrong Planet had a lot more members, and livelier discussions, a very long time ago.

I wonder if some of those Russian trolls could have been assassins as well. :shaking:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 7:52 pm

StinkyDog wrote:
On a side note, it does look as if Wrong Planet had a lot more members, and livelier discussions, a very long time ago.

I wonder if some of those Russian trolls could have been assassins as well. :shaking:

Well, if I turn up dead, don't believe the official story!

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2017, 11:02 am

Well, this is interesting. Three years ago, the paid Russian trolls were very active in supporting Russia's aggression against Ukraine.

http://www.stopfake.org/en/tag/pro-russian-trolls/

Now, bring up Ukraine, and not so much as a nibble any more. They've all been assigned to support the Kremlin's official views on Trump.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 57641.html

I suppose, from Putin's perspective, the Trump scandal has at least diverted public attention away from Ukraine.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 7:45 pm

Excellent bump. This thread is a goldmine. Jacoby advocates for oppressed POC and I make very little sense at all.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 8:56 pm

StinkyDog wrote:
By the way, it does appear that Wrong Planet was infiltrated by Russian operatives years ago.

Putin's been running his misinformation campaign since 2012, so it wouldn't be shocking if it were true.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 11:03 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Jacoby advocates for oppressed POC

Back then, the Russians weren't as far removed from their ostensibly anti-racist past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ekfej_kmHQ

During 2016, the Russians adopted a decidedly racist tack.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... hobia.html

Quote:
...Putin’s propagandists helped Trump, and weakened our country and our alliances, by posing as right-wing Americans and stoking fear of immigrants and minorities.... Russia systematically exploits divisions in the United States and other countries. The exploitation is done by online trolls and bots, synchronized to spread messages and false stories that promote cultural tension....

..."Russia targets specific audiences inside electorates amenable to their messages and resulting influence—in particular alt-right audiences incensed over immigration, refugees and economic hardship.” In oral testimony, Watts described how Russian-orchestrated trolls and bots, tracked by his research team, have targeted voters in Europe, “promoting fears of immigration or false claims of refugee criminality.” Eugene Rumer, director of the Russia and Eurasia Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, testified that in Germany, Russia is helping the far-right “Alternative for Germany” party and fomenting anger at Chancellor Angela Merkel for accepting Muslim refugees...

It is understandable that the paid Russian trolls are reluctant to revisit the past when their propaganda was different.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 11:19 am

By the way, I do give the Russians credit for shaming us into passing the Civil Rights Act, taking better care of the disabled and of senior citizens, and other progressive measures over the past half-century.

Now, however, the Russians under Putin are out to destroy our civilization, to purely diabolical ends.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 11:40 am

Fair enough.