Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 7:25 pm

I've only started to educate myself on this recently but it sounds like nasty stuff. Apparently fracking is the practice of drilling into underground deposits in order to free natural gas. The issue is that it has been contaminating water supplies and people have ended up with brown sludge and other nastiness coming out of their taps.

What do the usual suspects here think?

My deviant art profile

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 7:30 pm

We have a lot of it where I live but they can't do it around the city and that's where I live. We have a lot of seismic activity and people wonder if it's because of all the fracking.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 7:37 pm

If methane gas is coming out of your tap, you're going to have a bad time.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 8:03 pm

it should be put on the back shelf as a accessible backup it should be a good idea to keep some semi easy energy around for emergency use

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 9:40 pm

I have cracks in my drywall from fracking earthquakes.Once the furniture moved,the bed was shaking and no one was on it.Instead of practicing good earthquake safety,I was fascinated by the headboard slapping against the wall.Never saw that before.Then this saying got going around,Arkansas,Land of a Thousand Quakes.
http://www.stuarthsmith.com/earthquake- ... mile-area/

RedStar98
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2014, 9:51 pm

I'm completely against it, always have been, always will be. It's another simply ridiculous excuse for energy that exists only to benefit the companies that run it, whilst at the same time destroying the environment and severely impacting local people. There are far better alternatives.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 12:53 am

Misslizard wrote:
I have cracks in my drywall from fracking earthquakes.Once the furniture moved,the bed was shaking and no one was on it.Instead of practicing good earthquake safety,I was fascinated by the headboard slapping against the wall.Never saw that before.Then this saying got going around,Arkansas,Land of a Thousand Quakes.

So northern Ark is experiencing this too? So is Central OK.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 1:03 am

Caudrilla have a fracking operation near where I live. There have been more earthquakes recorded since they started.

I don't know if I'm pro or anti fracking, but Blackpool direly needs jobs.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 3:48 am

Pobbles wrote:
Caudrilla have a fracking operation near where I live. There have been more earthquakes recorded since they started.

Blackpool is a windy town near the sea. There could be plenty of jobs made in the Green power industry, if money was invested correctly.

My deviant art profile

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 3:58 am

thomas81 wrote:
Pobbles wrote:

Blackpool is a windy town near the sea. There could be plenty of jobs made in the Green power industry, if money was invested correctly.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Wind turbines look pretty elegant, and I'm sure they would make short work of the gulls.

Give it another two hundred years or so, this entire area will probably be a wind farm... of the off-shore variety. :wink:

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 4:06 am

Pobbles wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Pobbles wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with you. Wind turbines look pretty elegant, and I'm sure they would make short work of the gulls.

Give it another two hundred years or so, this entire area will probably be a wind farm... of the off-shore variety. :wink:

Not just wind turbines, the use of tidal power could further reduce the dependency on other sources.

My deviant art profile

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:51 pm

Some good info.
http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/water/ ... on-center/

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Pobbles wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Pobbles wrote:

Not just wind turbines, the use of tidal power could further reduce the dependency on other sources.

We have soooo many wind turbines here, too. OK-Texas panhandle is full of them.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 1:39 pm

thomas81 wrote:
I've only started to educate myself on this recently but it sounds like nasty stuff. Apparently fracking is the practice of drilling into underground deposits in order to free natural gas. The issue is that it has been contaminating water supplies and people have ended up with brown sludge and other nastiness coming out of their taps.

What do the usual suspects here think?

Probably it is necessary. Because we are still reliant on oil, and this is the only way to get the last few drops out of the ground. However fracking is only postponing the inevitable, and we will be cleaning up the environmental damage for a long time to come. But hey tax payers can take care of that, after the oil companies are all bankrupt.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Mar 2014, 2:10 pm

I think the risks have been overstated, but I don't think there's any need for it- it is just delaying the necessary investment in nuclear and renewable energy. We shouldn't be desperately seeking out new fossil fuels for energy.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 3:29 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

So northern Ark is experiencing this too? So is Central OK.

So are parts of Ohio, especially around Youngtown where they never had any seismic activity before.