Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 10:22 am

I can't use scissors with my non dominant hand, I mean I can pick them up and do what I do with my right hand, but they won't cut. Cannot for the life of me make them work with left hand. IS this just a random problem or is it related to Autism? Anyone else have it?

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 11:01 am

I've conducted research, it seems that maybe nobody (Or most people) can't. Shoot, pointless thread!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 12:36 pm

I can pick up scissors with my non-dominant hand and make them cut things like I can do with my dominant hand.

You need to apply force differently than you would do with your dominant hand. Focus farther along the finger, closer to the tip, and make small sharp movements, and it will cut fine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 12:56 pm

I didn't think it was possible to be able to use scissors with the wrong hand because at school we had a box of ''left-handed scissors'' and a box of ''right-handed scissors''.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 1:04 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I can pick up scissors with my non-dominant hand and make them cut things like I can do with my dominant hand.

You need to apply force differently than you would do with your dominant hand. Focus farther along the finger, closer to the tip, and make small sharp movements, and it will cut fine.

IT worked. You are a genius. I asked other people here to try and they couldn't do it either.

TyrannosaurusAsh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2014, 1:23 pm

I am right handed, I can do everything (except draw/write well) with my left hand.
BUT, BOTH of my parents (and various other family) are left handed..

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 1:41 pm

:lol: I have no idea if I can do it, I've never tried to do it and yes, it's normal not to be able to do things properly with your non-dominant hand.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 1:48 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
:lol: I have no idea if I can do it, I've never tried to do it and yes, it's normal not to be able to do things properly with your non-dominant hand.

Yeah but using scissors isn't exactly calligraphy, I was surprised so many of us couldn't even make a simple straight cut (at least until btbnnyr explained it).

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 1:53 pm

^
Actually I have trouble cutting strait with my dominant hand . :lol: I have problems with motor skills but also a specific learning disorder that impairs my understanding of spatial relations (reading maps, directions, interpreting graphs ect). I can cut something with scissors without hurting myself or anything only if it has to be done exactly right , in a neat , strait , tidy line then I'm useless.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 2:41 pm

With my dyspraxia I'm pretty lousy with scissors with either hand.

Elensar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2014, 4:04 pm

I'm one of the rare people that can use scissors with either hand.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 7:59 pm

Elensar wrote:

I can do that and it's rare??? 8O

Elensar

19 Mar 2014, 8:52 pm

What I mean by rare is not common. I have not met very many people that can do it.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2014, 9:33 pm

Elensar wrote:

I can too

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 12:20 am

I am pretty good with my dominate hand now a days as long as my wrist or upper arm is not asked to do anything, My first thought was as Joe90 said though as I thought scissors are usually not made ambidextrous. Although I somewhat doubt most lefties actually own left handed scissors for general use. Also many shear type devices have a good side and a waste side so you can't just flip them over.

Astera

20 Mar 2014, 4:35 am

I can use scissors with either hand. Was born a leftie, then my parents tried to re-train me (which was common in my country at that time). As a result, I use different hands for different actions. For example, writing and eating with my right hand, but drawing with my left one. And there are some things I can do with either hand. Kind of a weird ambidexter. :lol: