40k fans -lots of parallels between Tech Priests and aspies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 7:53 pm

I wasn't sure weather to post this here or in media representation, but w/e. I guess I won't be surprised if this one gets moved.

I used to be really into Warhammer 40k and have played a bit of the RPG based off it called Dark Heresy, where one of the classes available is a Tech Priest, and I played one in the longest campaign I was a part of. I don't know much about the lore, so most of what I know off them is from DH. I was reading the DH core book for nostalgia purposes the other day and it occured to me that the Tech Priest class has a lot of parallels to aspies, especially having roleplayed as a teach priest and being an aspie myself. Starting with the following:

Poor social skills, with difficulties in learning them further
Very high intelligence, with a strong aptitude for technology and machines
Subtly is lost on them
High amounts of focus on a single topic (anyone who knows much about Tech Priests know how focused on the Omnisiah they can be)
General poor motor skills
Turse (doesn't talk much)
Often doesn't fit in with NTs/non- Tech Priests
Desire to be independent

Anyone else seeing these or more? Is this interesting to anyone, or is this already known to a few people here?

HelixShade
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2014, 4:22 pm

As someone who regards himself as a keeper of the lore of all things 40K, the answer is a resounding "nope". Infact I would go as far as saying that this is so far removed from the Cult Mechanus as to be completely unrecognizable.

- Techpriests have a high level of Knowledge purely because they've had a monopoly since the founding of the Imperium (and arguably older than that), and they don't want to lose that - case and point, the Cult Mechanus are not big on the Blood Angels for "stealing" the Baal Pattern Predator, and have made attempts to try and recover it.

- On that point, the Techpriests are not above stealing and hoarding everyone else's stuff (see: Mechanus aligned Knight Households, aforementioned Blood Angels rivalry). They do this to keep their monopoly on Imperial Technology.

- The personality traits are usually the result of the dozens or hundreds of cybernetic augmentations a Techpriest receives in his lifetime. 40K is a setting where Cybernetics literally do eat your soul.

A lot of your other points are also myth, and vary from Priest to Priest. It's rare to find two Priests who are augmented the same way.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 6:12 pm

HelixShade wrote:
As someone who regards himself as a keeper of the lore of all things 40K, the answer is a resounding "nope". Infact I would go as far as saying that this is so far removed from the Cult Mechanus as to be completely unrecognizable.

- Techpriests have a high level of Knowledge purely because they've had a monopoly since the founding of the Imperium (and arguably older than that), and they don't want to lose that - case and point, the Cult Mechanus are not big on the Blood Angels for "stealing" the Baal Pattern Predator, and have made attempts to try and recover it.

- On that point, the Techpriests are not above stealing and hoarding everyone else's stuff (see: Mechanus aligned Knight Households, aforementioned Blood Angels rivalry). They do this to keep their monopoly on Imperial Technology.

- The personality traits are usually the result of the dozens or hundreds of cybernetic augmentations a Techpriest receives in his lifetime. 40K is a setting where Cybernetics literally do eat your soul.

A lot of your other points are also myth, and vary from Priest to Priest. It's rare to find two Priests who are augmented the same way.

Thanks. Most of my knowledge of them is from Dark Heresy, so I guess now its cleared up.

HelixShade
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Mar 2014, 3:55 am

FireyInspiration wrote:
HelixShade wrote:

Thanks. Most of my knowledge of them is from Dark Heresy, so I guess now its cleared up.

If you want an alternate source, I strongly suggest either the Warhammer 40K Wiki, Lexicanum or 1D4Chan.