Today I'm going to ask mom whether she thinks I'm autistic.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Olive_Oil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2014, 9:49 am

About two months ago I was doing some personal research on Jeffrey Dahmer. I'm not a Serial Killer groupie, but I was intrigued by how much I could identify myself with him. I read an article suggesting he had Asperger's Syndrome, so, as I'm trying to find out what I have since I was 8 years old, when I was introduced to the internet, I thought "maybe I have this too".

The first link in my research about Asperger's was the wikipedia, upon reading the article I concluded: that has nothing to do with me. But I was going to soon find out that the article was awfully generic. When I started reading more into detail of what mild autism is, I started having a better picture of it in my head. When I did the aspie quiz for the first time, I found that I have several traits, many of which can't be justified by any mood, anxiety or personality disorders. The aspiegirs traits are very familiar to me as well, and I read autistics have bigger heads, mine's perimeter is ~ 58.35 cm (~ 22.97 inches) – very upsetting as a child because I wanted to wear a cool fedora, but the cheap, generic ones weren't made my size.

A few years ago my mother tried to convince me to see a psychiatrist, I refused because I don't feel comfortable going to a doctor not knowing what to expect, by the end of the conversation she told me "but you know you're not normal, right?". A while after that she started going to a psychiatrist herself to talk about me, which she stopped doing suddenly and inexplicably. Three weeks ago she made a joke (that I didn't really understand) about a guy who, in a certain situation, didn't look another guy in the eye, I replied "maybe he's a little autistic" and her smile faded immediately.

All of that made me think, maybe my mother also suspects I have mild autism. Even if she doesn't, I believe it's important to discuss it with her, particularly because I want to go for an evaluation and it's likely she'll be requested to talk with the clinician. Besides, I can see many traits in her too, perhaps she would benefit in being evaluated as well. As we go to the same college, every Thursdays we meet to drink a coffee, today I'll use this opportunity to ask her opinion about my neurology. That's the reason why I'm posting this here, it's because if do, I'll have no choice but to keep my word and do it.

By the way, that's my first post here, I think I'm supposed to say hi.

Hi.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 12:57 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. Unfortunately your username is likely to be confused with another, long established member OliveOilMom. As you have only made one post, you might want to sign up again with a different username to avoid any confusion?

AlphaNtu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2014, 1:51 pm

Interesting. I'd be interested in hearing how she responds, if you feel comfortable sharing. Either way, I hope it goes well.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:52 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet, hope you like it here, and that things go well with your mother.

That's funny, I always wanted to wear a trilby, but most didn't fit. I eventually found one that was too big... :)