Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2014, 6:08 pm

I am so annoyed that my husband is not careful what he says around our daughter and this can cause so much drama.

He said 'make sure you use filtered water for the kettle, which I do, because there was a rat on the roof and living rural we collect our own water for drinking cooking washing, laundry, showers everything into rain water tanks which collect via the roof.

For 8 years we did not have a filter for drinking our water and we are still here and healthy.

But our daughter figured we dont filter or boil our water for any of the other uses, dishes, rinsing, laundry or showering. We have got by 15 years this way and now this fact we dont filter our water for those others uses has occurred to her.

I simply cannot filter our water for those other uses other than drinking. the carbon porcelain filter cost $130 and that gets thrown every 2 months and thats just filtering drinking water. If I filtered our water for all uses I would be scraping the filter every day and buying a new one mostly every 2 weeks.

I dont even filter water for boiling potatoes, the water gets boiled anyway.

She won't even drink now.

I am ready for the suspected controversy with this post.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 6:24 pm

Go through the science with your daughter. She should respond well to cold, hard facts.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:57 pm

How old is she? At 16, she can get a job and buy the extra filters.

By the way, is this fancy filter necessary? Isn't there some DYI way? I can google it, but I have no idea whether any of them are realistic. http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2013/0 ... -a-barrel/

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2014, 9:17 pm

Tahitiii wrote:

By the way, is this fancy filter necessary? Isn't there some DYI way? I can google it, but I have no idea whether any of them are realistic. http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2013/0 ... -a-barrel/

My daughter has social anxiety and fears of safety and germs. I know she may have a job one day, but not at the moment. I will take a look at that filtering method, thanks.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 10:54 pm

I don't know the specifics, but there's a way to make a filter using a plastic barrel and sand and gravel and coal (or something like that).
Alternatively, you could buy bottled water for your daughter to drink. She seems to be worried that she will accidently ingest unfiltered water.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 11:11 pm

leiselmum wrote:
Tahitiii wrote:

My daughter has social anxiety and fears of safety and germs. I know she may have a job one day, but not at the moment. I will take a look at that filtering method, thanks.

My son has anxiety about war and a fear of jet aircraft. I know this will sound crazy, but my solution was to take him to the military air show at Joint Base Dix-MacGuire-Lakehurst so he could see the difference between civilian and military aircraft and realize that the airspace over his town is protected by the largest air power in the world. It worked. He was awestruck by the B-1 in full afterburner and amazed by the Thunderbirds.

We looked at Google maps and I showed him the airbases on every continent where USAF, Navy and Marine air units are deployed and explained to him the transponder codes used to indicate hijacking and other situations. We looked at FlightAware's display of aircraft in the very crowded NYC area and all that class B airspace.

His anxiety was greatly reduced--it comes back sometimes and when it does, we talk it through. Logic seems to help, He is coming to terms with the idea that the anxiety isn't really about planes or war--but those are ways he can explain the intensity of the anxiety.

These experiences make me think DW_a_mom is right. Explain the facts--that will probably help.

Good luck!

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2014, 6:46 am

Adamantium wrote:
leiselmum wrote:
Tahitiii wrote:

My son has anxiety about war and a fear of jet aircraft. I know this will sound crazy, but my solution was to take him to the military air show at Joint Base Dix-MacGuire-Lakehurst so he could see the difference between civilian and military aircraft and realize that the airspace over his town is protected by the largest air power in the world. It worked. He was awestruck by the B-1 in full afterburner and amazed by the Thunderbirds.

We looked at Google maps and I showed him the airbases on every continent where USAF, Navy and Marine air units are deployed and explained to him the transponder codes used to indicate hijacking and other situations. We looked at FlightAware's display of aircraft in the very crowded NYC area and all that class B airspace.

His anxiety was greatly reduced--it comes back sometimes and when it does, we talk it through. Logic seems to help, He is coming to terms with the idea that the anxiety isn't really about planes or war--but those are ways he can explain the intensity of the anxiety.

These experiences make me think DW_a_mom is right. Explain the facts--that will probably help.

Good luck!

Thanks.this is helpful and comforting and a great story. Happy for you and your son.

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2014, 6:47 am

Adamantium wrote:
leiselmum wrote:
Tahitiii wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing.this is helpful and comforting and a great story. Happy for you and your son.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 11:21 am

You can make your own four stage water filters fairly cheaply. I don't have a link, but you need four layers in this order from top to bottom- gravel, sand, activated carbon, and hepa filter. You could probably sub the hepa for a coffee filter if you don't plan to drink it. The first three items (gravel, sand, and carbon) can all be purchased at... a shop that sells aquarium or fish supplies. I wouldn't neccessarily drink this with out boiling as it ONLY removes particulates, pesticides, a wide variety of other chemicals and toxins, and things that would cause an off flavor. It does not remove lead, other heavy metals, or anything biological like bacteria or fungi unless they are large enough to be trapped in the filter, which you cannot count on.

So might be good enough to make her feel better about some aspects of what you are doing.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm

(And all I am thinking about is, how can I work "Rat on the Roof" in a conversation. Lol that sounds funny. Must be a damn Aspie not adding anything that solves your problem.)

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 1:36 pm

If you do find a way to rig up some make-it-yourself system, how much of the work can your daughter do? I'm sure there would be a lot to do: research, shopping, heavy lifting, initial setup, on-going maintenance. And make sure there's a way to revert if the maintenance is inconsistent. If it's really a genuine concern, and not a passing teenage whim, she might be happy to help. Maybe she could use it as a science project or other educational experience.

Stormymomma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Apr 2014, 10:44 pm

I actually can relate to your daughter. Years ago, there was something wrong with our town's water (can't remember what it was) but we weren't suppose to drink it. Since then, I haven't drank the town's water on purpose. I think having a water filter would probably help. I only drink bottled water. When I move to a different town, I will drink their water. I guess it's kind of a strange fear I have that it will be contaminated and make me sick. I'm not the only one in town that won't drink it. Others have said it tastes gross.

I'm kind of a freak about something weird happening to my body or just uncleanliness in food/drink. I get really disgusted if there is food particles left on silverware or plates. I know it's probably not the norm, but I have no idea how it all started. Probably had a bad experience with my food/drink tasting bad because there was something stuck on the plate or in the cup.

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2014, 3:04 pm

I agree with Tahitii - engage her in finding a solution. If she does the research and you work together to create a filter it will not only teach her a lot of excellent lessons in science it will help her feel in control (often a root of anxiety).

Another alternative is to have her spend the time boiling the water to wash her own dishes.