Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 6:01 pm

I watched a scientific program on TV about having a high IQ.
It was stated:
A high IQ is only possible having an excellent working memory.
All subtests (verbal, numerical, and visual-spacial) are interconnected in IQ-tests and if one scores good at one subtest one should automatically score good at the other substests.
But many autistic persons have executive dysfunction, and as far as I know executive dysfunction is also due to an impairment of working memory, I read it in many sources.
But there are as I read on this forum and also in other sources many autistic persons who have executive dysfunction, but a measured high IQ and scattered abilities in the subtests but a measured high IQ (this program was about genius range)
I also read about that schizophrenic persons often have measured high IQ's but on the other hand impaired executive function and impaired working memory.
I don't understand it, can anyone explain this?

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 6:23 pm

Eloa wrote:
executive dysfunction is also due to an impairment of working memory, I read it in many sources.

I don't know your sources, but I question that as a fact.

I have horrible Executive Function where making and carrying out complex plans is concerned, but my memory is just fine and always has been. I wouldn't go so far as to say I had an eidetic memory, but it's pretty accurate, especially with visual images and language. A lot of autistics seem to have a gift for vocal mimicry as well, which requires a very specific and highly accurate and specialized memory sense.

I'm reaching the age where certain details are starting to fade, but I have a huge record collection and there was a time not too many years ago, when I could tell you exactly when and where I acquired every single one of them and what the weather was like that day.

OTOH, sometimes it can take me several encounters to remember a new person's name and if I haven't seen you in a couple of years, chances are I won't remember who you are (or at least where I know you from).

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 6:49 pm

Willard wrote:
Eloa wrote:
executive dysfunction is also due to an impairment of working memory, I read it in many sources.

I have horrible Executive Function where making and carrying out complex plans is concerned, but my memory is just fine and always has been. I wouldn't go so far as to say I had an eidetic memory, but it's pretty accurate, especially with visual images and language. A lot of autistics seem to have a gift for vocal mimicry as well, which requires a very specific and highly accurate and specialized memory sense.

I'm reaching the age where certain details are starting to fade, but I have a huge record collection and there was a time not too many years ago, when I could tell you exactly when and where I acquired every single one of them and what the weather was like that day.

OTOH, sometimes it can take me several encounters to remember a new person's name and if I haven't seen you in a couple of years, chances are I won't remember who you are (or at least where I know you from).

Quote:
As noted earlier, the foundations of learning are: (1) attention, (2) memory, and (3) executive functions. Where memory, executive function, and attention overlap, you have “working memory.” Working memory enables you to hold new information in mind while you manipulate it or apply previously learned knowledge or skills. For example, suppose I ask you to multiply 25 x 23 in your head. You would have to hold the two numbers in mind while you apply the rules for two-digit multiplication and keep track of your calculations.

Working memory has been compared to a computer’s desktop. If you have a lot of space on your desktop, you can keep many files open simultaneously, which enables to you to work at a faster and more efficient pace. If you have a small desktop, you can only look at one file at a time, and it will take you longer to accomplish the task.

Many of the disorders described on this web site are associated with deficits in working memory. In some cases, the child or adult may not take in new information due to attentional deficits or may become distracted during learning or performance (e.g., an obsessive thought or mental ritual may intrude or a leaf might fall off a tree two miles away and distract them). In other cases, the individual’s workspace or “filing system” is a disorganized mess. The individual may not be able to retrieve the needed information to apply to the new information in a timely fashion, or they may skip a step or lose track of where they are up to due to difficulties in retaining sequence.

Working memory is crucial to academic learning and functioning, but it is also crucial to social skills. If a child or adult cannot retain newly presented information in mind while they retrieve and consider options, they may make poor social decisions or be unable to respond flexibly or appropriately to unexpected events.

To clarify what working memory contains,I think it is not just a good or excellent memory, but more sort of interaction between abilities.
I also have a strong especially visual memory, it is like a film, but very bad executive dysfunction.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 6:54 pm

Eloa wrote:
It was stated:
All subtests (verbal, numerical, and visual-spacial) are interconnected in IQ-tests and if one scores good at one subtest one should automatically score good at the other substests.
But many autistic persons have executive dysfunction, and as far as I know executive dysfunction is also due to an impairment of working memory, I read it in many sources.
But there are as I read on this forum and also in other sources many autistic persons who have executive dysfunction, but a measured high IQ and scattered abilities in the subtests but a measured high IQ (this program was about genius range)
I also read about that schizophrenic persons often have measured high IQ's but on the other hand impaired executive function and impaired working memory.
These things may be true for typically developing people. It's a difficult to comment on this because I don't know how they are defining "high IQ". The statement about high IQ only been possible with an excellent working memory is true because if you don't have an excellent working memory your FS IQ score, which is based on a combination of multiple indices, would be reduced by not having that excellent WMI score. Furthermore, typically developing people are expected to have a relatively even subtest scores say within one standard deviation of each other. With that being true, you would expect that a person's VCI,PRI,PSI to be approximately that of the WMI, therefore giving a high FS IQ. Conversely, if the WMI is low for a typically developing person you would expect the other scores to be within that narrow band giving a lower FS IQ.

All subtests should be interconnected and relatively equal for typically developing people. This is how the IQ tests are calibrated. Human intelligence is not built around IQ tests, rather IQ tests are built around human intelligence. If that makes any sense. Therefore a non-typically developing human will tend to have atypical IQ test scores. But of course this is not true for all people with ASD or schizophrenia. It is a tendency, but certainly not everyone has the that scatter. Statistically, it is not possible to have a genius level IQ with more than one standard deviation of scatter on an index level. It is possible to have a genius level IQ with some subtest scatter, one example being one or two subtests in the 10 range with all of the other subtests being 17 to 19. That is certainly considered significant scatter, but it is still possible to have an FS IQ in the genius range with that type of scatter.

I don't know if I've really answered any of your questions. I will leave you with a personal example. On my WMI index I hit the ceiling on arithmetic and digit span. On letter number sequencing my score was listed as invalid because I could not understand the instructions and my answers were given in an incorrect format. My prorated WMI was the maximum possible. But did the letter number sequencing issue show a sign of executive dysfunction? I don't know. My FS IQ was average despite the high WMI. Overall my FSIQ was invalid.

One last thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes people will call both FS IQ and GAI , the generic term "IQ". It is important to know which one is being discussed.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 7:11 pm

Eloa wrote:

Quote:
As noted earlier, the foundations of learning are: (1) attention, (2) memory, and (3) executive functions. Where memory, executive function, and attention overlap, you have “working memory.” Working memory enables you to hold new information in mind while you manipulate it or apply previously learned knowledge or skills. For example, suppose I ask you to multiply 25 x 23 in your head. You would have to hold the two numbers in mind while you apply the rules for two-digit multiplication and keep track of your calculations.

I just want to say that this example from the quote is also an example of why measures of intelligence can be poor measures of intelligence of atypical people. If a person does not hold two numbers in mind, does not consciously apply taught rules, does not keep track of calculations, yet can give you the correct answer. How do you measure that person's working memory, let alone understand it? The measure of memory in such a case would not correspond to the expected executive function and attention abilities and that person.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 7:20 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Eloa wrote:
It was stated:
These things may be true for typically developing people. It's a difficult to comment on this because I don't know how they are defining "high IQ". The statement about high IQ only been possible with an excellent working memory is true because if you don't have an excellent working memory your FS IQ score, which is based on a combination of multiple indices, would be reduced by not having that excellent WMI score. Furthermore, typically developing people are expected to have a relatively even subtest scores say within one standard deviation of each other. With that being true, you would expect that a person's VCI,PRI,PSI to be approximately that of the WMI, therefore giving a high FS IQ. Conversely, if the WMI is low for a typically developing person you would expect the other scores to be within that narrow band giving a lower FS IQ.

All subtests should be interconnected and relatively equal for typically developing people. This is how the IQ tests are calibrated. Human intelligence is not built around IQ tests, rather IQ tests are built around human intelligence. If that makes any sense. Therefore a non-typically developing human will tend to have atypical IQ test scores. But of course this is not true for all people with ASD or schizophrenia. It is a tendency, but certainly not everyone has the that scatter. Statistically, it is not possible to have a genius level IQ with more than one standard deviation of scatter on an index level. It is possible to have a genius level IQ with some subtest scatter, one example being one or two subtests in the 10 range with all of the other subtests being 17 to 19. That is certainly considered significant scatter, but it is still possible to have an FS IQ in the genius range with that type of scatter.

I don't know if I've really answered any of your questions. I will leave you with a personal example. On my WMI index I hit the ceiling on arithmetic and digit span. On letter number sequencing my score was listed as invalid because I could not understand the instructions and my answers were given in an incorrect format. My prorated WMI was the maximum possible. But did the letter number sequencing issue show a sign of executive dysfunction? I don't know. My FS IQ was average despite the high WMI. Overall my FSIQ was invalid.

One last thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes people will call both FS IQ and GAI , the generic term "IQ". It is important to know which one is being discussed.

This is a good answer though I do not understand everything, I do not understand FS IQ and PSI and GAI, I do understand VCI and PRI, and I did a mistake in my original post: It was not about the subtests, but about the index level (if that means the 3 categories of verbal, numerical, and visual-spacial), but still I do understand your writing.
The definition of high IQ was 130+ but tending more to genius range 145+.
My IQ is also scattered and finally invalid, but I did not understand it in the beginning as I did not know anything about it, and first I thought my measurement was 127 (it was just one of the subtests which got pointed out and got stucked in my brain), but it was not the case, in fact my test was not even finished (I did the WAIS for diagnosis of autism and got the diagnosis before the test was finished), but I could not follow the talking.
Your knowledge about
IQ and testing is great.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 7:37 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Eloa wrote:

I just want to say that this example from the quote is also an example of why measures of intelligence can be poor measures of intelligence of atypical people. If a person does not hold two numbers in mind, does not consciously apply taught rules, does not keep track of calculations, yet can give you the correct answer.

Can you do it?
I cannot, I have dyscalculia and sometimes I think it is because of too strong visual thinking. There were this tests in the WAIS, someone with a bicycle departs from a certain place and another person from another place and stuff about distance and speed and in my visual thinking I saw the bicycles and turning wheels and the road and grass and the side of the road and stuff and I could not keep any information in my mind, and then there followed another test with tiles on the floor and I tried to count the tiles in my mind but it did not work out as I could not keep the measurements in my mind and with the third question I had a meltdown and they stopped it.

Thank you for writing.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm

I just think everyone is different, and although one might have a poor working memory in workaday situations, one might be fine with test problems because they are puzzles. At least that's the way I am. I'll forget where I hung my coat jacket, but I'll be thinking about a problem in my mind and able to keep all the variables in place to get it solved.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 8:16 pm

Eloa wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Eloa wrote:

I just want to say that this example from the quote is also an example of why measures of intelligence can be poor measures of intelligence of atypical people. If a person does not hold two numbers in mind, does not consciously apply taught rules, does not keep track of calculations, yet can give you the correct answer.

Can you do it?
I cannot, I have dyscalculia and sometimes I think it is because of too strong visual thinking. There were this tests in the WAIS, someone with a bicycle departs from a certain place and another person from another place and stuff about distance and speed and in my visual thinking I saw the bicycles and turning wheels and the road and grass and the side of the road and stuff and I could not keep any information in my mind, and then there followed another test with tiles on the floor and I tried to count the tiles in my mind but it did not work out as I could not keep the measurements in my mind and with the third question I had a meltdown and they stopped it.

Thank you for writing.

I took the same test as you for my diagnosis. I also remember the question that you mention here, and I saw it in a similar way. I visualized it also to "look at" where they meet for the answer. But I don't think I visualize as strongly as you do and that maybe the reason I am able to do this while you might have too much information to filter out. I don't know. I know there is a formula for this, but I am almost incapable of using formulas as I find them so confusing. I come to the same results as someone would with a formula, but it works completely different in my head. But the reality is in the modern world, with calculators and computers, is an almost worthless skill.I also made them stop in the middle of one of the subtests, so I can go outside and pace, because I couldn't stand it. That episode was also noted in my evaluation report.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 8:27 pm

Eloa wrote:

This is a good answer though I do not understand everything, I do not understand FS IQ and PSI and GAI, I do understand VCI and PRI, and I did a mistake in my original post: It was not about the subtests, but about the index level (if that means the 3 categories of verbal, numerical, and visual-spacial), but still I do understand your writing.
The definition of high IQ was 130+ but tending more to genius range 145+.
My IQ is also scattered and finally invalid, but I did not understand it in the beginning as I did not know anything about it, and first I thought my measurement was 127 (it was just one of the subtests which got pointed out and got stucked in my brain), but it was not the case, in fact my test was not even finished (I did the WAIS for diagnosis of autism and got the diagnosis before the test was finished), but I could not follow the talking.
Your knowledge about
IQ and testing is great.

Thank you for the compliment. I apologize for being unclear. I forget that I should not assume that everyone is familiar with the same terms that I use. The confusion is my fault. FS IQ stands for full scale IQ and is comprised of the following:

Verbal Comprehension Index (VCI)
Perceptual Reasoning Index (PRI)
Working Memory Index (WMI)
Processing Speed Index (PSI)

GAI stands for general ability Index. Rather than explain what it is let me give you this link that will give you a brief overview of what it is and how it's used. I just want to add that GAI I would be given as a score similar to a full-scale IQ score, example 127.

http://www.mcandrewslaw.com/publications-and-presentations/articles/when-to-use-the-general-ability-index-in-assessing-eligibility-of-special-education-students/

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 8:55 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Eloa wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Eloa wrote:

Can you do it?

Thank you for writing.

I took the same test as you for my diagnosis. I also remember the question that you mention here, and I saw it in a similar way. I visualized it also to "look at" where they meet for the answer. But I don't think I visualize as strongly as you do and that maybe the reason I am able to do this while you might have too much information to filter out. I don't know. I know there is a formula for this, but I am almost incapable of using formulas as I find them so confusing. I come to the same results as someone would with a formula, but it works completely different in my head. But the reality is in the modern world, with calculators and computers, is an almost worthless skill.I also made them stop in the middle of one of the subtests, so I can go outside and pace, because I couldn't stand it. That episode was also noted in my evaluation report.

Thank you, it is good to feel you share the experience of this test.
In my country it is very late now and I need sleep.
You do not need to apologize for using the specific terms and thank you for clarifying them, but in a special interest I also use the specific terms and in my mind people have the knowledge I do,but this is autism I guess,
really no need to apologize,
am very happy to learn from you, because I am very much interested in it, but my knowledge is not as profound and maybe not even profound enough to discuss about it in depth,
but I have an interest in it,
and like to learn about it.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 9:03 pm

Eloa wrote:
Thank you, it is good to feel you share the experience of this test.
In my country it is very late now and I need sleep.
You do not need to apologize for using the specific terms and thank you for clarifying them, but in a special interest I also use the specific terms and in my mind people have the knowledge I do,but this is autism I guess,
really no need to apologize,
am very happy to learn from you, because I am very much interested in it, but my knowledge is not as profound and maybe not even profound enough to discuss about it in depth,
but I have an interest in it,
and like to learn about it.

Knowledge comes one small step at a time. Interest is the seed that grows into knowledge. Soon you will be an expert. Good night Eloa :)

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 9:50 pm

Willard wrote:
Eloa wrote:

Don't confound long term memory with working memory which is more like a short term memory. On a computer analogy working memory would be RAM and long term memory the hard drive. You can have a good hard drive while having a bad RAM.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Apr 2014, 9:59 pm

I have horrifically bad verbal working memory, but if I work strictly with images, I have an amazingly awesome working memory.

Also, I can do mental arithmetic fairly easily.

Not sure precisely what that means.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm

During my diagnosis, the psychologist administered the Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS-IV). My scores for Immediate Memory, Delayed Memory, Visual Memory and Auditory Memory were all below 25%.

Interestingly, my working memory with numbers (as measured by WAIS-IV Arithmetic sub-test) was quite good. It was my top sub-test score.

The Psychologist indicated that the testing exposed issues with complex memory processing and that I had low Executive Function for unstructured situations

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 10:57 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
During my diagnosis, the psychologist administered the Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS-IV). My scores for Immediate Memory, Delayed Memory, Visual Memory and Auditory Memory were all below 25%.

Interestingly, my working memory with numbers (as measured by -IV Arithmetic sub-test) was quite good. It was my top sub-test score.

The Psychologist indicated that the testing exposed issues with complex memory processing and that I had low Executive Function for unstructured situations

I also took the WMS and all of the subtests on it with the exception of the two associative memory subtests were below 10%. My associative memory subtests were above the 90th percentile. To give some perspective that is borderline intellectual disability level on one hand and gifted on the other end. As I mentioned previously, my best scores on the WAIS were also oddly on the working memory Index, including arithmetic and digit span.

I don't know if Verdndi has taken the WMS, but I suspect based on her comments above that she would also be very low on the WMS scores. Verdandi can you comment on this If you have taken the WMS?

Last edited by Rascal77s on 12 Apr 2014, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.