Sensory Processing Disorder+ Executive Function Disorder = ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 3:55 pm

I realize that:
- A lot of people with ASD have significant Sensory Processing issues (at least I do)
- A lot of people with ASD have significant Executive Functioning issues (at least I do)

Yet, it’s also my understanding that people with other diagnoses (including, but not limited to, OCD, ADHD, Social Anxiety, etc.) also suffer from issues with Sensory Processing and Executive Functioning.

A cousin of mine (who is a Doctor and works in an autism research center) suggested that OCD and ASD seem to share a spectrum.

My question – is this really all the same stuff (a bunch of researchers looking at distinct data points, but not seeing the big picture)? That really all of these are caused by some mal-formed brain which has issues with Sensory Processing + Executive Functioning leading to a certain set of observable behavioral symptoms.

I understand what I am writing here is overly simplistic. So, I am looking to the community to enlighten me. Thanks.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 4:18 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
A cousin of mine (who is a Doctor and works in an autism research center) suggested that OCD and ASD seem to share a spectrum.

I would concede that they share some qualities, but I was married to an OCD spouse for most of a decade and we were as different in our neuro-quirks as we were similar. I don't think the two conditions are part of the same spectrum, though neurologically speaking, both may involve some of the same miswiring.

It seemed to me that our rigid and repetitive behaviors differed significantly in motivation. Hers seemed to involve a lack of impulse control and an almost superstitious "magical thinking", that made her feel she had to do something a specific way, else the world would come to an end - a toxic combination of adrenaline and neurosis. It's the thinking that keeps gamblers risking their dwindling resources, irrationally believing that if they just keep betting, or find a slot machine that's "hot," the NEXT pull will win the lost rent money back.

I, on the other hand, become rigid about doing things a certain way, because the more reliable my routines, the less unexpected sensory input I have to juggle. It helps keep the overload to a minimal level, so I can function without shutdowns and emotional meltdowns. It might seem obsessive, but there's a method to my madness. As far as compulsions go, they are mainly confined to my obsessive interests, in that I often compulsively buy things I can't really afford, to add them to my collections. :oops:

Of course both resulted in personalities insistent that their way was the only right way and anyone who disagreed was being irrational. :roll:

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 4:26 pm

I find all of this confusing. I don't think we'll know until objective brain tests are developed.
Sensory processing disorder can be a stand alone diagnosis too.
I wonder if any kind of brain imaging tests have compared people with autism to people with ADHD and OCD.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 5:01 pm

I agree about the need for objective brain tests.

There are definitely clear differences between the three disorders. However, there might be some connection or association beyond what is known. About 25% of people with autism have OCD according to one of Atwood's books and it's only about 1% in the genera population! We have a very high rate of ADHD compared to the general population too. It could reflect some underlying mechanism common to both or just overlapping symptoms.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 9:39 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
I realize that:
- A lot of people with ASD have significant Sensory Processing issues (at least I do)
- A lot of people with ASD have significant Executive Functioning issues (at least I do)

After thinking about this topic a bit more, I also wonder if people can have ASD, OCD, Anxiety, ADHD, etc. without having one of the above.

Again, am looking to the community to enlighten me. Thanks.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 3:08 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
My question – is this really all the same stuff (a bunch of researchers looking at distinct data points, but not seeing the big picture)? That really all of these are caused by some mal-formed brain which has issues with Sensory Processing + Executive Functioning leading to a certain set of observable behavioral symptoms.

I don't really understand the question, but this may apply anyways:

I think that there could very well be similar (or even identical) processes/brain structural features/neurochemistry behind specific symptoms seen in more than one disorder. So inattention in ADHD and in autism could both be basically the same thing in a very concrete grey and white matter, neural organization, neuronal functioning, biochemistry and/or genetic sense. That doesn't mean the whole brain (or all genes that belong to each condition) is the same though, even if certain parts are -- the actual concrete, physiological brain qualities/genetics might be the same here, different there.

Love transcends all.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 3:28 pm

One recent study suggests these disorders may share a common cause in something called the "calcium channel".

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/healt ... .html?_r=0

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 9:41 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
One recent study suggests these disorders may share a common cause in something called the "calcium channel".

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/healt ... .html?_r=0

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2014, 12:51 pm

It would be rare for ASD and ADHD. Which are caused by genes interacting with the environment. Anxiety can also be caused by extreme stress (prenatal or post), so not have sensory challenges.

You might find this figure interesting:Image

Rocket123 wrote:
Rocket123 wrote:
I realize that:

After thinking about this topic a bit more, I also wonder if people can have ASD, OCD, Anxiety, ADHD, etc. without having one of the above.

Again, am looking to the community to enlighten me. Thanks.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 5:32 pm

KariLynn wrote:
You might find this figure interesting

I do (find it interesting). Where did you get it from? I am interested in reading more.

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 6:16 pm

I was told that one of my sons has Sensory Processing Disorder and Executive Functioning issues. However, neither of those things are considered official diagnoses. I wish they were, because he would get more support. I think they are mostly just grouped under ASD or ADHD. But, this son does not have ASD. My other son (who we suspect has ASD) also has both of these issues, but his executive functioning is better than my other son. He was just evaluated (waiting for results), and they did keep asking me if he had OCD tendencies. He does, a bit. But, only to the extent that he gets anxious and wants me to repeat over and over that something is not going to happen, etc. But, it is not about ritualistic or superstitious, it's more stemming from his anxiety. And, I believe his anxiety issues are due to his sensory issues and his social issues. And his habits, and the fact that he wears only one of two pairs of pants ever and has to wear the same shirt every night at bedtime, I would not call OCD either. It is about what he is comfortable with.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2014, 3:27 pm

It is from http://www.4mylearn.org/Model.html

A picture of the overall model is:

Rocket123 wrote:
KariLynn wrote:
You might find this figure interesting

I do (find it interesting). Where did you get it from? I am interested in reading more.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 10:46 pm

KariLynn wrote:

Thanks for sharing this, much appreciated.