When you have to work with a group...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MarcelloP
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Apr 2014, 8:54 pm

Do you usually tell people that you have Aspergers/HFA or do you do everything in your power to hide it? For me it is somewhat of a relief just to say it and not have to keep it inside, even if they don't usually understand it. In my experience most people just associate HFA with someone who is obsessive about working and doesn't really want to waste time on small talk.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2014, 9:18 pm

I don't work anymore and when I did, I didn't know/suspect I had ASD. I can't imagine telling a work group. How do you do it, just announce it? I can imagine letting coworkers know individually as I become comfortable with them. At the same time, it does seem like it would be a lot less stressful to work with people who knew you were on the spectrum. Sometimes I feel like NTs are distracted trying to figure out someone who seems different.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 9:24 pm

no

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 9:29 pm

Neither, but I do get obsessive about working and avoid small talk. :lol:

My son refuses to work in groups, and that just drives some teachers up the wall. He just tells them he prefers not to (work in groups), and goes on his merry way. :duh:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 9:35 pm

MarcelloP wrote:
Do you usually tell people that you have Aspergers/HFA or do you do everything in your power to hide it? For me it is somewhat of a relief just to say it and not have to keep it inside, even if they don't usually understand it. In my experience most people just associate HFA with someone who is obsessive about working and doesn't really want to waste time on small talk.

I don't use the term "Ass Burgers" ever, under any circumstances. Not only does it sound crude and insulting, the news media in the US has gone out of their way to associate it with psycho killers. On those occasions when I mention it at all, I call it "a form of autism," but it really doesn't matter, because as you say, almost nobody understands what that means and the general assumption is either that your feeble-minded, in which case they become condescending, or that you're unstable and potentially dangerous, in which case they silently judge and avoid you.

I don't have any issue with disclosure, if I think someone will comprehend it on any level, but since that's rarely the case, I don't make a habit of mentioning it. It's more likely to be held against you than it is to help anything. Besides, it's just too complicated to explain.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 9:38 pm

Unless I'm super comfortable with the people and know its relevant, I will avoid saying it.

TaciturnPhantom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2014, 1:03 am

No. I never tell them unless they ask me (I rarely speak and will only nod/shake my head or write down what I want to say unless I'm working with people that I can speak fluently with). If they ask me, I tell them that I'm mildly autistic to avoid the question: "What is Asperger Syndrome?" and a lengthy and detailed explanation.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:30 pm

Since my diagnosis last year I have not met many new NT's (most of my social life is support groups). I did go to an alumni reunion at a bar but did not disclose. Based on peoples experiences here I would not disclose. If asked directly in a non condescending manner I don't think I could lie about it. I worry I would not pick up that I was being asked condescendingly. Unless they had grandkids on the spectrum I think people my age know very little about Autism never mind Aspergers or High Functioning. I guess I would say something like I have the Aspergers form of Autism but until it happens it's just speculation.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:31 pm

**** Double Post ****

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Apr 2014, 7:42 pm

I don't talk about it ever, I can probably count the amount of times I've said Aspergers out loud on one hand. I find talking about my problems to be humiliating, it makes it really hard to ask for help with anything.