Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

RustDogofAus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2014, 7:16 pm

Don't know if this belongs here but it is a relationship... topic...thingy.
As people find out that I am single they ask me why don't I have a girlfriend or boyfriend.
My answer is that I don't want one and I don't care for having an intimate relationship with anyone.
I am just not interested in having a relationship at all. Which leads to the question of why don't I try and the multitude of reasons why I should have a relationship, maybe get married and have children. Yadda yadda yadda ad infinitum. Apparently I need to have a significant other to feel complete, right? WRONG. Although I do enjoy the company of close friends, there is no deep 'need' in me to find that certain someone and maybe do the horizontal bingle with that someone. The desire to go out and pair off/procreate is not there, besides there are enough people in the world as it is. I can still care about other people, I can still find people beautiful both externally and internally - just don't want to be in 'that way' with others.
This is not a cry for help, this is not a matter of shyness and this is not denial.
This is not so much a romance thing as it is a complete disinterest thereof.

Single and loving it.
Thanks for reading.

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2014, 9:19 pm

I don't spend any time thinking about it or longing to get involved with someone again and I'd likely be fairly content if I stayed this way until my death.

Given the choice I wouldn't be single but I'm far from desperate and I have no issue with the single life.

boredNerd
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2014, 11:41 pm

When I was younger I felt the same way so I know where your coming from.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 6:08 am

I wish I could think like that.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 6:27 pm

Yeah, I relate I feel ok with my life. It just annoys me when relatives ask me "have you found anyone yet?" like it's a box I have to tick to be acceptable to them. I used to worry more about it when I was younger, but now I have quiet a comfortable life, so I feel like I don't need anyone.

Sometimes I feel a little bit down and think, "what's wrong with me? Why does no one love me?" because I am often the only single person in a room. But then I go home to my cosy apartment and I can eat what I like for dinner, I can watch what I want on tv, I can sit in bed in the middle of the night typing on my laptop if I can't sleep without annoying anyone else, I can have a hot bath and use up all the hot water and no one complains, I can leave the dishes in the kitchen till morning and no one complains, I have a pretty good life.

I am used to being on my own. It is only occassionaly that I wonder if I am too selfish, or if I am somehow unlovable, or if am defective. Meh, I just get on with my life. No having a partner isn't the end of the world.

I like probelm solving though, so it is something that bugs me a little bit. Why can't I do this when other people can?

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2014, 8:42 am

I've never liked the idea that we're not complete without a significant other, either. What's wrong with who someone already is and what's important to them on a fundamental level?

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 8:58 am

RustDogofAus wrote:
Don't know if this belongs here but it is a relationship... topic...thingy.
As people find out that I am single they ask me why don't I have a girlfriend or boyfriend.
My answer is that I don't want one and I don't care for having an intimate relationship with anyone.
I am just not interested in having a relationship at all. Which leads to the question of why don't I try and the multitude of reasons why I should have a relationship, maybe get married and have children. Yadda yadda yadda ad infinitum. Apparently I need to have a significant other to feel complete, right? WRONG. Although I do enjoy the company of close friends, there is no deep 'need' in me to find that certain someone and maybe do the horizontal bingle with that someone. The desire to go out and pair off/procreate is not there, besides there are enough people in the world as it is. I can still care about other people, I can still find people beautiful both externally and internally - just don't want to be in 'that way' with others.
This is not a cry for help, this is not a matter of shyness and this is not denial.
This is not so much a romance thing as it is a complete disinterest thereof.

Single and loving it.
Thanks for reading.

Thanks for sharing, what a refreshing change, fed up of hearing about how someone needs to procreate in this world or everyone apparently has a soul mate and needs to experience romantic love blah blah blah.
Nothing wrong with enjoying your own company or feeling fulfilled in life in other ways. Theirs more to life then being in a relationship or reproducing anyway.