History of your house/ neighborhood

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 11:27 pm

Does anyone wonder about who lived in your house before you, or what was there before it was built? In my current house, the tract replaced orange groves in the mid-1950s but obviously other people lived here before me, though Google won't tell me who. I've also been trying to track down original real estate ads and promotional literature, and though the scans are entirely too small to enlarge, I've found a few leads on a newspaper archive site. Although entirely impossible, my dream would be to buy every house in the neighborhood and undo the atrocious McMansion remodeling work perpetrated on them and restore them all to their original Eichleresque MCM architectural glory, even though I still miss living in the faux-Spanish Colonial I previously dwelt in

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 2:18 am

I do often wonder about the estate I live on.

It is quite a well to do area full of big old houses and it is gated off as well.

Once a year they close the gate for old times sake.

I think I'll go now and google it.

Be back soon.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 2:29 am

I can't find much. The area was named after the railway station which was named after the Davenport family.

I will do some more research but my computers on the blink and I'm using my phone.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 2:58 am

http://www.davenportpark.org.uk/history.html

this has become my special interest this morning.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 3:45 am

I know who lived in my house just before I did. They were present when I was doing the pre-purchase inspections. I even know their names. I still get their mail :? (which I throw out - if you still haven't changed your address with the DVA after 3 years it not my problem).

Who lived in it before them I don't know. This place was apparently built in 2002 but I've been in this town all my life and can't exactly recall a vacant block of land here at any stage. I'm the house's third owner I think. The two before me were investors so there's probably been several tenants move in and out over the years.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 3:49 am

Do a search at the county clerk office

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 4:06 am

Nevermind I just remembered. :D There was a drive-thru bottle shop and lots of trees. The pub must have subdivided the block.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 4:07 am

The man who used to live in my house, now lives just across the road.

He's really nice and he's gave me loads of stuff (rugs, blinds etc.)

I still get his mail too.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 7:54 am

My house is around 300 years old or more, nobody knows for sure. It is constructed in stone. Instead of mortar holding the stones together they are held with a mixture of clay, straw and lime - which is an ancient form of mortar. It has oak beams throughout supporting the floors which are also made of a mixture of clay and straw laid on top of strips of wood with a final layer of floorboards on top. Originally it would have had a thatched roof, but it has slates nowadays. Countless generations must have lived in this house.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 8:16 am

Is your house in the Tudor style, TallyMan?

My home is a "garden apartment" within a complex which was built in 1951 for veterans of World War II. Only one family had lived in my apartment before I moved in during January, 2010.

Also: that 2.71 number: I know it's something remotely akin to "pi." When does one use that number? I know it's basic for a mathematician.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 12:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is your house in the Tudor style, TallyMan?

My home is a "garden apartment" within a complex which was built in 1951 for veterans of World War II. Only one family had lived in my apartment before I moved in during January, 2010.

Also: that 2.71 number: I know it's something remotely akin to "pi." When does one use that number? I know it's basic for a mathematician.

No, my house is French "longere" style. It is long but not very deep front to back.

The number in my sig is "e". It crops up a lot in math and physics.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

30 Apr 2014, 12:32 pm

I live in a relatively newly developed area. My house and neighborhood was created in 2007. I don't think there's too much going on. :P

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

My parends builded the house when I was 7. Thats the whole story.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 3:34 pm

I know only of two families who lived before me in my current house. The first resident was an old woman my mother used to take care of on a regular basis; she passed away in 2005. The other family was that of my cousin's ex-boyfriend. My family and I live in an old neighborhood.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

30 Apr 2014, 3:36 pm

Only one family lived in the current house I am in, which is almost a quarter century old. It's in an isolated neighborhood, which, living there, has its good side and bad side. A few newer houses have cropped since I first moved to the area I am in mid-December 1998.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 7:30 pm

My house was built in 1910. My house and the houses on either side of mine were built by the same family. There's a small warehouse/shop on a large lot behind my house. This was the location of the family business for the family who owned the three houses. They made surgical instruments. Not sure what it's used for now, it was sold recently.
My house is a small bungalow style home set up on top of a hill. I'm having trouble researching the area here because the county divisions here didn't exist back in 1910. I checked for census records and found nothing. The older gentleman who gave me the information I do have died so I'm not sure where to find more information.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"