Polish proverb Zołnierz strzela Pan Bóg kule nosi

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 8:47 am

In Poland Poland we have militaristic proverb "Zołnierz strzela Pan Bóg kule nosi" with can be translated as "Soldier shoot but the God control the bullet"
I wonder does is any equivalent in English Language :D

Last edited by pawelk1986 on 30 Apr 2014, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 9:29 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
In Poland Poland we have militaristic proverb "Zołnierz strzela Pan Bóg kule nosi" with can be translated as "Soldier shoot but the Good control the bullet"

Does the word good mean using the concept of good to direct where and at what the soldier fires his firearm at?

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 9:53 am

stardraigh wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
In Poland Poland we have militaristic proverb "Zołnierz strzela Pan Bóg kule nosi" with can be translated as "Soldier shoot but the Good control the bullet"

Does the word good mean using the concept of good to direct where and at what the soldier fires his firearm at?

My mistake i misspelled i mean God, it should be God

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 11:10 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
stardraigh wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

My mistake i misspelled i mean God, it should be God

There is the

'When I have X event occur, I let Jesus take the wheel' or a more direct in the moment version is just saying, 'Jesus take the wheel'

It's not directly related to soldiers, but it's similar in referring to a person doing something and letting the deific force, in this case Jesus, guide or do something.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 3:10 pm

stardraigh wrote:
'When I have X event occur, I let Jesus take the wheel' or a more direct in the moment version is just saying, 'Jesus take the wheel'

It's not directly related to soldiers, but it's similar in referring to a person doing something and letting the deific force, in this case Jesus, guide or do something.

It sounds good enough but I think there might be another sentence with similliar meaning (although I can't think of any atm - English is not my national language, Polish is). The Jesus thing sounds more like "Niech Bóg ma cię w swej opiece" - "May the God take care of you" or "Niech się dzieje wola nieba (z nią się zawsze zgadzać trzeba)" - "Let the will of Heavens occur (you always have to agree with it)"

The solider and God thing you say when you want to tell: "You can't always be sure what will be the result of your actions", "Not everything can be under your control", "You didn't mean it but it happend.".
Not when you want the God to decide. More when something unplanned happen.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 7:56 pm

I found these. Maybe one of them will work.

I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside. ~ Wayne Dyer

Circumstances are beyond human control, but our conduct is in our own power. ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Free will is a golden thread running through the frozen matrix of fixed events. ~ Robert Heinlein

You have agency, and you are free to choose. But there is actually no free agency. Agency has its price. You have to pay the consequences of your choices. ~ Dieter F. Utchdorf

The road to hell is paved with good intentions ~Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

Providence has its appointed hour for everything. We cannot command results, we can only strive. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I'm just very wary that once you start military operations in any country, it's very difficult to predict what the outcome is. ~ Abdallah II of Jordan

The one word you use in military flying is duty. It's your duty. You have no control over outcome, no control over pick-and-choose. It's duty. ~ Chuck Yeager

My Blog
Deviantart Page

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 8:03 pm

stardraigh wrote:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions ~Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

The one word you use in military flying is duty. It's your duty. You have no control over outcome, no control over pick-and-choose. It's duty. ~ Chuck Yeager

The Saint Bernard of Clairvaux quote is very popular in Poland :)
As we say "dobrymi chęciami piekło jest wybrukowane"

As for Chuck Yeager he is great pilot and man i like his quote too :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 5:55 pm

It's amazing: St Bernard lived in the 11th-early 12th Century.