Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 8:20 pm

This is a very rough draft for my future okcupid profile. I still haven't decided on a username and I'm waiting until my 18th birthday(May 29th). I'm basically planning to join the dating site because I want to meet new friends and discover exactly what my sexuality is.

I'm looking for a girl who is punky, edgy and willing to treat me like an equal. I don't know how to include this on my profile. I know that calling people punky and edgy is lame.

I don't know what to put on my self summary because I'm pretty socially isolated and don't have any attractive hobbies. I recently started playing accordion, but I think playing beginner accordion at eighteen is very lame. I'm always in my room and I want to stop being bored and isolated all the time.

My self-summary
I know this section is important, but I have no idea what to write here.

What I'm doing with my life
I'm still in school and I'm still in the process of discovering what I want to do. I probably want to do something music or art related, but I'm open minded about other stuff.
I'm really good at
I don't know.
The first thing(s) people usually notice about me
I don't know
My favorite books, movies, music, and food
The Giver, Emilie Autumn, Wristcutters: A Love Story
The six things I could never do without
My iPhone, music, the internet
I spend a lot of time thinking about
My future
On a typical Friday night I am
Relaxing
The most private thing I'm willing to admit here
I'm a socially awkward nerd :)
You should message me if
You're open minded

* Girls who like girls
* Ages 18-22
* Near me
* Who are single
* For new friends, short-term dating

Uncanny_Valerie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2014, 9:36 pm

I think the accordion is cool and 18 is young! Of course you should start learning it and put that in your profile.

I'm neither a teenager nor a Lesbian, but I would date you if I were simply because you put "socially awkward nerd."

And it it totally okay to not know a lot of things about yourself at age 18. Self-discovery is a good thing and you're doing it now, so go you!

Also, try the OKCupid subreddit. (reddit.com/r/okcupid). They specialize in this sort of feedback.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 10:46 pm

Uncanny_Valerie wrote:
I think the accordion is cool and 18 is young! Of course you should start learning it and put that in your profile.

I'm neither a teenager nor a Lesbian, but I would date you if I were simply because you put "socially awkward nerd."

And it it totally okay to not know a lot of things about yourself at age 18. Self-discovery is a good thing and you're doing it now, so go you!

Also, try the OKCupid subreddit. (reddit.com/r/okcupid). They specialize in this sort of feedback.

I posted this on there, but they thought I was a troll.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 11:36 pm

Out of curiosity, why is OKCupid so popular? POF has a free basic membership and a lot of people belong. I'm not on any of them, I'm just wondering, because I see OKC mentioned on WP a lot.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 12:06 am

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Out of curiosity, why is OKCupid so popular? POF has a free basic membership and a lot of people belong. I'm not on any of them, I'm just wondering, because I see OKC mentioned on WP a lot.

I'm joining it because it has a lot of fun quizzes and a younger crowd. I think POF is mostly for people in their 30s.

Archdevilius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 1:15 am

DevilKisses wrote:
This is a very rough draft for my future okcupid profile. I still haven't decided on a username and I'm waiting until my 18th birthday(May 29th). I'm basically planning to join the dating site because I want to meet new friends and discover exactly what my sexuality is.

I'm looking for a girl who is punky, edgy and willing to treat me like an equal. I don't know how to include this on my profile. I know that calling people punky and edgy is lame.

I don't know what to put on my self summary because I'm pretty socially isolated and don't have any attractive hobbies. I recently started playing accordion, but I think playing beginner accordion at eighteen is very lame. I'm always in my room and I want to stop being bored and isolated all the time.

My self-summary

I'm still in school and I'm still in the process of discovering what I want to do. I probably want to do something music or art related, but I'm open minded about other stuff.
I'm really good at
I don't know.
I don't know
My future
Relaxing
You should message me if
You're open minded

* Girls who like girls
* Ages 18-22
* Near me
* Who are single

Yeah, it's important. Draft it up and let others critique it.

I'd change this line to something like "I'm passionate about music & the arts, but I'm open minded as to what I do professionally." Eliminating the "probably," eliminates conveying indecisiveness. Stating that you're passionate about your interests is a good thing, but adding that you're open to a different line of work to earn a living says "I'm realistic about not being a starving artist & do what to earn myself a living vs. an existence."

You must be really good at something. Figure it out, no matter how trivial you think it may be, and present it well. It will convey that you recognize the good in yourself & that you're confident in something.

There's got to be something people notice about you. If there isn't one particular thing, pick something people have complimented you on and go with that. Do a little marketing/self promotion about it. After all, that's what this is for. Just don't be a narcissist.

I have no idea what the book is about, but it doesn't matter, but I'd remove the wristcutters reference as the automatic impression some people may get is that you're into some depressive weird s**t. You don't want that potential reaction - so keep that book title off your dating profile. It'll help get you more dates by not eliminating some people from messaging you who may be a little creeped out by that book title. The book may in fact be phenomenal, but first impressions are what this profile is all about... and the potential for a negative impact being made by that title is far greater than piquing someone's interest in you - unless maybe they're depressed and into that sort of thing, which likely isn't the sort of girl you're looking to attract in the first place.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 1:44 am

goldfish21 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

My self-summary

I'm really good at
I don't know.
I don't know
My future
Relaxing
You should message me if
You're open minded

* Girls who like girls
* Ages 18-22
* Near me
* Who are single

Yeah, it's important. Draft it up and let others critique it.

I'd change this line to something like "I'm passionate about music & the arts, but I'm open minded as to what I do professionally." Eliminating the "probably," eliminates conveying indecisiveness. Stating that you're passionate about your interests is a good thing, but adding that you're open to a different line of work to earn a living says "I'm realistic about not being a starving artist & do what to earn myself a living vs. an existence."

You must be really good at something. Figure it out, no matter how trivial you think it may be, and present it well. It will convey that you recognize the good in yourself & that you're confident in something.

There's got to be something people notice about you. If there isn't one particular thing, pick something people have complimented you on and go with that. Do a little marketing/self promotion about it. After all, that's what this is for. Just don't be a narcissist.

I have no idea what the book is about, but it doesn't matter, but I'd remove the wristcutters reference as the automatic impression some people may get is that you're into some depressive weird sh**. You don't want that potential reaction - so keep that book title off your dating profile. It'll help get you more dates by not eliminating some people from messaging you who may be a little creeped out by that book title. The book may in fact be phenomenal, but first impressions are what this profile is all about... and the potential for a negative impact being made by that title is far greater than piquing someone's interest in you - unless maybe they're depressed and into that sort of thing, which likely isn't the sort of girl you're looking to attract in the first place.

Thanks for critiquing my profile. I kind of want to attract a slightly depressed girl. I find that happy girls tend to be condescending/patronizing and I really want to keep those girls away from me. "Wristcutters: A Love Story" is actually a movie. It's one of the only movies I actually like. It is a bit depressing, but it actually makes you think. Unlike most crappy Hollywood movies. I don't really want to date a girl that is a huge fan of Hollywood movies.

Any advice for a username? I know I won't be going by DevilKisses because that will probably attract perverts and they can find my WP account. I also want some advice for my self summary.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 2:40 am

Username isn't that crucial, just so long as it isn't offensive. Maintaining a bit of anonymity I use usernames that don't have a lot of meaning to me. My username here is an example. I don't use it anywhere else, although my username on addforums was goldfish & I've mentioned that here before. I selected it back when my short term memory was that of a golfish, 2-3 seconds. :p On a dating site I use a username that's simply made up of two colour names and a somewhat random number. I just like the colours, and the number has a bit of significance to me but not much. It's just a simple name that no one can really make any judgements about or be offended by. Just looking at your avatar you could use something like littlered. Or redmusic03 (or whatever number.) Don't over think a name or try to be toooo cutesy with it, because the harder you try at it the cheesier it's likely to come across. Keep it simple, just don't use anything that'd be off putting to some.

You'll have to write your own self summary in order for anyone to critique it for edits. Start off by answering basic W5&H questions about yourself. Who you are, what you're all about/into, where you're from - are now - and may be going, when (could be when you're intending on achieving a goal or making a life change, when you decided to explore a same sex relationship, when you'd like to date someone (looking for asap, just chatting and open to future dates?) - just some when, why you're on OKC & what you're hoping to get out of it, how you intend to go about ___? dating? achieving a goal?

That isn't some format that's required or anything, but just what popped into mind right now & IMO worthy of consideration as a base to start from.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 2:52 pm

I've been considering two usernames. I either want to go by IcyInferno or InternetDweller. I know those are kind of bad, but I'm horrible at thinking of usernames. I won't use DevilKisses because I think that username will attract creeps.

My self-summary
I was born and raised in Victoria. I'm passionate about music and psychology. I value equality especially when it comes to relationships. I love meeting people I can have a good conversation with.

I'm thinking of doing something music or art related, but I'm open minded about other stuff.
I'm really good at
I don't know.
I don't know
Books:The Giver, Sophie's World and Flowers for Algernon
Music: Emilie Autumn and a bunch of Nordic stuff.
Movies: Wristcutters: A Love Story, foreign films and documentaries
My iPhone, music, the internet, my cat, my brain and love.
My future
Relaxing
You should message me if
You're open minded

* Girls who like girls
* Ages 18-22
* Near me
* Who are single

Last edited by DevilKisses on 24 May 2014, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:07 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Out of curiosity, why is OKCupid so popular? POF has a free basic membership and a lot of people belong.

I've been on OKC since they started. I've tried looking at PoF before, but it looked like everyone there was pretty boring...can't even remember if I made a profile page or not =)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:41 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:

OKC is much more detailed than POF, it lets you create a more powerful profile, and learn more about your potential matches than POF does.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 2:51 pm

Should I hide my profile from straight people? I've heard that straight guys can be really creepy.

Isp3c
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2014, 7:31 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
Should I hide my profile from straight people? I've heard that straight guys can be really creepy.

Usually if you are a straight guy you would put looking for girls who are straight in your search criteria, I know that I have never seen a girl looking for a girl (bi girls yes) in my potential matches nor have I seen another male (other than that one guy who mislabeled himself as a female), I am not sure if you can actually "hide" your profile from others but you can block specific users from contacting/seeing you. If you get any creepy messages your best bet is to report them and block them and let the moderators (like me) do their job.

I of course have little idea what it is like coming from the other side of the fence, most of the girls I have chatted with on Okcupid are inundated with messages, mostly cut and pasted "hey sexy wanna bang" ones. That does suck for some of us as we get lost in the mass delete mode that many of the females have to do.

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2014, 8:35 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:

I've tried both and found that it's easier to find people with similar interests on OKC. The questions do a much better job matching you with people that are easier to start a conversation with. I don't even have PoF anymore, actually.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 2:18 pm

Just be careful of creepy messages from some guys and try to ignore them, as you will probably get spammed with them. If you plan to go on date, have a family member or friend review their profile and message, and accompany you near the date.