Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 4:01 pm

Article from the Sunday Observer 17 July 1966
Courtesy of Larry Arnold

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 4:06 pm

Elvis cured autism??

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 7:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Elvis cured autism??

In a movie with "Rage Reduction Therapy" he did. The link from 3 years ago does not work anymore due to copy write violations.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 1:04 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Elvis cured autism??

In a movie with "Rage Reduction Therapy" he did. The link from 3 years ago does not work anymore due to copy write violations.

Now I've heard everything!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 12:52 am

1973 British book
For The Love Of Ann: Based On A Diary By Jack Hodges

Quote:
The story of an autistic child and of how she and her family coped, taken from her father's diaries

This covers a family whomwent against the near universal 1950s recommendation to institutionalize children.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 3:25 am

The Mod Squad - Season 4 Episode 2 "Cricket" Aired September 21, 1971
"An autistic and withdrawn boy who has accidentally shot Julie is sought by the Squad in order to save him from a murderer (Note: This episode was remade as an episode of Charlie's Angels)."

Charlie's Angels - Season 1 Episode 7 "To Kill an Angel" Aired November 21, 1976
"Kelly takes Skip, an autistic little boy, on an outing to an amusement park. When away for a few moments, two hired killers bump into Skip after they have just murdered a man. One of the killers drops his gun near Skip, who accidentally shoots Kelly and runs away. Kelly is hospitalized with a minor head wound and Sabrina and Jill take up the search for Skip, trying to find his whereabouts using clues from his favorite nursery rhyme. The killers visit Kelly in the hospital and learn the clues as well, determined to silence Skip before the Angels can rescue him."

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 3:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Invariably, these kids would reach milestones "normally," including speech---then lose the ability to speak between 18 months and 2 1/2 years of age.

With speach, that describes me. Most on the spectrum simply do not speak. I have a niece who I am sure is on the spectrum though my brother (Her Dad) does not believe it as he does not see what I see, and she did not learn to speak until she was five onwards and had to have speach therapy. She did hnd signals and used her facial expressions so well we often did not even realize she had asked us for things without speaking! A very clever child with a beautiful mind.