Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 4:36 pm

It seems that when writers want their story to take place somewhere interesting, there's only a handful of places from which the writers choose a setting. If they want the story to take place in the US, everything will happen in New York City. If they want the story to take place in the UK, everything will happen in London. If they want the story to take place in Japan, everything will happen in Tokyo. What other real life cities tend to get overutilized in fictional media?

mezzanotte
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 4:58 pm

Washington D.C., Beijing, Paris, Chicago, Los Angeles, Cairo, Berlin, Rome, Jerusalem, Alexandria.

I discourage writers from situating their stories in real-life cities unless it's absolutely necessary. Obviously it's vital in historical fiction or with plots that are intimately tied to culture and location.

But if the main elements of the story function well in any location, there's no need to attach those elements to real cities when you can create your own fictional cities and worlds that are free of implicit stereotypes.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 7:46 am

It's pretty much any major city. I write all over when it comes to geography. I'm not afraid to go to big cities. I don't avoid them to be different.

You could add any popular tourist destination or any location that makes the news. The more people writers and artists encounter references in real life, the more likely it seems they are used fictionally. Also a lot of people will write or create in a setting they are familiar with.

Las Vegas
New Orleans
Detroit
London
Miami
Fort Lauderdale
The island of Maui in general if anything occurs in Hawaii.
Hong Kong
Sydney
Singapore
Monaco

My Blog
Deviantart Page

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 9:50 am

Orlando, San Antonio, Phoenix, Bogota, Jakarta, Oslo

All places that need some more attention.