Page 5 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 2:52 pm

German was my first language. I spoke that exclusively until I was six, then learned English.

I learned Spanish in high school and could read and write it pretty well.

Auroras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2016, 3:14 pm

Finnish is my native language. I speak English fluently, understand and speak basic Swedish and have studied some Japanese, Latin and German, although my knowledge is still quite limited~ Hopefully I'll get to start Chinese or German classes next year!

ramondamyconi
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2016, 3:53 pm

Spanish is my native language (born and lived in Argentina until I was 8 ). I've lived here long enough that I speak English fluently and without an accent. I also still speak Spanish fluently since I'm always talking in it with my mom, plus reading and writing to keep myself from forgetting it.

I took German for 3 years in high school, and Latin for 3 years in middle school. I remember very little about Latin except for how Vs are supposed to be pronounced. German I remember a lot more, even went on a 2 week exchange to Austria for my German 2 class and got to learn some fun distinctions between German dialects. I have always had an amazing knack for quickly learning and memorizing words/vocabulary, but actual grammar and stringing coherent sentences is where I got snagged. I currently have Duolingo for German since I do want to pick it up again, I'm finding that grammar is a bit easier to understand now as an adult for some reason.

I can also understand about 90% of written Portuguese, and about 70% of spoken Portuguese (It is so, SO similar to Spanish it's not even funny, seriously any other Spanish speakers on here, consider picking it up! With dedicated study you can probably be fluent in about a year). I will say this only counts for Brazilian Portuguese, the Portugal version is harder for me to understand. And yeah I also have Duolingo for Brazilian Portuguese, plus my mom recently finished her course on it so I'll be hitting those books, hoping to be at least at an intermediate level within a year :) I also would love to learn Japanese, but that's kind of last on my list right now since compared to German and Portuguese I don't know as much. I've managed to memorize hiragana and katakana but it isn't good for much when you know little vocab lol!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 4:13 pm

i can say hvala... :oops:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 4:22 pm

Turkish, English, Japanese, Czech

I don't consider myself fluent even in my mother tongue which is Turkish. (I have subtle talking difficulties)

I can speak English, nearly as well as I can speak Turkish, however I do have an accent (not a Turkish one though).

I learned Japanese for 4 months with a tutor (finished upper intermediate level). And self studied N1-N2 level books for over a year when I was around 15. Today I have rusty skills in Kanji and speaking. But I'm confident when it comes to listening, reading and writing. I can pronounce Japanese pretty easily and correctly as it's a syllabic language like Turkish.

I'm currently learning Czech and I consider myself an upper intermediate level. I have problems speaking (mostly due to anxiety) but I can pronounce the words well. I can read, write and understand spoken language quite well too.

German was a compulsory class at high school. I can understand some German words when I read or hear but I never liked the language (the teacher) so I was not willing to actually learn it. I kind of regret it today.

One day I will learn Finnish.

What excites me about languages is certainly the grammar -though in case of Japanese also the characters. I don't care if I can't speak it so well. I just want to get to know everything behind the rules, associate, appreciate and put the pieces of puzzle together. It's just so satisfying.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 8:30 am

Only English, but I am learning Spanish. I learn languages out of use, not for fun or heritage. English and Spanish are probably the only languages I'll need. But since I am learning Spanish, I can also read Portuguese and understand it - to a lesser extent. Galician comes pretty easily. I can get the basic idea of French and Italian texts. Due to the massive amount of English loanwords and all of the cognates with Spanish.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 1:51 am

komamanga wrote:
What excites me about languages is certainly the grammar -though in case of Japanese also the characters. I don't care if I can't speak it so well. I just want to get to know everything behind the rules, associate, appreciate and put the pieces of puzzle together. It's just so satisfying.

ah yeah...it very much is. :D

i'm trying to shift my hebrew focus onto gaining lots more vocabulary at the moment, though i find that much harder to focus on compared to grammar.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 9:53 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
komamanga wrote:

ah yeah...it very much is. :D

i'm trying to shift my hebrew focus onto gaining lots more vocabulary at the moment, though i find that much harder to focus on compared to grammar.

What I realized while learning languages is that I have great difficulty absorbing vocabulary until I reach a point where I comprehend the grammar. And when I'm finally there the vocabulary sneaks itself into my brain even without trying. It's a strange thing. I used to get very upset when I couldn't remember the new words I'd just learned but now I have a more relaxed attitude about it as I know that I will reach that point sooner or later if I continue studying .

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 3:56 pm

I can speak some German, but I am still learning the language in school.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 8:12 pm

I speak German too :)

I also speak some Russian and am learning Spanish.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 6:32 pm

English is the only laguage I seak fluently - yet I wrote the WP discussion-thread 'The Confounding Subtleties Of The English Language' in the 'Social Skills and Making Friends' Forum.

EXCERPT: It's refreshing to find words in other languages which seem to do a better job than the English language in defining those elusive concepts. After awhile, defining those well........hard to define concepts in the English language becomes a seemingly increasingly futile exercise of semantic gymnastics.

It's believed that understanding other languages is important to developing critical thinking skills; which may in some small ways boost social skills.

---

Anybody feel inclined to learn a few words/quotes in other languages?

andrew112
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2022, 1:03 am

I know a bit of Portuguese, thanks to Duo Lingo and Google translate lol.

Glossa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2022, 12:48 am

Mandarin Chinese and Wu Chinese (native)
English(advanced) Dutch Finnish and German (not so fluent hahah). I hope I can learn a little Low Saxon? :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 7:50 pm

I'm making an effort to improve my ASL through an app named ASL Bloom.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 8:17 pm

I can read novels in French and Spanish. I’m working on Italian off and on, but I’m not very serious about it. It’s mostly for musical purposes.

varikvalefor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2023, 8:51 pm

.i la .varik. cu baupli la .lojban. je le cmacybau je le glibau

VARIK uses Lojban, mathematical notation, and English.