Page 4 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 10:22 am

English is my mother tongue, and I know some Accadien ( French Canadian dialect ).

SpongeBobFan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Sep 2015, 8:53 am

I'm alright in Spanish, I can have a conversation in the language with a native speaker

Freedoomed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 12:48 am

French and Antillean Creole are my first languages. I would say that I am fluent in English and German. I recently began learning Russian and must say that accustoming Cyrillic alphabet may be the most interesting part.

wheelykpopeonni
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2015, 3:53 am

Fluent: English (native), Korean
Learning: Japanese, Chinese, American Sign Language.

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2015, 3:58 am

English and Signed English (S.E.E.)

I'm also fairly good at reading Spanish and Italian, but can't understand much when spoken due to my marginal hearing.

ChristyA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2015, 5:04 pm

Some Swedish and Spanish

redocean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2015, 5:09 pm

Norwegian(first language/mothertounge)
English
Japanese

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 1:41 am

still not enough.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Cactustelefonogato
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2016, 5:40 pm

Native Spanish speaker, fluent in English, currently learning German and Esperanto...I'm a beginner in these last two though lol

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 3:26 pm

English and Japanese(working progress anyway)

Memphisto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2016, 10:50 am

English (native) , Japanese (somewhere between upper intermediate/lower advanced) but I'm poor at judging my own abilities. Going by JLPT levels, I'm nearly at the N1 level.

Kanji knowledge appears to be my strongest skill followed by reading comprehension and grammar. I'm a bit weaker at listening because there are so many homonyms in Japanese and I have issues if I can't see the kanji. I have minor issues with homonyms even in English. :lol:
Speaking, I'm abysmal at because I'm self-taught and live in an area where there are no opportunities to speak Japanese. Of course the real reason is because I've got extreme social anxiety among other things, so I'd be too embarrassed to speak even if there were chances. I'm too timid to even try to use Skype. If writing it counts for anything, I can communicate in writing and express myself adequately. I've got a few native speaker friends online.

Kovu
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2016, 2:22 pm

Fluent: English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese.
Meh: French and Catalan.

And survival German, but it doesn't count.

Currently trying to improve my French.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 1:37 pm

Memphisto wrote:
English (native) , Japanese (somewhere between upper intermediate/lower advanced) but I'm poor at judging my own abilities. Going by JLPT levels, I'm nearly at the N1 level.

Kanji knowledge appears to be my strongest skill followed by reading comprehension and grammar. I'm a bit weaker at listening because there are so many homonyms in Japanese and I have issues if I can't see the kanji. I have minor issues with homonyms even in English. :lol:
Speaking, I'm abysmal at because I'm self-taught and live in an area where there are no opportunities to speak Japanese. Of course the real reason is because I've got extreme social anxiety among other things, so I'd be too embarrassed to speak even if there were chances. I'm too timid to even try to use Skype. If writing it counts for anything, I can communicate in writing and express myself adequately. I've got a few native speaker friends online.

Seriously ! ! You gotta be more then just an N1, I'm barely N1 you're probably an N3 or something

Memphisto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2016, 11:22 am

green0star wrote:
Memphisto wrote:

Seriously ! ! You gotta be more then just an N1, I'm barely N1 you're probably an N3 or something

Oh... the Japanese proficiency level ranking is a bit funny, I suppose, as it's in reverse. (^.^; It goes from N5 to N1 with N5 being the lowest and N1 being the highest.

However, being at the N1 level doesn't necessarily equal fluency, as there's a lot of vocabulary that's not included. Much of the vocabulary in the JLPT levels is centered around business, and terms that are likely to appear in a newspaper, so it still leaves one with gaps in vocabulary including some of the basic words that even native children know. Basically, what I mean is that N1 isn't native level proficiency. :)

I've gained most of my vocabulary from video games rather than focusing on the JLPT vocabulary, some of which I've found to be boring (笑) but for the sake of completion, I've made myself buckle down and study the N2 and N1 vocab lists over the past year.

I have a fairly decent passive vocabulary now, but I still need to work a lot to make the passive into active. And I have a minor language processing issue, I believe, which causes me to briefly mix up homonyms regardless of context and if I'm distracted or under stress, or the volume is too low I basically revert to N5 level understanding!! So, regardless of my actual knowledge I'm pretty sure I'd fail the test, anyway, haha.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 10:20 am

Oh yea, I forgot how that worked. So you're pretty much near fluent then. Now me, I've been using rosetta stone for over a year and I'm about to enter unit 11. I am a noob still because I barely get any practice outside of it and my speaking is very terrible too.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 2:52 pm

German was my first language. I spoke that exclusively until I was six, then learned English.

I learned Spanish in high school and could read and write it pretty well.