Page 3 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Sunny55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2015, 10:08 am

My native language is English, I speak good Finnish and read and write it well, and I can speak some French and German and can read and write both languages well. Can still read some Russian, though have forgotten most of it.

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Feb 2015, 12:20 am

I know English and Spanish. I also know "tourist level French". What I mean by that is, I can ask "How much does this baguette cost" and "I'll have some wine" or "Where is the toilet?"

And of course, the indispensable "Voulez vous coucher avec moi, c'est soir?"

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 12:31 am

I used to study German, but what I learned has almost completely faded from memory.

These days, this about sums it up:

Jules_Bonnot_1912
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2015, 3:39 pm

I forgot: ¡uʍop əpısdn ʞɐəds ı

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 4:27 am

in Upside Down, every plosive is a fricative. and every unrounded vowel is rounded. voiced sounds are unvoiced. it would be fun, i guess, if one could read English text and then apply those 'filters'...so to speak. if my processing speed was fast enough.

used to be able to count to 100 in finnish but i think i lost that ability... :( still learning to count in hebrew! using the alephbet+geresh, too.

my uncle, whom i nearly never see, has a romanian coworker and he knows a few phrases (among bits from other languages). something about him i never ever knew.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ThatAspieLinguist
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2015, 8:14 pm

Hablo español.
Je parle français.
日本語ができます。
Ich spreche Deutsch.

I'm fairly proficient in Spanish and French as I've studied Spanish for 5 years and French for 4. I have a decent knowledge of Japanese, been studying it for 4 years, but it takes quite some time to master since it is completely different than English. Nonetheless, it's probably my favorite language. This is my first year of German, so I'm just a novice at that. I plan on starting Chinese next year too, since the language sounds too beautiful and learning the writing system will be a great way to reinforce the Chinese characters I've learned in Japanese. Most aspies have a special talent, and languages is mine, I'm 17 and I still absorb languages as if I were a child.

I'm a language nerd, so this is automatically my favorite forum on this site! Languages are my favorite thing, and my area of expertise, so fellow language learners, get at me! :D

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 12:52 am

bienvenidos a WP! este forum tambien es uno de mis preferidos. :)

i think at the age of 17 one still can absorb language pretty easy, compared to 25+..>*ducks and covers in case of scientific evidence to the contrary*

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 12:08 am

I speak every language. (at least all that is available on Google Translate)

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 5:59 am

I am fluent in Finnish, Swedish, German, and Russian. I'd like to be more fluent in English, I have so many things to say, but this language barrier allows me not to.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 3:12 pm

Fluent English, German, Luxembourgish and a handful of German dialect. I know a bit Old Prussian, Visigothic, Latin, Dutch and Westvlaams. I can speak conversational Belgian French.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 3:24 pm

English is my mother tongue, and I translate French, German and Romanian literature. To varying levels I also speak Russian, Hungarian, Slovene, Czech, Aromanian, Latin, Ancient Greek, plus a little Serb, Croat and Polish. I can also read Church Slavonic, the liturgical language of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Languages can become an obsession. Once you've learnt one (I started Latin at the age of 7), you can't stop.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2015, 1:57 am

Shwsara a meté tselet malinell, shwmadel.

Te yo-Yohio mecaidel tonn ren pa etsenessecy tadhete, ta yoredit xanna. O Fraellieal, flonn xalala cevhe haieazen ze?

:roll:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 10:18 am

Not enough.

Hyperborean wrote:
Languages can become an obsession. Once you've learnt one (I started Latin at the age of 7), you can't stop.

I wish.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

AlanTuringsGhost
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2015, 12:14 am

Spanish is my native tongue.
I've been living in the USA since I was 7, so I'm fluent in English.
I can speak, read and write in French but not to the point I would consider myself fluent. Have only studied it for 3 years. French was really easy to pick up since it's a Romance language like Spanish so the grammar was very similar and there are a lot of words in Spanish and French with a shared etymology which helped immensely. I haven't studied French recently due to my busy college schedule but I am hoping to have the time to improve my French in the near future.
I am currently taking an introductory Japanese course in college and can say a few tourist-tier words and phrases. I can read hiragana, some katakana, but haven't touched kanji yet. Have only been studying Japanese for 1 month.

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2015, 8:15 am

My native language is German.
The only languages I know beside it are Japanese and English.
I took lessons in Japanese for a year but I had to quit due to my lack of time since I'm now in my last year of a regular school. I started learning English in grade three and I still learn it in school but it's quite different from the English you normally speak. My teacher and my classmate have a very harsh accent which exactly sounds like how the parodies on Youtube describe germans speaking English. So I decided to teach myself a different pronounciation. Plus English is used all around the world so it's pretty useful.
Next year I have to learn Latin for my studies.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 10:22 am

English is my mother tongue, and I know some Accadien ( French Canadian dialect ).