Page 8 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 4:46 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^high speed internet is prohibitively expensive where I live. so no internet tv for me.

Well, what languages do you want to learn/are you learning? I'm assuming Russian Spanish, I mean Portuguese.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 4:49 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^high speed internet is prohibitively expensive where I live. so no internet tv for me.

Well, what languages do you want to learn/are you learning? I'm assuming Russian Spanish, I mean Portuguese.

I've always been partial to French. I mainly like picking on my guitar and croaking along in an attempt at singing some songs, the ones i'm working on are in foreign tongues, such as French and Portuguese. not too many, really- mainly "mon pays bleu" and "manha da carnaval."

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:00 pm

auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I've always been partial to French. I mainly like picking on my guitar and croaking along in an attempt at singing some songs, the ones i'm working on are in foreign tongues, such as French and Portuguese. not too many, really- mainly "mon pays bleu" and "manha da carnaval."

Something of (the) carnival? I feel as if I should know manha, because it's probably a cognate with Spanish.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:04 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Something of (the) carnival? I feel as if I should know manha, because it's probably a cognate with Spanish.

"morning of carnival." carnaval is brazil's big party they have each year. it was from the movie "orfeu negro" and was written by the great Brazilian guitarist luiz bonfa. in the movie it was sung in the movie by the late great agostinho dos santos, soccer star breno mello was just lip-syncing.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

"morning of carnival." carnaval is brazil's big party they have each year. it was from the movie "orfeu negro" and was written by the great Brazilian guitarist luiz bonfa. in the movie it was sung in the movie by the late great agostinho dos santos, soccer star breno mello was just lip-syncing.

Ah, it's mañana in Spanish. Why are you learning Portuguese and French? The culture? The history?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:11 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Ah, it's mañana in Spanish. Why are you learning Portuguese and French? The culture? The history?

Brazilian music, and French style 8)

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Brazilian music, and French style 8)

Understandable, Brazilian Portuguese sounds leagues better than European Portuguese. I know from Portuguese learners and linguists alike that this is a popular opinion.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:13 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
Understandable, Brazilian Portuguese sounds leagues better than European Portuguese. I know from Portuguese learners and linguists alike that this is a popular opinion.

I've not gotten to hear what national Portuguese sounds like. is it more guttural than Brazilian? I sorta like the count of Catalan, also.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:17 pm

auntblabby wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

I've not gotten to hear what national Portuguese sounds like. is it more guttural than Brazilian? I sorta like the count of Catalan, also.

S is pronounced like sh in European Portuguese. E sounds are dropped most of the time. Estou would sound like "sh-ow" instead of "eh-st-ow". Catalan sounds beautiful, a compromise between Spanish and French.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 2:05 am

אני רק יכול לומד שפה אחת בפעם...אם אני לומד עברית, אין זמן ללמוד אטרונן. ואם אני עובד באטרונן, אין זמן ללמוד עברית!! !!

:(

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

TehDoomzDay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2017, 1:06 pm

Norwegian, Finnish, Polish, Russian (sometimes), or Greek..

HermioneG
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2017, 12:38 pm

I likely will not be able to learn all of these but perhaps a handful would be nice. more German, French, Italian, and at least some Russian and Finnish. Any of the Scandinavian languages really.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
~Unofficially diagnosed but fairly certain based on personal research that I am an Aspie~

Firaga
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2017, 1:27 pm

Swedish, Finnish, Romanian and Italian. Also Hungarian tempts me for some reasons.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 1:38 pm

I'm learning Portuguese with the Duolingo app. I'm also seeking sources for European Portuguese. I don't mind if I end up with hints off different accents, since that seems unavoidable given the preponderance of the Brazilian version in US language instruction.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2017, 9:34 pm

Mandarin Chinese
Japanese
Hebrew
Russian
German
Spanish
Basque
Greek
Latin
Swedish
Dutch
Portuguese
I am obsessed with languages, I intend to learn every single one of those (except basque that’s more of a pipe dream). :lol:

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Jin Vice
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2017, 5:15 am

ScarletIbis wrote:
Mandarin Chinese
Japanese
Hebrew
Russian
German
Spanish
Basque
Greek
Latin
Swedish
Dutch
Portuguese
I am obsessed with languages, I intend to learn every single one of those (except basque that’s more of a pipe dream). :lol:

I know a lot of languages too.
6 fluent speaking + 3 passive (now working on katakana).
Is so hard to discover people that i can swap 5+ languages at the same time during conversations.