Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 2:56 pm

Sorry if I didn't spell that right. Currently I am diagnosed with Schizoaffective-Bipolar and Anxiety NOS. Every single antipsychotic causes TD in me and the doc can't seem to find one that doesn't. AntiPs also seem to cause me to stim a lot. Are these sort of side effects common with those on the spectrum? I've heard that spectrum people react differently to medications.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 3:57 pm

Angnix wrote:
Sorry if I didn't spell that right. Currently I am diagnosed with Schizoaffective-Bipolar and Anxiety NOS. Every single antipsychotic causes TD in me and the doc can't seem to find one that doesn't. AntiPs also seem to cause me to stim a lot. Are these sort of side effects common with those on the spectrum? I've heard that spectrum people react differently to medications.

have you tried an atypical antipsychotic, like seroquel? wikipedia: seroquel (quetiapine)

i take a low dose of it at night for sleep regulation and i have had no issues with side effects with it.

btw, it's "tardive dyskinesia".

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 4:08 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Angnix wrote:

have you tried an atypical antipsychotic, like seroquel? wikipedia: seroquel (quetiapine)

i take a low dose of it at night for sleep regulation and i have had no issues with side effects with it.

I'm talking about atypicals here, I've tried seroquel, geodon, zyprexa, abilify, clozaril, saphris and now fanapt. Fanapt so far only causes me to keep my mouth open all the time. Clozaril was the worst because I lost my ability to speak. Geodon gave me such bad akathesia I wanted to die. I wanted to try Latuda but my doc said it would probably be the same.

Even a couple of non antipsychotics that have TD as a possible side effect caused TD, like Buspar and some med I don't remember the name of that they gave me because of migranes.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 4:11 pm

Angnix wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Angnix wrote:

I'm talking about atypicals here, I've tried seroquel, geodon, zyprexa, ability, clozaril, saphris and now fanapt. Fanapt so far only causes me to keep my mouth open all the time. Clozaril was the worst because I lost my ability to speak. Geodon gave me such bad akathesia I wanted to die. I wanted to try Latuda but my doc said it would probably be the same.

have you tried starting out at a very low dose? i wouldn't be able to function if i took more than 50 mgs at night, they are very strong drugs.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 4:12 pm

starvingartist wrote:
Angnix wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Angnix wrote:

I'm talking about atypicals here, I've tried seroquel, geodon, zyprexa, ability, clozaril, saphris and now fanapt. Fanapt so far only causes me to keep my mouth open all the time. Clozaril was the worst because I lost my ability to speak. Geodon gave me such bad akathesia I wanted to die. I wanted to try Latuda but my doc said it would probably be the same.

have you tried starting out at a very low dose? i wouldn't be able to function if i took more than 50 mgs at night, they are very strong drugs.

If I take a low dose, my psychosis comes back, in fact my meds have to be at a very high dose to work.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 4:16 pm

Angnix wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Angnix wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Angnix wrote:

If I take a low dose, my psychosis comes back, in fact my meds have to be at a very high dose to work.

i don't know what else to suggest, but i remember what it's like struggling to find medications that work and with side effects you can live with--it took me almost a decade to find the right "cocktail". do you trust your doctor? if so i would say just hang in there and keep trying until you find the right combination and levels. it's really just trial and error until you stumble on what works. wish i could be more helpful.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 4:59 pm

Angnix wrote:
I'm talking about atypicals here, I've tried seroquel, geodon, zyprexa, abilify, clozaril, saphris and now fanapt. Fanapt so far only causes me to keep my mouth open all the time. Clozaril was the worst because I lost my ability to speak. Geodon gave me such bad akathesia I wanted to die. I wanted to try Latuda but my doc said it would probably be the same.

Even a couple of non antipsychotics that have TD as a possible side effect caused TD, like Buspar and some med I don't remember the name of that they gave me because of migranes.

Yeah, I get TD symptoms with my meds. Involuntary muscle spasms/twitches, and that acid in the veins feeling sometimes. I am trying to live with it because I don't function well without medication. But the symptoms do seem to be getting worse, so I don't know.
Maybe they'll come up with some new drug that works with less side effects.

Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2014, 11:19 am

Have you tried Haldol? I'm on that now, and it seems to work quite well. I've never experienced TD on any of the 10 antipsychotics I've been on, though.

ASD/Asperger's Syndrome traits; diagnosed August 2014
IQ 120
(Diagnosed using the DSM-IV, not DSM-5)

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:00 pm

What about Risperdal? That's a big-name atypical I didn't see you mention.

I highly doubt Haldol would be a good choice, being a conventional anti-psychotic. The high rates of TD from typical anti-psychotics are why atypicals started to be developed in the first place.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2014, 2:32 pm

OddDuckNash99 wrote:

I highly doubt Haldol would be a good choice, being a conventional anti-psychotic. The high rates of TD from typical anti-psychotics are why atypicals started to be developed in the first place.

That's not always true with them though, I've never had TD and been on many typical antipsychotics. Cogentin or Propanolol (sp?) to take with a typical antipsychotic can be helpful as well.

IQ 120

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 11:49 am

Minionkitty wrote:
OddDuckNash99 wrote:

That's not always true with them though, I've never had TD and been on many typical antipsychotics. Cogentin or Propanolol (sp?) to take with a typical antipsychotic can be helpful as well.

I used to take cogentin and they won't give it back for some reason.

Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2014, 6:03 pm

Angnix wrote:
Minionkitty wrote:
OddDuckNash99 wrote:

That's odd, I would suspect Cogentin would be helpful for TD... I'm not sure what to suggest then, I'm sorry. I've always taken Cogentin with the typical antipsychotics. If you've been on a lot of antipsychotics, you may want to try Clozapine. But it's very strong, it made me drool profusely. Like OddDuck wrote, Risperdal may be helpful, but it can also raise prolactin levels.. Which is not fun at all.

IQ 120

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 1:49 pm

Minionkitty wrote:
Angnix wrote:
Minionkitty wrote:
OddDuckNash99 wrote:

That's odd, I would suspect Cogentin would be helpful for TD... I'm not sure what to suggest then, I'm sorry. I've always taken Cogentin with the typical antipsychotics. If you've been on a lot of antipsychotics, you may want to try Clozapine. But it's very strong, it made me drool profusely. Like OddDuck wrote, Risperdal may be helpful, but it can also raise prolactin levels.. Which is not fun at all.

Clozapine for some reason took away my ability to speak correctly... I was studdering so bad I couldn't talk.

Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2014, 9:40 am

Angnix wrote:
Clozapine for some reason took away my ability to speak correctly... I was studdering so bad I couldn't talk.

Yeah, I didn't like Clozapine much either... It made me drool. I'm not sure what else to suggest then, I'm sorry.

IQ 120