So this is where the intelligent people have been hiding!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

KC73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2014, 10:28 pm

Hi everyone,
I came across your forum by chance and was slightly stunned to discover people having thoughtful conversations and writing the sort of lengthy posts that most forums no longer seem able to cope with. Because I've spent the last couple of years being told that "the worlds moved on" and Twitter and "like" buttons are the new normal. Which seemed unfair as I was just getting to grips with the old normal.. I dont know if I'll fit in here but "wrong planet" is where I feel I'm living most of the time so I figured it was worth signing up and finding out.

I'm KC, I'm 40yrs old, female, and never know what else to say about myself in introductions. So I'll slink off now to do some more reading and watching through the window until I've figured out how things work here. Nice to have found you though.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 10:35 pm

hi, KC, welcome.

before you slink away, would you mind sharing what sorts of things you enjoy doing?

by the way, that is the nicest caption i've ever seen in an intro. thanks.

Last edited by cathylynn on 24 May 2014, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 11:06 pm

Hello KC and welcome to WrongPlanet :)

Feel free to join the general discussion (and/or other forums on WP).

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 11:30 pm

Welcome! Each sub-forum has it's own culture and personality. Have fun!

SquidinHostBody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2014, 11:52 pm

The Squid offers his most warmest greetings to you, at the commencement of your residency within our virtual communicatory domicile. May your time here, interpreting and writing in textual verbose to others of like minded disorder and intellect be delightful and stimulating. While basking in the glow of our "Wrong Planet" please keep in mind, that posts without the use of the word "Turnip" will not be tolerated. If you see an individual who has written a post without using the word "Turnip", please report them to the proper authorities. Failure to do so will invite the wrath of Cthulhu's minions. Please, do not feed trolls, as we do battle with them, and we need to keep our levels higher than theirs. Humor will not be tolerated, except when it is. When it is tolerated, It is expected that you produce a joke involving a "turnip", as this pleases Cthulhu, the authorities and the Squid, but hurts trolls.

Rocket319
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2014, 5:39 am

Hi KC73. Your caption is excellent. I am new as well and have been wondering where an undiagnosed aspie could go to find intelligent conversation. I was even more happy when The Squid said "writing in textual verbose to others of like minded disorder and intellect be delightful and stimulating". I love hyper-verbosity!

Stringy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2014, 8:41 pm

Hi KC!

Your heading made me chuckle just as much as the name of this site when I saw it on Wiki yesterday. That was when I realised why I've always been a bit strange. Purely by accident too... I just looked up 'Asperger's' after something I'd read. Never heard of it before yesterday!

Now it seems I'm not an ET entity who was by some unexplained means born to human parents after all. Even better... I'm not the only one! :D

KC73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2014, 9:54 pm

Thanks for the welcomes.

Erm, the sort of things I enjoy are being out in nature (wildlife is awesome and trees dont judge or expect me to be a mindreader, plus the very old trees have "seen it all before" which gives my own struggles a bigger context/perspective or something); interacting with animals and with my sweet trainee service dog; having "lightbulb moments" and finding information and connections that make the pictures on lifes jigsaw pieces clearer, aaand lots of answers like that that tend to make NT people look at me askew and step carefully away from me... I like comedians like Dylan Moran and Eddie Izzard, screenwriters like Joss Whedon, far too many book authors and non-famous people with passion and vision to mention , and I enjoy spending time with people who make me smile and let me experience connection, however fleetingly. Theres lots more stuff I enjoy doing and experiencing but I'll stop there before I either bore people or make myself sound more interesting than I actually am.

Quote:
It is expected that you produce a joke involving a "turnip", as this pleases Cthulhu, the authorities and the Squid, but hurts trolls.

Alas Squid, I have a deficit of Turnip jokes and politely request your accommodation and understanding of this difficult and under-recognised condition. But I did cause Turnip related amusement recently by spontaneously buying a Turnip while grocery shopping online, and then realising when it arrived that I had no idea what to do with it as the sum total of my knowledge about Turnips comes from Blackadder episodes..
(Is that enough Turnips already?)

SquidinHostBody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2014, 10:27 pm

We have sent your request up stairs to await approval on your lack of a turnip joke. While we wait for an answer, we must proclaim our love for Eddie Izzard He is nearly as funny as a turnip performing Shakespeare. We hope your time so far has been enjoyable, though might we suggest you stay out of the "Politics and Religion" section for a short while. Quite a bit of a stink stirring up over there, we're afraid.

Ah yes! Here we are... Let me get this envelope open. One moment.

I'll just read it to you. Case #T-325749 : Failure to Turnip.

We (The Cthulhu Collective) Find, in the case of "KC73"'s failure to produce a skit, joke, or vignette of a turnip, to be excused citing the following reasons.

1. The words "Turnip" or "Turnips" were used no less than 5 times during the post (6 as the quote of a previous post contained a keyword as well)

2. The lack of comedic turnip jokes was mentioned, and an apology was promptly given.

3. A Black Adder reference was used, which in this case sufficiently makes up for a lack of a turnip joke, as this reference is full of turnip jokes.

In light of these circumstances, the great Cthulhu has decided to forgive the aforementioned "KC73" for this blatant disregard for our Turnip policy. The defendant is asked, that in the future, he use tools such as: http://www.jokes4us.com/miscellaneousjo ... jokes.html

as a springboard for future turniping...

Well, We guess you are good to go. I will just stamp this, so they know you have been informed of it, and well... Have a nice day! Turnips!

KC73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2014, 10:55 pm

*grins*
My appreciation to the great Cthulhu,authorities and Squid. Have a nice Turnip day yourself sir. *bows*

Stringy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2014, 12:15 pm

Out in the countryside... wildlife? That's where I was yesterday afternoon. As I am most Sunday afternoons and have been since about the age of 8 (I'm currenly 51). I wonder how common that is among aspies?
The last place I lived was good for that (the north of Cumbria). Here it's even better (Brazil)! For one thing the weather never stops me and occasionally I get to see such things as monkeys. My dad was just the same and I strongly suspect he was an aspie too.

Black Adder... one of my all time fave comedy series, along with Monte Python, Fawlty Towers, The Fast Show.....

Followed that link Squid. My favorite from the ones I saw....

"After a minor mathematical error on a routine report, a worker's boss tried to belittle him in front of his peers. Angrily she asked, "If you had 4 turnips and I asked for one, how many would you have left?" Quickly he replied, "If it was you who asked, I'd still have 4 turnips."

KC73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2014, 10:18 pm

I think the nature thing is fairly common for a lot of people who need respite from our unhealthy and demanding social societys. The "mainstream" way being the majority way doesnt mean its right, healthy or meeting the natural needs of human beings. If you put most other animals in overcrowded, overstimulating, caged zoos and repeatedly poke them with sticks to wind them up then they dont do well, so why do we think human animals would be different?

Seeing monkeys sounds very cool :) And it sounds like we have very similar tastes with comedy. I liked the Two Ronnies too, mostly because of Ronnie Barker. His abilities with language and wordplay were genius.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 7:44 am

Welcome. Yes, conversation does survive here, more or less. :lol:

Stringy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2014, 2:58 pm

KC73

Agree with all of that.

I suppose I was lucky in that all my life I've been fascinated by nature and loved walking and exploring places and that my father was just the same in this respect. For me it's not just an escape and an opporunity to relax and re-charge my batteries, it's actually an active persuit too!

Ronnie Barker... yes, I loved his word play too! I can never forget his 'fork handles' or was it 'four candles'? lol

Comedies have always been my favourite genre, followed by Sci-fi, Thrillers, Drama.... I particularly like 'off the wall' humour, as long as it's not too offensive. I used to love 'The Day Today' (spoof news program) but they went too far with one sketch and that was the end of them unfortunately.

Always loved documentaries too! Mainly on the subjects of science and nature. There's been some great documentary series' over the years. David Attenborough's had his fare share of great series' but I think my favourite science doc series was Carl Sagan's 'The Cosmos'. I wish someone would produce a new, up-to-date series along the same lines.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 6:44 pm

So what do you think of the forum now that several months have passed?