Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 8:02 pm

My adventure with the study began in 1997 when I was 11 years.
Then I started to collect the magazine "Świat wiedzy - World of Knowledge" (later i was learn that is our Polish version of Marshall Cavendish Tree of Knowledge ) is the encyclopedia for kids and teens, every two weeks, came out the new number to put on it in a special binder content was divided into thematic sections. I collected a total of 11 binders.

It was very useful when I went to school, moreover, even now from time to time I look out there, mostly because of nostalgia.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2014, 3:44 am

I don't know when I stated to learn science. But I remenber one or two tv shows I watched in 1987.
One of them was based on the OMNI magazine, but it's probably after 1987, for that one.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 5:06 pm

I was taught to add money by my dad at the age of 4, and I was doing both addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication by the age of 5. This was my first meeting with science. :)

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 11:49 am

We used to visit my grandmother every Saturday when I was a kid and whilst the grown ups were talking I went down to a local electronics junk shop and spent my pocket money. I must have been under 11 because that was when I was sent away to boarding school.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 5:30 pm

When I was in the 5th grade I wrote a 5-page report on the formation of stable nanoparticle systems. My teacher told me she couldn't understand a word of it but that it sounded smart.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 7:15 am

Like most babies, I ran a series of experiments in order to better understand the true nature of the physical world. Throwing my pacifier(a.k.a. dummy, to some) from highchair to floor was helpful for understanding gravity.

It is sometimes said that all babies are scientists but only some are able to retain that into adulthood. Scientific exploration ends for many babies as soon as they become old enough to understand received wisdom from their family (around toddler age). For others at never ends.

Einstein once said that many children often wondered about the same big questions of time and space as he did and what set him apart from other adults was mainly that he never stopped wondering.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Jun 2017, 7:43 am

My mom suggests for me it started before I was born, for she constantly felt my hands feeling and exploring inside her womb :D
I remember that when I was about 3, I cut my finger with a piece of a broken glass to experimentally check if all that "don't touch broken glass or you will cut yourself!" advice was right.
Yup, I ended up in science :D

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 3:45 pm

My great grandfather gave me a science encyclopedia for kids for my fourth birthday. I was hooked immediately!

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 5:39 am

I vaguely remember I liked reading some children newspapers since I were a young kid and I liked browsing the huge real Encyclopedia I got for my 1st Communion. I was also collecting random bugs, animals and fossils for a long time. When I was about 5 I was raising snails on the 4th floor balcony and when I were a little older I was picking the colorful dust out of butterfly wings to see if they need it to fly. Not to mention I was doing random experiments wit stuff i found around the house.
I also know I got pretty obsessed with Astronomy at age 10, when a next door kid took me out to watch the night sky and I saw a shooting star. After that I begged parents to buy me Astronomy books and such and I looked at the sky every time I had a chance.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 7:27 pm

When I got into fishkeeping, I became fascinated by how ecological systems work.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2017, 11:35 pm

I often say that many scientists are the kids that never stopped asking questions, even when they grew up. I fee that this was the case fro me. I don't know where to draw the line between that childhood curiosity and scientific exploration, if it even exists for me.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 8:14 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
When I was in the 5th grade I wrote a 5-page report on the formation of stable nanoparticle systems. My teacher told me she couldn't understand a word of it but that it sounded smart.

Gr8 story!! !!

Love it! :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For me: it was various nature docs on TV....and my lifelong love affair :heart: with Science began. :nerdy:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@op

gr8 thread!

ty

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 4:42 pm

I have to say that my interest in science largely stemmed from PBS TV science shows. I thought it was so neat to listen to a narrator with a British accent (Actually there were awesome American narrators e.g., Carl Sagan of the Cosmos fame is most memorable).

There were times I treated the topic of science from "nerdy" perspectives. What's most important (personally, the loftier, intriguing, and even practical perspectives on science) are those well-made science documentaries that instilled importance of the sciences for everybody!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2018, 4:57 pm

I don't even remember when I first got into science. I know I was a very little kid.

It probably started with me looking at my dad's birdwatching books. I was amazed by how beautiful birds were.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 10:49 am

Kurgan wrote:
I was taught to add money by my dad at the age of 4, and I was doing both addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication by the age of 5. This was my first meeting with science. :)

You were a lucky, I was not good at math as kid and even now :(

I was more into humanities, history especially :D