Page 310 of 358 [ 5722 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 358  Next

Tuthmosis II
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2017, 5:04 pm

What is your first name? Catherine

Hobbies and Interests: Ancient Egypt, Dinosaurs and space :)

Why are you here? I want to meet other people like me

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Currently being diagnosed

Favorite subjects: English and science

Year/Grade: 10th Grade

Favorite music: Classical

Books: I really like scientific journals and comicbooks

TV shows/Movies: Doctor who and Star Trek TNG (TOG)

Instrument: Clarinet, Gitar and currently learning piano

Do you like sports? Nooo..

Family: Mother, Father, Brother and Sister

Clothing: I like to just wear whatever feels comfortable for my skin, cotton mostly

How did you find this website? I was just on the internet one day, and BAM!

Job: I am currently in school, but hopefully a micro-biologist in the future

Plans for the future? Getting my dream job

Any comments? Yeah, hi. I am new here :D

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2017, 11:11 am

Welcome Queen Tut! :lol:

I love your career plan and it is almost identical to 2 of my 8 different career possibilities. Ones that I completely overlooked when putting my questions post up, huh. Oh well what can you do :roll: .

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Twerkalurk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2017, 2:53 pm

Hobbies and Interests: competitive video games; all areas of science, especially hands on electrical work or project designing; music; sometimes hiking and actually being outdoors.

Why are you here? I want to know why it's so clear to me that I have Aspergers, it's been diagnosed, but somehow everyone (especially family members) refuses to believe that I have it. Am I different from the rest of you? I don't think I am, you tell me.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 2017 - ASD, Running around 160 out of 200.

Favorite subjects: Science, video games

Year/Grade: I'm a graduate student. Integrated Science Education for Adolescents to Young Adults.

Favorite music: Nightcore, classical, random happy music

Books: fantasy based

TV shows/Movies: just whatever I think is good at the time. I am partial to witchcraft topics.

Instrument: Harp, Vocals

Do you like sports? Not really. I do have a black belt in Shotokan Karate.

Family: I have them, yes.

How did you find this website? I was trying to find whether this weird thing I did today is an ASD thing and stumbled upon this site. It was.

Job: Science Teacher

Plans for the future? Plenty ;) I love my life.

Any comments?

JoeNavy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2017, 9:05 am

Twerkalurk wrote:
Why are you here? I want to know why it's so clear to me that I have Aspergers, it's been diagnosed, but somehow everyone (especially family members) refuses to believe that I have it. Am I different from the rest of you? I don't think I am, you tell me.

While I am still working on getting my own diagnosis, I have 2 kids that are already diagnosed on the spectrum. The hue and cry, against the autism diagnosis for my son, was so intense from my wife's family that she resisted therapy and treatment for him for more than 2 years. My oldest daughter was not diagnosed until she developed social anxiety disorder, panic disorder and tremors, about the time she started college. It still took the military medical system almost 7 years to finally get her tested and the provisional diagnosis of AS from her doctor to be confirmed, even though they just call it HFA now.
I am in the process of getting tested for autism. I was diagnosed with an unspecified personality disorder, specifically regarding interpersonal relationships when I was in service. I had an epiphany that I might be on the spectrum about 2 years ago. When I told my wife this, she informed me that she had suspected that I might be autistic ever since she was informed of the signs and symptoms of autism when my son was diagnosed. She and my daughter then asked me what took me so long to figure it out. Since then I have had confirmation of an ADHD diagnosis, as well as an unspecified learning disability. The psychiatrist wants me tested to rule out or confirm autism. I took an unofficial copy of that official test the RAADS-R and scored well into the standard deviation of scores that would indicate autism, I think is was an overall 187, but I don't have that paper with me right now. The one thing that does not really fit is that I don't seem to have an obsessive interest, except maybe history, warfare, and developing an understanding of women (I know that the last one is a lost cause, but with 4 daughters, I have had a better chance at it than most).Sorry this is so long-winded. I tend to ramble, as well as go around my a**hole to get to my elbow as my grandfather would have said. To conclude, there are plenty of us that deal with disbelief and rejection of the facts from our families. My father has not really accepted that 2 of my kids are on the spectrum and flatly denies that I may be, even though he had to know something was different about me. I was placed in special education classes in elementary school, but was given an IQ test (for the gifted and talented program) when I was a teenager and even though my overall score qualified me by being more than 2 standard deviations above the norm, my area/scale scores looked like someone had fired a shotgun blast at a piece of paper.
I once had a doctor (general practice doctor, shortly after my epiphany) tell me, that because I can make eye contact, I can't have autism, even though eye contact is something I have forced myself to do since I was a child, and it is still a source of misunderstandings and creeping people out because I am not aware that I stepped over the line into staring until people get scared and avoid me. It wasn't until I was interviewed by a social worker with the VA that I was finally able to see a psychiatrist, and he put in a referral for the testing, for which I am now waiting for the insurance company to call me back.
People that haven't lived it or sincerely tried to learn, about it and you, aren't going to understand because it is not convenient to do so. They may have to shift their own perceptions of you. And as an adult with coping skills in place, your apparent normalcy will allow them to continue to deny the need to understand. The best solution in my eyes is to educate them in a very blunt, fact based way. Shock their system a bit, it is what finally worked with my wife's family regarding my son. Sorry for the long post, that question really strikes a chord with me.

Twerkalurk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2017, 11:07 am

JoeNavy wrote:

I once had a doctor (general practice doctor, shortly after my epiphany) tell me, that because I can make eye contact, I can't have autism, even though eye contact is something I have forced myself to do since I was a child, and it is still a source of misunderstandings and creeping people out because I am not aware that I stepped over the line into staring until people get scared and avoid me. It wasn't until I was interviewed by a social worker with the VA that I was finally able to see a psychiatrist, and he put in a referral for the testing, for which I am now waiting for the insurance company to call me back.
People that haven't lived it or sincerely tried to learn, about it and you, aren't going to understand because it is not convenient to do so. They may have to shift their own perceptions of you. And as an adult with coping skills in place, your apparent normalcy will allow them to continue to deny the need to understand. The best solution in my eyes is to educate them in a very blunt, fact based way. Shock their system a bit, it is what finally worked with my wife's family regarding my son. Sorry for the long post, that question really strikes a chord with me.

Thanks for the reply, no worries on the length :)
I think this has a lot to do with it. I can maintain eye contact in person and I've grown up going to important social events, so my professional dialogue is potentially flawless. However, if anyone sees me outside of a professional setting, I think it's very obvious. I am quite different from the average person and I always have been. I think my mom's head just thinks about the "can you socialize part?" and stops. Which wouldn't even fit me that well because, again, outside of a professional setting or intimate family I'm useless. I'm also extremely gifted (I was a gifted child in a school for gifted children). So she 1) refuses to think that I can have something severely wrong with me due to my intelligence and success and 2) believes that, once diagnosed, people use their diagnostic as an excuse for behavior rather than a means of knowing how to improve. Which is fair.

joemamaugly
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2017, 7:52 pm

What is your first name? Larry
Why are you here? I lost my fiancee she and her son both had Asperger's. In my search to find out why it looks like I too have Asperger's. i hope to have a real diagnosis soon but it's proving VERY difficult.
Favorite music:
TV shows/Movies: NO TV
Do you like sports? No
Family: 2 children
How did you find this website? trying to find out all I can about what is wrong with me I came across this site more than once.
Plans for the future? get answers, understand better, and fix whats not working

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 1:25 pm

I don't have a television either, Larry. Can't afford the licence/license and don't watch it anyway.

joemamaugly
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2017, 7:58 pm

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:
I don't have a television either, Larry. Can't afford the licence/license and don't watch it anyway.

I own A TV it's not been plugged in in 2 years. I don't really see the need to watch it and it keeps us closer as a family

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 3:29 pm

What is your first name? Emmet

Hobbies and Interests: Zen Buddhism, meditation, Tai Chi, shinrin yoku, chado

Why are you here? support

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 12/17

Favorite subjects: emergency medicine/rescue

Year/Grade: N/A

Favorite music: Silence

Books:

TV shows/Movies: no

Instrument: bagpipes

Do you like sports? no

Family: my Beloved, 2 dogs, 1 cat

Clothing: only if I have to

How did you find this website? web search

Job: disabled. Formerly firefighter/paramedic

Plans for the future? to be the best possible mate to my lover

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 4:56 pm

What is your first name?
Katrina

Hobbies and Interests: Crochet, Books, Biological Sciences, Herbalism, Religion/Philosophy

Why are you here?
To learn more about Autism, engage with fellow NDs, and hopefully to make friends with similar interests for once.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Misdiagnosed several times, over the last 15 years. Pending new diagnosis.

Favorite subjects: Biology, anatomy, botany, herbalism, some chemistry, philosophy

Year/Grade: graduate, some college

Favorite music: A little bit of everything, but I can always listen to Sade, Anita Baker, and smooth jazz.

Books: HP, lesser known Stephen King novels, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Memoirs of A Geisha, HHGTTG, Stephanie Plum series

TV shows/Movies: Atypical, Futurama, Cowboy Bebop, Spongebob, LOTR, Benny and Joon, Silver Linings Playbook, Deadpool, Suicide Squad, Jackass (movies and TV), Hamlet 2, Guy Richie films, Little Miss Sunshine, Kill Bill, Miyazaki's works, The Fountain, Mortal Kombat, Rob Zombie's movies, Matrix, Inside Man, Girlfight, Monty Python, etc...

Instrument: Violin (can't play anymore, arthritis)

Do you like sports?
Sometimes.

Family: Hub, 3 cats and 1 dog. Mother and a Sister. In-laws. LOTS of in-laws.

Clothing: Comfortable 90%, Pretty 10%. Mostly lounge pants or jeans, some leggings. T-shirts and hoodies.

How did you find this website?
During my hyperfocus autism research.

Job: n/a. I keep the house, pay the bills, and take care of the cats and dog. I can't hold down a job, I overwhelm and burnout/meltdown 2-3 months into every job I've ever had.

Plans for the future?
That's ambitious. I tend not to focus on the future, aside from necessary safe-guards, and prefer to place my attention in the present.

Any comments?
I am a Bookwyrm.

I am a Bookwyrm.

Last edited by LittleCoyoteKat on 31 Dec 2017, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stigr
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Dec 2017, 5:09 pm

What is your first name?
Gabriel

Hobbies and Interests: Movies, TV series, animes, mangas, paganism, self-improvement, martial arts, learning languages.

Why are you here?
I'm here to make friends, try to get some help and help others with whatever I can and have some fun.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):
A few months ago.

Favorite subjects: Philosophy and psychology.

Year/Grade: Second year of college.

Favorite music: Symphonic metal, songs with meaningful lyrics, emotional songs, dark songs.

TV shows/Movies: Favorite series: Vikings, Stranger Things, Friends, The Good Place.
Favorite movies: The Silence of the Lambs, The Pianist, Pan's Labyrinth, Finding Neverland, The Matrix, Phantom of the Opera.

Do you like sports?
No

How did you find this website?
Searching on google for forums about Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder.

Plans for the future?
I want to be a filmmaker one day.

KatosJabay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2018, 11:46 am

What is your first name? Katie.

Hobbies and Interests: Listening to music, composing music, reading, writing, science, nonprofit programs, grant writing, travel, animals, drawing

Why are you here? I have Aspergers and I want to talk to other people with Aspergers

Favorite subjects: Physics, cosmology, neuroscience, geology, oceanography, earth science, history, psychology, philosophy, anthropology

Favorite music: Punk, metal, grunge, classic rock. Those are my favorites, but I love almost any music.

Books: Too many to list. I read at least one book per week and it is usually nonfiction about travel, business, or science, but I also love fantasy and historical fiction.

TV shows/Movies: Star Wars, The Neverending Story, Inception, Speechless, The Goldbergs, American Housewife, MacGyver (the new one with Lucas Till, but the old one is cool, too), almost every movie or sitcom from the 80s

Instrument: Guitar, bass, piano

Do you like sports? Not to play, but I like to watch American Football and sometimes baseball

Family: Parents and a cat

Clothing: Nothing I have to put too much thought into. I work from home most of the time and wear my pajamas around the house almost 100% of the time. Looser fitting dress clothes when I travel for meetings. With friends, loose fitting jeans and t-shirt. I wear a lot of Sonoma brand, Star Wars shirts, or band shirts like Ramones, Nirvana, Beatles, etc. Sometimes my clothes even match! For footwear, slippers around the house, flats or sandals in the summer, winter boots (nothing with heels), or sneakers. No accessories or makeup because it’s too much to think about.

How did you find this website? My counselor told me about it.

Job: President and Founder of Oswald Consulting. We work with nonprofits and mission-driven organizations to increase funding and impact.

Plans for the future? Travel around the world to work with clients. I have been to six continents and plan to visit the seventh soon (Australia). Write more music.

Any comments? I’m happy to be here in an accepting and non-threatening online community. Social media can be really intimidating. I look forward to being part of this community. Thanks!

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2018, 12:55 pm

Before I even start, a warning: I am the least tech-savvy person on the planet. Sorry if I do something wrong!

What is your first name? Kim

Hobbies and Interests: writing fiction, current events, homesteading

Why are you here? to meet people who know what it’s like to be different

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): two years ago

Favorite subjects:

Year/Grade:

Favorite music:

Books: anything by Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, Alastair Reynolds

TV shows/Movies: Blacklist, Doctor Who

Instrument:

Do you like sports? sports don’t like me! I only passed gym because coach didn’t want me to come back

Family: husband (aspie) teen daughter (aspie) son (autistic/down syndrome)

Clothing: usually covered in flour or soil, so my favorite style is washable

How did you find this website? googling asperger topic

Job: organic farmer/SF writer

Plans for the future? I’m going to expand the farm with beekeeping and maybe some goats, start a small stand at the local farmer market, and release my current book in progress in November.

Any comments? Wow, I can’t express how amazing it is to have found you all!

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2018, 1:20 pm

What is your first name? Gold

Hobbies and Interests: Art, fashion, fantasy, spirituality, yoga, nature,photography

Why are you here? I was recently diagnosed with asd

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): june 2017, officially December 2017

Favorite subjects: History, science, art, English lit

Year/Grade: too old for this Q

Favorite music: trip hop, alt, old school hip hop, ambiance, soft rock, some studio ghilbi type stuff

Books: can't concentrate as much as I used to

TV shows/Movies: Grimm, the big bang theory, sense 8, American horror story

Instrument: none

Do you like sports? Yea. Don't do much of it though

Family: too much.

Clothing: it changes all the time. Goth/50s/pin-up girl/androgynous

How did you find this website? I was searching for aspie stuff

Job: unemployed artist

Plans for the future? Exhibition in June, hopefully university. I would like to get a fellowship someday

Any comments?
Being weird is cool till people actually realise you're weird

Spud999
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2018, 11:53 pm

What is your first name? Colin

Hobbies and Interests: Music - electronic, discordant and difficult, TV and movies and computer games

Why are you here? Talk to people like me

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): About six months ago

Favorite subjects: see hobbies!

Year/Grade:

Favorite music: Nurse with Wound, Coil, drone, post rock, Experimental Audio Research, doom metal and almost anything 'difficult'

Books: Biographies and crime

TV shows/Movies: Too many to say...

Instrument: Nope

Do you like sports? Nope

Family: One wife, two rescue dogs and four rescue chickens

Clothing: Plain and loose

How did you find this website? A book called 'very late diagnosis of asperger syndrome'

Job: Purchasing/inventory controller

Plans for the future? I can barely plan for tomorrow...

Any comments? Hopefully I stick with this site.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2018, 2:34 am

Welcome to Wrongplanet Spud999!

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)