Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 5:49 am

My dog licks me a lot. I love the sensation. It tickles. I brush his teeth and I curl my lips in my mouth so his saliva doesn't get inside my mouth. Human licking is disgusting to me, though. I guess I'm weird...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:55 am

Never been a fan. When i was real little i screamed and slapped.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 10:47 am

You should net get sick from doggie kisses. I imagine it's like that for most animals. The bacteria in their mouths tend to be species specific so it should not affect you.

I don't mind animals licking me but I don't like it on my face. I don't like how it feels on my face. I loved when my cats would lick my hands. I like rough feeling. Cows have rough tongues too and I don't mind when the calves lick my hands. I let the horses lick my hands too. Unlike cows, their tongues are smooth. I always wash my hands thoroughly afterwards though. I don't usually wash them immediately afterwards especially if I am grooming the horses since my hands will get dirty again anyway. I do wash my hands very thoroughly before I leave the barn though.

Wreck It Ralph

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 1:55 pm

I love my dogs dearly, and love when they snuggle with me, but don't like the licking sensation. It tickles and is a bit gross to me. I try not to react badly to it (I know this is stupid, but I don't want to hurt their feelings) but will do something to change/stop it like pick them up. Much of the time they just give one greeting lick which I just grin and bear.

They of course are completely onto the situation and use licking to get me to give them attention. As in 'Pet me or I will lick you.' They also know and use the worst possible places to lick, like in the ear, in the eye, or worst of all, up the nose.

Al725
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2014, 2:04 pm

Never let my dog lick me let alone any animal! God, I remember the petting Zoo as a kid...disgusting! :eew: :eew: :eew:

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 2:45 pm

On the technical side, licking to the mouth or an open wound is not a good idea, or at least does increase the chance of transmitting germs, in either direction.

The number of germs present in humans and dogs is amazing. Over 10,000 different germs are present in a healthy human. I can't remember the number that dogs have but it was also in the thousands, and quite a few are transferrable. The number on dogs is increased if they spend time outside.

Its not all bad however as recent studies show children born in homes with dogs, particulary those that do spend time outside have fewer illnesses, including allergies and some other respiratory conditions. The theory is that the exposure to the germs the dogs bring has a good effect on the childs immune system, making it more robust.

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 3:52 pm

I recall watching a documentary that stated that dogs lick a persons face and mouth if they want that person to regurtitate their food (be sick) so the dog can eat it. It is what puppies do to their Mothers when they want them to reguritate what they have eaten.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 4:13 pm

StarCity wrote:
I recall watching a documentary that stated that dogs lick a persons face and mouth if they want that person to regurtitate their food (be sick) so the dog can eat it. It is what puppies do to their Mothers when they want them to reguritate what they have eaten.

The cat that likes to lick my mouth also likes to eat from my mouth.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 4:24 pm

I think I read its also how they find out what the other has been eating.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:24 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
I love my dogs dearly, and love when they snuggle with me, but don't like the licking sensation. It tickles and is a bit gross to me. I try not to react badly to it (I know this is stupid, but I don't want to hurt their feelings) but will do something to change/stop it like pick them up. Much of the time they just give one greeting lick which I just grin and bear.

They of course are completely onto the situation and use licking to get me to give them attention. As in 'Pet me or I will lick you.' They also know and use the worst possible places to lick, like in the ear, in the eye, or worst of all, up the nose.
It's no stupid at all. Animals have feelings just like we do and we can hurt their feelings if we are not careful.

Wreck It Ralph

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:27 pm

My little kitty beauty that's been gone for two years used to groom my head and it was like a massive deep tissue massage. I loved it.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:29 pm

Only cats. Dogs I despise deeply.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:48 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
Only cats. Dogs I despise deeply.
How about turtles? :D

Wreck It Ralph

ker08
Raven
Raven

02 Jun 2014, 7:52 pm

i really don't like it. I also don't like petting animals that will leave hair on me. I can stand both for a short period of time (sometimes) but by and large no way no how. Get me a lint roller and let me wash my hands three times.

(And I'm not a clean freak I just have issues with touch and my hands specifically).

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 8:16 pm

I like it when cats lick me, especially my cat. I love the unique texture the cats' tongues give.

Some dog licks I can tolerate, but most I cannot, as they tend to slobber and are disgusting, and I have to wash off afterward.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 8:43 pm

I don't like cats licking my skin but I don't mind if they like my hair a little bit. When I first got my dog I thought I would not like it, but I do. I don't like it though when he accidently licks my tongue ( So! Gross!! !) I really like it when he licks my feet. He does it because he really likes me. Sometimes he does get to be too much and I make him stop.

- Edgar Allan Poe -