Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 12:10 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ImeldaJace wrote:
I have a lot of stomach issues that are due to anxiety, but the problem is usually throwing up for me.

...you have a lot of anxiety due to stomach issues.

Seriously. Heal the digestive issues & kiss the anxiety goodbye.

There is actually quite a story behind it for me. I apologize now for how long my post is going to be, but I really can't figure out how to shorten it.

For many years (from when I was around 9 or 10, until I was almost 17) I was misdiagnosed with a stomach disorder. I would have these episodes lasting anywhere from a day or two up to an entire week during which I would throw up. I have thrown up so many times over the years that I could make you a list of foods that are the worst to throw up. I was diagnosed with abdominal migraines. I was treated with a medication and the episodes decreased in severity and frequency until they eventually stopped happening altogether. But there was a problem. With a typical case of abdominal migraines, a patient would be weaned off the medication after their episodes went away and they would be fine and have no more trouble. But every single time we tried to wean me off the medication, I would get sick again. No one could figure out what the problem was. I had ultrasounds and x-rays of my stomach to see if there was something else going on, but everything seemed normal and perfectly healthy.

Throughout all of this I was being treated for anxiety but as it turned out, it was not completely treated. A situation occurred when I was almost 17 that lead me to change psychiatrists (it was nothing too bad, but it would take way to long to explain here.) We decided to take me off all my medications, including the one for abdominal migraines, and start afresh. Once we got my anxiety under control, or at least into a manageable state, my stomach issues completely disappeared. I have not thrown up in two years, which considering my history, is practically miraculous.

My anxiety is neurological. It is caused by certain neurotransmitters going haywire in my brain and throughout my body. The reason that people feel sick to their stomach when they are nervous is because one of the chief neurotransmitters involved with anxiety is also found in abundance in the gut. What had been happening was I would work myself up into such a state that I would throw up.

The abdominal migraine medication successfully treating my episodes of throwing up is a perfect example of the placebo effect in action. I believed that the medication would make me not throw up and so it did. Whenever I was weaned off, I didn't have the "security blanket" anymore so I would throw up again.

Believe me, I wish very very much that I could get rid of my anxiety problems. My anxiety is severe to the point that it could be considered disabling. It is not easy but it is what I have to live with.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 12:56 pm

I have celiac disease. I don't have consistently bad reactions to eating gluten. Everything you eat on a regular basis has gluten. It's worth getting it tested.

Poor motivation

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 12:58 pm

Me. I seem to have a sensitive system.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

cavernio wrote:
I have celiac disease. I don't have consistently bad reactions to eating gluten. Everything you eat on a regular basis has gluten. It's worth getting it tested.

Just a quick tip about getting tested for celiacs. If you want to get a formal diagnosis then you might want to get tested before you try going gluten free. This is simply because the blood test for celiacs could only be used if you are still eating gluten.

Even if the test is negative, it doesn't mean that gluten could not be the culprit. Several of my immediate and extended family members are gluten intolerant but they do not actually have celiac disease.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 5:34 pm

I have some stomach issues that involve stomach cramps and urgent needs for bathroom use. It's hard to predict what triggers them, since there have been occasions in which I have eaten "trigger foods" with aplomb and felt just fine afterward. I think anxiety is an influence, too.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 9:12 pm

Another possibility is that you don't digest FODMAPS well. Some people who think they have non-celiac gluten sensitivity may have a more general issue, and wheat is just one of these fodmaps we eat on a regular basis.
Also was linked this http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-re ... s-epi.aspx
article in another forum recently regarding digestive issues.
Also ditto on the anxiety and the digestion issues, they are very mixed, solving one may solve the other. My aspergers bf gets digestive issues whenever he works at a specific location, usually once a week. It's possible it's just anxiety but it seems just as possible there is some unknown environmental factor at play. Do you get sick in specific places?

Poor motivation

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:06 am

I have a bit of IBS too. It's terrible.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Rosafield
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2014, 2:02 pm

ImeldaJace wrote:
I have a lot of stomach issues that are due to anxiety, but the problem is usually throwing up for me.

Me too :) I have always had problems with my stomach as I would be throwing up several times a week sometimes. I've vomited an abnormal amount since I was a baby and my doctors have never been able to explain it. Since I left school and quit job due to too much anxiety, I vomit a lot less! I would find myself throwing up before going to work in the morning - it was ridiculous!

KateCoco
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2014, 10:21 am

I am sensitive to milk and wheat; when I cut out, it took a couple of weeks for my stomach to feel better so it might be you're eatting food that you think is bad, expecting an immediate reaction, but you might not get a reaction for a long time. Sometimes I can eat wheat and not get a reaction too. Hope you work it out, stomach issues are the worst :-(

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 10:31 am

have been hospitalized many times since a baby/infant with stomach and bowel problems, last year was in hospital for a week
and they were strongly suggesting it was crohns disease until a arrogant consultant decided it was severe damage caused by being on codeine based painkillers despite having being on them only for four years and the stomach and bowel history going back since an infant.
because of his 'diagnosis' have not been able to get assessed for crohns.
am prescribed laxitives but recently the chemist for some reason sent lactulose liquid,which is useless.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 11:17 am

Try taking grains and (for a while) dairy out.

A lot of my stomach issues were resolved by avoiding the following:

Grains (except rice)
Dairy (temporarily..I seem to be okish with it now after months of being off gluten)
MSG
HFCS
Artificial Sweeteners
Excessive processed sugars
Caffeine.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 11:21 am

ImeldaJace wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ImeldaJace wrote:

...you have a lot of anxiety due to stomach issues.

Seriously. Heal the digestive issues & kiss the anxiety goodbye.

There is actually quite a story behind it for me. I apologize now for how long my post is going to be, but I really can't figure out how to shorten it.

For many years (from when I was around 9 or 10, until I was almost 17) I was misdiagnosed with a stomach disorder. I would have these episodes lasting anywhere from a day or two up to an entire week during which I would throw up. I have thrown up so many times over the years that I could make you a list of foods that are the worst to throw up. I was diagnosed with abdominal migraines. I was treated with a medication and the episodes decreased in severity and frequency until they eventually stopped happening altogether. But there was a problem. With a typical case of abdominal migraines, a patient would be weaned off the medication after their episodes went away and they would be fine and have no more trouble. But every single time we tried to wean me off the medication, I would get sick again. No one could figure out what the problem was. I had ultrasounds and x-rays of my stomach to see if there was something else going on, but everything seemed normal and perfectly healthy.

Throughout all of this I was being treated for anxiety but as it turned out, it was not completely treated. A situation occurred when I was almost 17 that lead me to change psychiatrists (it was nothing too bad, but it would take way to long to explain here.) We decided to take me off all my medications, including the one for abdominal migraines, and start afresh. Once we got my anxiety under control, or at least into a manageable state, my stomach issues completely disappeared. I have not thrown up in two years, which considering my history, is practically miraculous.

My anxiety is neurological. It is caused by certain neurotransmitters going haywire in my brain and throughout my body. The reason that people feel sick to their stomach when they are nervous is because one of the chief neurotransmitters involved with anxiety is also found in abundance in the gut. What had been happening was I would work myself up into such a state that I would throw up.

The abdominal migraine medication successfully treating my episodes of throwing up is a perfect example of the placebo effect in action. I believed that the medication would make me not throw up and so it did. Whenever I was weaned off, I didn't have the "security blanket" anymore so I would throw up again.

Believe me, I wish very very much that I could get rid of my anxiety problems. My anxiety is severe to the point that it could be considered disabling. It is not easy but it is what I have to live with.

Goldfish isn't completely wrong that anxiety can be caused by dietary components. What you eat affects how your brain works....

There is also situational anxiety, but if you are experiencing extreme anxiety for no reason...check out your diet and start by taking grains and other processed food substances out. You'd be surprised what a difference it can make.

If you are experiencing situational anxiety then solve the problem (if possible) and the anxiety should go away.

It is not something you just have to live with.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 11:27 am

KateCoco wrote:
I am sensitive to milk and wheat; when I cut out, it took a couple of weeks for my stomach to feel better so it might be you're eatting food that you think is bad, expecting an immediate reaction, but you might not get a reaction for a long time. Sometimes I can eat wheat and not get a reaction too. Hope you work it out, stomach issues are the worst :-(

I am similar. I can eat wheat for some time before I notice certain symptoms and digestive issues starting to return. My theory is the wheat damages the digestive tract. At first the damage is minor so i don't really notice any symptoms as such, but as time goes on the damage becomes more severe. As the damage worsens so do my symptoms...which explains why I can eat wheat without any symptoms or with only mind symptoms of discomfort for a short period of time but not on a regular basis.

The more severe symptoms I had when eating wheat were: Loss of bowel control, pale stools, chronic migraine headaches, vertigo, numb patches of skin, inability to remain sitting upright for a period of time, anxiety, more severe depression, palpitations, abdominal pain, bloating and gas.

Dairy I seem to be ok with on and off.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 11:37 am

Yes most certainly...there are certain types of food that can make it worse like junk food and stress really aggravates it. I probably have that IBS condition but haven't had it officially diagnosed if that's a thing you get an official diagnoses for. But yeah I'll get nausea/stomach pain as well as sometimes constipation maybe diarrhea but that is more rare but when you're able to go after you've been constipated sometimes it can resemble that(yeah I know gross description and all)....but or its like I just can't digest and am nauseous and sometimes end up throwing up, I've had mornings where I wake up to my stomach bothering me and end up vomiting before I've even eaten anything.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 11:48 am

I have gluten sensitivity and maybe celiac too. I get migraines and migraine-like neurological symptoms from it. Lost weight suddenly and got very weak when I tried to eat it again once after not having had it for 6 months. Quit eating it in the first place in an effort to stop my second child from throwing up with severe reflux when I was breastfeeding. Turns out she was sensitive to wheat and that I was too. Had no idea it was an instigator for migraines. I like having only one or two migraines a year or none at all. Wheat isn't the only trigger so I can still get them but not once or twice a month anymore.

I recently gave up on dairy and haven't regretted it. I miss it and I splurge on dairy sometimes and then pay for it in the form of anxiety, the need to shake my arms off, and stomach pain. When I am not having dairy, it's like I don't have a stomach. I didn't realize just how much my stomach hurt until it went away. It was painful even to the touch before. I was often aware of it but just thought it was just me. My periods aren't as painful without dairy too.

I have to be careful with chocolate: headaches and fogginess, depressed mood. Can't have caffeine. Very sensitive to sugar. Even one small hard candy can make me sick. Can have bad reactive hypoglycemia attacks. Especially with Skittles. I love then for the taste and texture but they can make me so sick. Have to wary of cinnamon too.

MSG is also something I avoid and nitrates/nitrites trigger migraines so I avoid that too.

Too much salt and I get vertigo and more annoying whining sound in the ears.

Highly sensitive to B vitamin supplements: niacin flush is horrible.

I have to be careful of oats sometimes because they seem to cause neurological symptoms at certain times in life or I just feel sick when I eat them. I also suspect corn to be a problem but I am content to ignore that one for now :wink:

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 2:02 pm

Oats can be cross contaminated with gluten so be careful when buying them. I have a problem with gluten myself as well as a brother with celiac disease.

I also have issues with corn.