Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 5:58 am

supercoley1 wrote:
Indie Rock tends to mean different things to different age groups and UK/US tend to be different to.

For example I am 39 from the UK and to my age group 'Indie Rock' describes the era with the Stone Roses, Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, The Farm, Cast, The La's, Happy Mondays.

I like Indie Rock if thats what you mean :)

yes, i agree. This was the original "indie rock". indie originally being defined by being signed to an independent record label rather than one of the big names such as EMI etc.

Incidentally, i used to go to a college that had one of "the Farm" teach at, that also had the original happy mondays manager Phil Saxe, as well as having frequent visits from the late Tony Wilson who started the legendary Hacienda.

I also liked the first wave of UK indie rock bands which had diverse influences that included the dance music of the time, but also other interesting influences such as acid jazz, soul and psychedelic rock from the early 60s.

purpletoupee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2016, 12:48 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
purpletoupee wrote:
I've heard the name before but that's all. I'll give them a listen.

Good luck with that, and I mean it. Between 22 albums, 17 EPs and six box sets (not to mention 22 Robert Pollard solo albums and a combined 34+ albums from side projects), it's less of a band and more of a religion.

Most people start with either 'Bee Thousand' or 'Alien Lanes'. If you like stuff like The Replacements or lo-fi stuff like Pavement, Sebadoh and Archers of Loaf, you'll find a lot to like in GBV's library.

Haha, wow -- that'll keep me busy then! Thanks for the recommendations. Haven't properly listened to them yet but I am a Pavement fan so I'm sure I'll like them. I've just emerged from a few months of Devo madness/Devotion and could do with another band to really get into.