Are we prone to idealizing a decade to our detriment?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:27 pm

I may have started idealizing the 90's to the point that I want society to go back to as it was at that time.

Anyone else have this problem?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:43 pm

lots of people idealize the past. on my email signature, one of the quotes is: nostalgia isn't what it used to be. peter devries

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:44 pm

I have similar good feelings about a specific decade, but mine was 80's. But I know time does not go backwards so it remains just a nostalgic feeling, not an obsession. Its understandable not to be exactly thrilled with things today, but you have to stay up with time to whatever awaits.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 11:34 pm

I was like that for two and a half years in 2007, 2008 and most of 2009 about the Late 70s and the UK Punk movement. I was getting sick of seeing shorts up the bum blondes and their body sculpted boyfriends and models in magazines. I figure that I'd live in the 70s and dream about them. I was also daydreaming about the original Star Wars movie during my free time.

It wasn't until September 2009 that I went back to being myself. It's true that I'm a diehard Kinks Fan and I dress the way they did between 1964 and 1967. On the same subject, I think it's really The Kinks that I like and not so much the 60s. If it was the 60s I was into, I'd be interested in many more things to do with that decade and everyone on WP would know it, too.

aspie_comic_nerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jun 2014, 12:05 am

I have nostalgic feelings for the late 1980's and early 1990's. These were my early childhood years and I wish I could go back to that time. It was the only good period of my life, a time when I was happy and blissfully ignorant.

Also it was great time to live in. A great time for being a video game/Nintendo fan, Heavy Metal fan, Horror and Sci Fi fan. Also DC Comics were really good as well. It was the Alan Moore, Frank Miller era. There was so much goodness at that time. It was also the pre-internet era. A time where no one was obsessed with Facebook, texting and their phones.

I feel like the present is just depressing and nowadays everything is so overly complicated and fast-paced. I also feel that the present is very polarized. We are now living in a time where technology is amazing and it's has become the center of our lives. We are also living in a time wear our overall living conditions are declining more and more. We now have all this new and amazing technology but our living standards are getting closer to 3rd world.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 12:05 am

I kind of idealize the late 1970s

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 12:28 am

I'm nostalgic about the 90's too, but I was a teenager then; I thought most people felt that way about the decade they grew up in.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 9:44 am

Nonperson wrote:
I'm nostalgic about the 90's too, but I was a teenager then; I thought most people felt that way about the decade they grew up in.

90s as well but I was a a child then I think ages 4-14 though I much perfered to 10.

Ages 7 8 9 and 10 I to feel looking back are the best. Not that I had and particular py grand experiences but I think I honestly just really love those number and that's basicly it.

Ok so mostly yeah I just like those numbers.

I get nostalgic about childhood and friends when I had them and times gone by I hate the future I fear it I fear change . Time scares me because everything goes by so fast before you know it it is all just a memory bad or good it is all just a memory. Things fade thpime changes things and soon the things and people that you love fade away and drift off to be nothing but memories. I know some people like to look back on those memories and they feel happy but for me they tend to hurt more. Sometimes looking back sinks me into a deep depression and I know now all to soon this these days will be goneAnd the people here now will eventually pull away or die though some may remain, but many of them will be gone and our good times faded into nothing but a memory.

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 10:07 am

(Thread moved from Autism discussion to Random)

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 2:07 pm

I miss the naughties a lot, more specifically 2008. that was the best year ever, so at least we went out with a bang before Obama came along and caused a landslide to the whole country. Ahhh, memories. You know, its funny how we always say the world such a messed up place but now I realize that a few years ago wasn't all that bad, and we took all the decades for granted. Remember to make the most out of every year, because you only get it once and then it's gone forever. I guess it's a little too late to realize that now though.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 8:09 pm

I tend to have nostalgia only for decades before I was born. So, the 80s especially and anything before that. I was born in 1990 so I remember enough of the 90s to realize it was mostly the same BS as today. I'm sure the decades before were too, but I wasn't there so to me they seem magical.

I am starting to be nostalgic for the 90s and early 00s as they are slowly becoming a distant time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 8:19 pm

I'm nostalgic about a couple aspects of the 60s before the hippie days, but I wouldn't call it a problem. I'd call it a trait that colours my personality, instead. I had to think about this for a day. I still wouldn't call it a problem. It's people are bothered by it who are the ones with the problem.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 3:34 pm

Nonperson wrote:

I was fifteen in 1978, and that is definitely one time when life was fresh and positive.