Is being over 25 too old to still be living at home?

Page 7 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 1:15 pm

good sort of news is I started going back to school last week, community college

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 8:08 am

Wait... so girls don't mind if you live at home? That was the whole reason I moved out. To impress girls.
Did I do it for nothing then?

No.

One time I dated this 24 year old girl, I admitted that I still lived at home, acted real embarrassed, then she said she said lived at home anyway. Same boat. She got embarrassed because she didn't drive and I did, I got embarrassed because she was in uni and I wasn't. We had a night of being embarrassed and never saw each other again.

Anyway when it came to the living situation, same boat for both of us but supposing she didn't live at home? Then it would look really bad. Nowadays many twentyager men and women live at home but many don't. So should I encounter a girl who doesn't live at home, we'll be at the same level.

But here's the best part, since a fair few twentagers still live at home, should I start dating one who still lives at home, me having my own place will seem really impressive and best of all, we'll be one step closer to cohabiting. After all, rent is expensive so why would she want to pay rent on her own? If she has her own place, she might like it there better or have a long lease.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 2:32 pm

well a Dating Coach I talked to recently made me feel better about this, because I wouldn't want to put my dating life on hold

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 4:31 pm

where does one find a dating coach ?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 8:17 pm

Just so long as the dating coach isn't a PUA.

llee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2014, 9:24 pm

32 and have always lived with my mother. It's embarrassing and makes me feel really bad, but I'd need a stable, full-time job before even considering moving out and so far, I've never had that.

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2014, 7:22 pm

I would if I could, but with the current economic situation it's impossible. Rent has gone to insane levels, a small student apartment is ?400 - ?450 a month ( roughly 550 - 600 dollars ). The only way to pay for both university and rent is to get a part-time job. Now I do not mind working 20 hours a week next to 40 hours a week of university, but not a single employer is willing to hire me. Employers cannot discriminate against a lot of things, but when it comes to something like autism you are just royally f*cked. I write a nice formal letter denoting my strengths and the reason why the job would suit me, they would show interest and invite me for an interview and then they never even contact me back. They can smell social awkwardness from a mile away and it's a prime turn-off for employers. They rather have someone much less competent and much less hard working than someone who is socially awkward.

This has happened so many times now I have pretty much given up looking for a job, by the time I finish university and can finally move out most people have married, have kids, a house and a car. I will hopefully have a good job ( R&D is one of the few sectors where autism is welcomed ) at the end of this but absolutely zero experience living on my own and zero experience with dating or social interaction. While others have settled down and started a family of their own I will just be starting out from scratch as a person in his late 20s with the social development of a teenager. I feel like I will pretty much be the laughing stock when I try to get involved in romance at that age. I also feel like a lot of women will try to take advantage of my economic position once I have a good job instead of wanting to get to know me for genuine interest. It's so frustrating to pretty much miss all the possible boats of life because of autism, despite working hard and trying to make things better.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 3:39 am

qFox wrote:
I also feel like a lot of women will try to take advantage of my economic position once I have a good job instead of wanting to get to know me for genuine interest.
Yes but many women already do that to NTs so that should even things out. If all their candidates had professional jobs and they picked you from among men who were equally well off, would you still say they no genuine interest? Which do you think would be a bigger stigma on the dating scene, being in inescapable poverty or being autistic?

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 1:18 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Just so long as the dating coach isn't a PUA.

found out about some on YouTube and Facebook