Insecurity about own body - is it really so common?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Are you insecure about your body?
Yes, I'm insecure. (I'm male.) 35%  35%  [ 21 ]
Yes, I'm insecure. (I'm female.) 32%  32%  [ 19 ]
No, I'm secure. (I'm male.) 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
No, I'm secure. (I'm female.) 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Unsure 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Other 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 60

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 6:54 am

FireyInspiration wrote:
IncredibleFrog wrote:
Stargazer43 wrote:
I don't know that I'd consider myself insecure, because I am completely happy with my body and my appearance...I wouldn't change a thing other than to get in slightly better shape. What I am incredibly insecure about, however, is whether or not people consider me attractive. Looking in the mirror, I feel like I'm moderately attractive, but having no "evidence" or comments from others to back it up, it's just my personal opinion on a matter where my personal opinion doesn't actually matter.

Ditto.

Third one here. Being in good shape but having a loooooooooong dry spell makes you unsure of what to think of yourself

It's extremely common for "average-looking" guys to perceive themselves as being much better than that. Especially if they're in shape and/or have a lot of money to throw around.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 8:51 am

I have room for improvement. I clean up pretty nice, but I'd like to look good naked.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 9:31 am

^Same here, it's easy to look good with clothes on.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 9:35 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
I have room for improvement. I clean up pretty nice, but I'd like to look good naked.

400 pound women, men with ostomy bags on the side, people well in their 90s', older women who have had madtectomies and are sporting that ' mother of frankenstein" look.[ that would be me] ALL BEAUTIFUL NAKED. Oh, and Miss January, she looks alright too.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 11:34 am

I guess I'm the exception in this thread. I'm very secure about my appearance, I do workout and am heavy into fitness. I will admit, I do admire myself in the mirror from time to time. All my insecurities come from things that are none physical.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 11:35 am

CommanderKeen wrote:
I guess I'm the exception in this thread. I'm very secure about my appearance, I do workout and am heavy into fitness. I will admit, I do admire myself in the mirror from time to time. All my insecurities come from things that are none physical.

if you don't mind, what are the non-physical insecurities?

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm

auntblabby wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

Lack of certain life experiences, not having much job experience for example.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 12:17 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

Lack of certain life experiences, not having much job experience for example.

those will come in time, us aspies tend to get things later in life, sometimes [in my case] MUCH later in life, towards the end, in fact.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

Even though people tell me I'm slender, in a slightly jealous way, I hate my stomach, I feel like it protrudes in an unflattering way and I don't like my sort of flabby biceps. I hate my flat feet and I don't like my knees, so I never wear skirts above the knee.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 1:56 pm

I am secure with my body. It is my brain that I am insecure with. But I am getting on it.

My body might not be perfect but I was raised hearing: "A lot of girls would love to have a body like you do, you could be a model" all the time because I got everything my mom always wanted to have - slim, slender body, nice face, nice legs. In her opinion she made a great choice getting married to my dad - which I was "lucky" enough to inherit genes after (including look, intelligence and the ASD traits...). His look was the main reason she married him - she always wanted a good looking child. And she archived it. I can't complain about my look.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

It's gonna be a great day when I get to take my shirt off at the pool/beach and show off my muscles. For right now though, I just use my body as a way to get into the cold water quick so less people can see me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 2:56 pm

modernmax wrote:
It's gonna be a great day when I get to take my shirt off at the pool/beach and show off my muscles. For right now though, I just use my body as a way to get into the cold water quick so less people can see me.

a true story- actor Laurence Olivier observed actor tony Curtis on the set of "Spartacus" when both were in costume of old roman attire, and Olivier asked Curtis about how he got his physique, and Curtis told Olivier to get down on the floor with him and do some pushups. you can see the results when you watch the movie.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 4:27 pm

Unfortunately, I tend towards being very self-conscious, and often uncomfortable 'in my own skin'. Maybe I got someone else's skin by mistake at birth. It could happen I suppose, when you think about how many people must be born on the same day worldwide. In fact I think I got a Frenchman's skin now that I think about it. I wonder how mine is doing? My real skin that is.

I am ok physical wise, as long as I am close to a good weight and feel somewhat conditioned. If I lose either of those, things do not feel right and do feel insecure. I find myself comparing myself to others unfavorably, very automatically. And it really shouldn't matter, but to my brain it does.

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 4:53 pm

Yes I would have a bad self-image if I were fat.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 5:28 pm

I watch that midsection like a hawk, not having the handlebars is the only thing really going for me, so I'm gonna hang on to what I've got.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 8:18 pm

Minority group reporting in here, not insecure. If it wasn't for common decency laws and one or two practical considerations* I'd be perfectly happy to walk around in the scud.

This is not pride. I am not beautiful.

* (like "where do I put my keys without getting piercings?", and "ouch!" after bouncing up or down a flight of stairs)