Insecurity about own body - is it really so common?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you insecure about your body?
Yes, I'm insecure. (I'm male.) 35%  35%  [ 21 ]
Yes, I'm insecure. (I'm female.) 32%  32%  [ 19 ]
No, I'm secure. (I'm male.) 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
No, I'm secure. (I'm female.) 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Unsure 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Other 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 60

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 2:55 pm

I've read a number of times in various places that "almost everyone" is insecure about their bodies and I wonder if this is really true. A quick Google search didn't turn up any stats. Maybe someone here can provide some insight.

A related question is: if you are secure about your body, does this automatically mean you think you're "hot"? I don't believe so at all. Personally, I don't consider myself "hot", yet I also don't consider myself insecure, in the sense that I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with my body. Perhaps this is why I find it so odd that "almost everyone" (apparently) is insecure about this.

Feel free to vote in the poll about your own insecurity - or lack thereof. I understand that it's not black and white, but for the purposes of this poll, you'll have to decide that you either are insecure or you aren't.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 3:08 pm

Guilty as charged here.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

You can also be not insecure because you don't give a damn about your body.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 3:51 pm

1024 wrote:

That works until you're obligated to go swimming. :roll:

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2014, 4:13 pm

Venger wrote:
1024 wrote:

That works until you're obligated to go swimming. :roll:

Well, it's like that when you are a seal. Some fat helps with heat insulation though. :D

More seriously, if you go swimming, others may give a damn about your body, you may or may not. :) Admittedly though most people will care about their body in that situation, and it may be rational.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 5:05 pm

I don't think my shape is bad, I just think it could be better.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 5:07 pm

I'm okay, though I would really like to lose about 30 pounds.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 5:19 pm

I don't know that I'd consider myself insecure, because I am completely happy with my body and my appearance...I wouldn't change a thing other than to get in slightly better shape. What I am incredibly insecure about, however, is whether or not people consider me attractive. Looking in the mirror, I feel like I'm moderately attractive, but having no "evidence" or comments from others to back it up, it's just my personal opinion on a matter where my personal opinion doesn't actually matter.

IncredibleFrog
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2014, 6:17 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
I don't know that I'd consider myself insecure, because I am completely happy with my body and my appearance...I wouldn't change a thing other than to get in slightly better shape. What I am incredibly insecure about, however, is whether or not people consider me attractive. Looking in the mirror, I feel like I'm moderately attractive, but having no "evidence" or comments from others to back it up, it's just my personal opinion on a matter where my personal opinion doesn't actually matter.

Ditto.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 11:14 pm

IncredibleFrog wrote:
Stargazer43 wrote:

Ditto.

Third one here. Being in good shape but having a loooooooooong dry spell makes you unsure of what to think of yourself

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 11:58 pm

my speedo days are behind me. now it is slowpoke swimwear for me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 12:50 am

Everyone is their own worst critic.

UnmaskedEmperor
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2014, 1:25 am

Sometimes I feel insecure about my body. I was severely insecure, in high school. Being a scrawny, introverted little computer nerd: I was very unpopular. Deep down, I really wanted to be like the athletes, who seemed to be having all the fun.

I have an athletic physique and am pretty big, after years of weight training. I'm not ripped like the guys on magazine covers, but am far from fat. It kind of throws me off when people compliment my physique, to tell the truth. I think I'm a decent looking guy, but still often feel like I did in high school... If that makes sense. I'm still not Mr.Popular, but I'm fine with that.

What does make me feel quite insecure is that I have a touch of "puffy nips". Not extreme enough to be called "man boobs", but sometimes they flare up to the point that it really bugs me!! No one else has ever commented on them, or seemed to notice. I've had them, since puberty. It makes me feel weird about taking off my shirt. Anyone else have puffy nips?

Last edited by UnmaskedEmperor on 20 Jun 2014, 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 1:28 am

UnmaskedEmperor wrote:
Sometimes I feel insecure about my body. I was severely insecure, in high school. Being a scrawny, introverted little computer nerd: I was very unpopular. I have an athletic physique and am pretty big, after years of weight training. I'm not ripped like the guys on magazine covers, but am far from fat. It kind of throws me off when people compliment my physique, to tell the truth. I think I'm a decent looking guy, but still often feel I did in high school... If that makes sense. What does make me feel quite insecure is that I have a touch of "puffy nips". Not extreme enough to be called "man boobs", but sometimes they flare up to the point that it really bugs me!! No one else has ever commented on them, or seemed to notice. I've had them, since puberty. It makes me feel weird about taking off my shirt. Anyone else have puffy nips?

be glad you don't have moobs.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 2:32 am

Sometimes, about my 163 cm height.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 2:49 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Everyone is their own worst critic.

Not really, most people just don't have the balls and the opportunity to tell us what they really think.