Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 9:48 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Can we conclude that you are a doing a beautiful and wonderful thing, Tarantella64?

And encourage you to keep on connecting with your friend.

In some small way, by simple attention, you might do the equivalent of saving the world.

Well, I think this is going a bit far. But thank you. No, I know there's no way of knowing that I could've kept my other friend alive beyond that week. (I do know that had I dropped what I was doing and gone, yes, I'd have got there in time.) I don't think it was his first attempt, either. And he was in a very bad situation, lifewise. But there's also a fair chance that he'd have pulled back from the edge. People do, after attempts.

With my friend now...no, there's nothing to fix. This is who he is. And I don't think it's a matter of pulling himself together, either; I've known him a few years now, and it seems to me he just needs certain kinds of support. And may need them for a long time or forever, who knows. Do I think the world will accommodate on its own, no, I don't. He's lived in...five places in the last year partly because people keep throwing him out. He doesn't really see why, either. All situations are tippy for him.

Waterfalls, I hear what you're saying, but unfortunately when I really shine that light, things get out of control. It's easy for him to get that from someone else and wildly overestimate what he can do or where the boundaries are, and then things go badly and he winds up feeling terrible and shaken. So I'm just...a person. I don't worry at him about himself and if there are things he doesn't want to talk about I don't. The main thing is that I like him.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 11:05 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
Well, I think this is going a bit far.
it's an idea from the Talmud--and for the person whose life is saved, it is undoubtedly true. Anyway, good luck with it.