Page 9 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 9:14 am

League_Girl wrote:
ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Darn I wish I could be violent to my family and not get hospitalized :lol: Those lucky children lol.

That is part of the difference of how we look at this. I don't see it as they are "getting away" with things. It is not fun for them, and they are not having a good time. They have trouble controlling themselves.

I was raised thinking that institutions are horrible places where one is likely to encounter abuse. I know that is not always the case, and the Cuckoos Nest was fiction and not a documentary; but I would not put a child in such a place except under the most dire of circumstances.

My mom told me institutions were good and they were well cared for and taken care of and the ones that abused patients were the minority and she didn't buy lot of them were bad places. Now look at what has happened now with the mentally ill and families who are suffering with it. My mom thinks when the new law came out and institutions all shut down thanks to Reagen, it was meant to protect people who are not harmful like my old friend with Down's syndrome an to stop families from locking them away for no reason but instead it backfired and now all the people out there who truly can't help themselves are out running wild and endangering their loved ones and others. There are homeless people who are mentally ill. There are prisons with people with mental illnesses all because we don't have a institution anymore.

When I was in high school, my therapist told me, "if you want to live out in the real world, you have to be responsibly for your actions, if you cannot, then you can't be in the real world" and hearing that was a wake up call and I realized "No wonder ret*d people go to prison when they commit a crime and no wonder why they sometimes get put in a group home or hospital."

She said we're all right, people don't choose to be sick and do things they do but if they are a danger, they have to be locked away from everyone else. She even told me if I was violent if I was more severe and truly couldn't help it, I wouldn't be living at home with my family because she would have sent me away so I learned it wouldn't matter then because I wouldn't be at home no matter what disability I have. She told me safety comes first and she has the right to be safe in her own home.

Like you and everyone else, I also thought the same that kids should stay home and be violent because it's not their fault and people with disabilities shouldn't be locked away and all until I changed my mind after realizing how wrong this all is and it was not wrong of my uncle to leave my schizophrenic aunt because she was abusing him. No one is obligated to stay in a relationship just because someone has a disorder because if they are being treated bad, they can leave and it won't make them bad people and there is no excuse for violence.

Then again, those lucky kids. My family is all strange. I was raised that people are thrown in hospitals when they are dangerous and doing harmless crimes like my aunt was such as washing her car naked and to be honest I would rather have a loved one or child doing harmless things than abuse where I am getting my ass kicked or being threatened with knives or guns or scissors or my home being burned to the ground, etc. or my stuff getting stolen and stuff ruined. Callista has written several times meltdowns are not triggered at people when they do stuff. They don't abuse people during their meltdowns and threaten them. That's a relief to hear that. Seesh my therapist must have been strange too. :roll:

As usual, we disagree vehemently on this topic.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 10:51 am

I think you've missed my point: there is a big difference between a 13-year-old who is violent, a small child who is violent, and an adult or adult-sized teenager who is violent.

First of all, the younger kids can be handled by their parents for the mere fact that their parents are bigger. Not so likely with a 16 year old. Second, there's a likelihood that the younger children can learn to do better, which is unlikely in the case of an adult schizophrenic (which isn't a developmental or learning issue, it's a medical issue that doesn't go away without medical treatment.) There is a difference between a medical issue (someone who is violent because they are sick) and a developmental issue (someone who is acting like a much younger child until they mature, which in some cases means they are violent.)

We also don't expect people with developmental delays who are violent to "live out in the real world," so your therapist is right in that way - but it's a valid option for them to stay at home in the care of their family if the family so chooses, even if they are violent. It is up to the family - and if the family believes they can help the child learn not to be violent better than a hospital, it's a valid choice. In that case, the child (or adult) would lose the option of being independent and unsupervised, right? That would be the case if they were five, 13, 16 or 75 - independence is only offered to people who can be responsible for their actions. There are more options for someone who can't be independent for whatever reason than hospitalization.

The reason I'm responding to you is that I'm concerned you are taking a very black-and-white approach to an issue that has many, many levels of grey. I know you have kids that are headed into toddlerhood, and want to have this discussion in case you think these rules would apply to them.

I would also caution you about how meltdowns look - Callista's meltdowns may not be like other people's meltdowns. My son's involve hyperfocus, so he had behaviors that seemed purposeful, but in retrospect it seems like the only part of his brain that worked during a meltdown was the part trying to solve the problem with violence.

Again, we are past this - so I do have one concrete example of a situation where we managed violent behavior at home until it successfully went away. I'm just saying that it happens.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 1:17 pm

momsparky wrote:
I think you've missed my point: there is a big difference between a 13-year-old who is violent, a small child who is violent, and an adult or adult-sized teenager who is violent.

First of all, the younger kids can be handled by their parents for the mere fact that their parents are bigger. Not so likely with a 16 year old. Second, there's a likelihood that the younger children can learn to do better, which is unlikely in the case of an adult schizophrenic (which isn't a developmental or learning issue, it's a medical issue that doesn't go away without medical treatment.) There is a difference between a medical issue (someone who is violent because they are sick) and a developmental issue (someone who is acting like a much younger child until they mature, which in some cases means they are violent.)

We also don't expect people with developmental delays who are violent to "live out in the real world," so your therapist is right in that way - but it's a valid option for them to stay at home in the care of their family if the family so chooses, even if they are violent. It is up to the family - and if the family believes they can help the child learn not to be violent better than a hospital, it's a valid choice. In that case, the child (or adult) would lose the option of being independent and unsupervised, right? That would be the case if they were five, 13, 16 or 75 - independence is only offered to people who can be responsible for their actions. There are more options for someone who can't be independent for whatever reason than hospitalization.

The reason I'm responding to you is that I'm concerned you are taking a very black-and-white approach to an issue that has many, many levels of grey. I know you have kids that are headed into toddlerhood, and want to have this discussion in case you think these rules would apply to them.

I would also caution you about how meltdowns look - Callista's meltdowns may not be like other people's meltdowns. My son's involve hyperfocus, so he had behaviors that seemed purposeful, but in retrospect it seems like the only part of his brain that worked during a meltdown was the part trying to solve the problem with violence.

Again, we are past this - so I do have one concrete example of a situation where we managed violent behavior at home until it successfully went away. I'm just saying that it happens.

Triplemoon said her daughter is bigger than her and I have never seen a 13 year old who isn't adult sized. I was taller than my mother in 6th grade and have been adult height since I was ten years old because I reached five foot. Some kids are just bigger than average and I have always been tall for my age and my son is tall for a three year old. I can see how a toddler can easily hurt an adult because my son has hurt me unintentionally so imagine if it was all intentional, he would be even stronger and it would hurt even more. before kids I just thought "How hard is it to restrain a five year old?" "How can a small child hurt an adult so badly they had to call the cops to restrain the child off the person?" and thought adults were p*****s because "aw they got hurt by a wittle child, c'mon it's not that bad, you can easily restrain them." But I get it now. I just had to have my own who is unintentionally rough and he isn't trying to be. I imagine "Now try imagining if he was doing it all on purpose, imagine how much painful and how much more he would be hurting me" and there have been toddlers out there who would do it on purpose because it was taught (children model their parents so if they see violence in their home, they will do it too thinking it's how you handle things) or because they have other issues. That is why people always assume there is child abuse when a kid is violent because that is what normally happens when a kid is violent. There is either abuse in the home like domestic violence or there is child abuse.

I appreciated your post though but still don't fully agree. If people want to be martyrs, they can go right ahead but if there are other kids involved in the household and other people, I will speak up about it.

Just because a kid isn't the size of an adult yet doesn't mean they still can't be dangerous like that 10 year old boy who threw an ax at my brothers and their friends and his parents hospitalized him that quick. My therapist considered him mentally ill because no normal child acts that way and no child tries to get their way by getting all violent and hurting people. He told me that was not Asperger's, that is an illness that kid had. He could have had conduct disorder too and ODD usually leads to it if not outgrown. We also stopped having him over because he got too dangerous. I already knew he was violent because he bragged about it and took pride but I never ever thought he would destroy my parents personal item or throw an ax at people. I have never forgiven him either for what he did. I will only forgive him if he isn't this person anymore and I don't know what he is like today and never bothered looking him up online like on Facebook. I think ODD was his main issue and it was pretty bad and he was also a pathological liar and wore this charming mask. Being at his house, I saw a totally different Frankie. At my house, my brothers saw a different Frankie too but with me around, he was all sweet and my brothers never even told me who he really is until months after I last saw him. I realized how much I had been lied to by this kid and how he painted himself as a victim and my brothers and their friends as the bullies and he never told me the s**t he did to them. My parents didn't even tell me either until afterwards and I think because they didn't want to upset me and it did when they finally told me. My mom said "he was a sweet boy Beth he really was but then his hormones changed and now he is violent so it's not safe having him here anymore."

Also look up Beth Thomas and listen to the interview with her on youtube Child of Rage. Her parents had to give up their adoption unfortunately because they had to protect her brother from her and that was the only way they could get her help. Another woman who knew how to treat RAD adopted her and she overcame it and grew up to be a nurse. I would say that is a rare case for her and she was lucky. Sadly there isn't lot of support for RAD kids so families are left desperate and are abandoning their adopted children or sending them back to their home country because they have gotten so desperate for their safety and for their other kids and therapy usually makes them worse because not many therapist know how to treat RAD. Treatment for it is extremely expensive. Yeah these are young children too but they are also very dangerous, a Chucky I describe them as to paint a picture of that is how bad it really is. It is not the same as having a child with issues and easily restraining them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 1:52 pm

League_Girl, I understand where you are coming from and your concern is protecting other members of the household which means you do care. This is an admirable quality on your part. Do you understand the history of institutions and why some people may be concerned? There was all kinds of abuse that went on in them? Another thing I would like to add is that people who did not belong in institutions were placed there anyway as a matter of convenience. There was nothing medically wrong with them in the slightest.

The problem was is that they were warehoused more instead of truthfully treated and once you were committed it was very difficult to get representation if you believed you were fine.

Momsparky was able to get to the root of the problem with her DS. They have been doing quite well. Technology and better treatments are coming along as well so if a child can be treated why wouldn't we provide them the treatment? I understand where you're coming from and I understand where Momsparky is coming from as well. I understand where ASDMommy is coming from as well.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 2:12 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
League_Girl, I understand where you are coming from and your concern is protecting other members of the household which means you do care. This is an admirable quality on your part. Do you understand the history of institutions and why some people may be concerned? There was all kinds of abuse that went on in them? Another thing I would like to add is that people who did not belong in institutions were placed there anyway as a matter of convenience. There was nothing medically wrong with them in the slightest.

The problem was is that they were warehoused more instead of truthfully treated and once you were committed it was very difficult to get representation if you believed you were fine.

Momsparky was able to get to the root of the problem with her DS. They have been doing quite well. Technology and better treatments are coming along as well so if a child can be treated why wouldn't we provide them the treatment? I understand where you're coming from and I understand where Momsparky is coming from as well. I understand where ASDMommy is coming from as well.

My mom thinks what Reagen did and what other people voted for, that was their intention to get institutions shut down and gotten rid of. To stop that from happening I bolded but it backfired instead and now we have all these mentally ill people running wild who are dangerous. Sometimes people do things for good intention but then other things go wrong because they don't look at the big picture first before doing something about it.

Abuse goes on in nursing homes and group homes sometimes too but does that mean we should get them all shut down? There are also corrupted social workers from social services and some people think we should get rid of CPS but I disagree because there are children that need to be protected and we just need to stop the corruption. Getting rid of CPS won't solve the problem because then abused children won't get protected nor would families get support when they need it.

People said we needed to get rid of institutions than saying they need to stop the corruption in them and the abuse. They need to stop the treatment they do in there on patients. But no they went black and white about it and had them all shutdown.

I could go on like teachers have abused students, should we get rid of all the schools and teachers?

I have seen other extreme views like "no more baby sitters" "no nannies" from parents because abuse has happened from baby sitters and nannies too and they also think no other parent should hire someone to watch their kids, same as taking them to daycare.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 2:31 pm

I know that this a tangent, but Reagan didn't just close institutions b/c of abusive practices. It was largely a cost cutting measure that was supposed to be followed up with the opening of more community-based options. That did not necessarily happen in the volume that was required.

I don't think anyone on this thread is saying all the institutions should be closed. I think it is more a discussion about who should and should not be sent to them and under what conditions.

I do think that there needs to be better oversight of any place that houses people who are not necessarily viewed as reliable narrators and cannot self advocate. That also costs money. I live in a state that doesn't want to spend money on that. Even our homes for the elderly have a ton of issues, and I guarantee you that the populace has more respect for the elderly than people in mental health facilities.Edited for syntax

Last edited by ASDMommyASDKid on 27 Jun 2014, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 2:52 pm

elkclan wrote:
As someone who does participate in the ASPartners forum I can say a couple of things:

1. Yes, there are some people there who are unbalanced who see Aspies as evil and suspect they're hiding under every rock waiting to do malice (I exaggerate, but not much). That's not healthy and I try to avoid engaging with those people. I also firmly believe it's really unhelpful to those who want to stay with their partners and those with kids on the spectrum.
2. I still find it a very helpful group to be a part of because many of the women (and the rare man) share many of the frustrations and experiences that I'm going through.
3. My husband is abusive and I firmly believe he is on the AS. I came here to learn about it. I find a number of people who are helpful but also a number who are apologists for common Aspie behaviour than can be moderated or worked around if people want to be in a successful partnership. Some of his abusive behaviour is related to AS (the meltdowns - which are frightening and abusive and stressful to tiptoe around and try to avoid). Some of it isn't. But the AS affects the whole relationship because he's unable to provide support to me when I need it and he's unable to see how his behaviour is affecting me our son and our marriage.
4. I haven't personally seen pickup behaviours, not saying it's not there - and I believe that people who claim they saw this are telling the truth. But calling us all skanks, crazy and comparing us to Nazis isn't dissimilar to the behaviour you're complaining about.
5. Saying that 'you married the guy' doesn't cut it. At the beginning of our relationship I chose to be with my husband because of a whole variety of other factors that made sense at the time. I fell in love. I was his 'special interest' and it was intensely flattering. I ignored red flags. Not only am I no longer his special interest (apparently I'm not nearly as interesting as Dungeons and Dragons) but the relationship changed dramatically after I had a child. It put stress on him that he can't handle and he's reacted badly - abusively.

Well I did go overboard by calling you all skanks and I do apologize for that. I will state that I am glad that some of you are standing up to the bigotry on there and calling it for what it is. http://forums.delphiforums.com/aspiediv ... ?msg=789.1

I am sorry that your hubby is abusing you. If it comes down to it and I know it will hurt but your safety you may have to leave him. What I do believe is that hatred and trauma can twist a person into the very enemy one wishes to defeat.

?Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.?

― Friedrich Nietzsche

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 3:10 pm

ASDMommy, I meant to say this but I forgot but please do not let your son listen to Tommy Sotomayor. He may get wrong ideas.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 3:21 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
ASDMommy, I meant to say this but I forgot but please do not let your son listen to Tommy Sotomayor. He may get wrong ideas.

No, I won't. Don't worry. I could tell by your description that it would not be good for him to hear.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 3:45 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:

I had to look him up and saw he is a homophobic racist for a radio talk show if I am correct. My dad would probably love him. He loves to listen to jerks on the air just to hear what they say and laugh about it.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 3:40 pm

Aspartners was shocking to me. Its clearly a hate group. They have that great NT groupthink going (its why no Aspies are allowed--no voices of reason to break it up) and an imagined victim status just like Germanys "Die Juten zind unser Ungluck". They even have posts on how to spot us in public, which remind me of the Germans VS Jews posters of the Third Reich.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:17 am

League_Girl,

You raise a good point. These institutions are not places anyone would want to go (or have family members go), but the exploitation they would face on the streets is far worse. This is a case where "compassion" and "do-gooderism" backfired in a bad way.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 6:14 pm

momsparky wrote:

Newsflash, it turned out that girl didn't have autism and she actually had BPD. How do I know, the mother had came back here and said she had realized her daughter was manipulating her so she found another way to stop the abuse and it was far different than what my mother did with me. Then I saw the mother posting on the psych forums under the same username and talked about her BPD daughter there and the mother also has BPD. I did notice the girl had moved onto being suicidal and doing self harm from doing abuse to her twin sister and to her mother as I've noticed here when she did come back to ask for help with her suicidal and self harm daughter and then a user here brought up BPD.

Damn, I was so right about that child but didn't know it was BPD.

It's probably possible she still has autism because she has ASD symptoms (taking things literal, difficulty with picking up on sarcasm) but it was BPD the mom had been dealing with the whole time than just autism.