Do you prefer clean and calm work environments?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Noodlebug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2014, 5:09 pm

I've never been a huge fan of hectic work environments, especially when dealing with food and all of the mess that comes with that. However, I started at Wendy's a few weeks ago and while the managers and co-workers are all very nice, the work environment really stresses me out to the point that I start getting stomach pains and I feel like throwing up.

Today, I dealt with the biggest lunch crowd that I've ever seen and despite no screwups, just being around that many people in one space made me feel extremely uncomfortable and restricted. I don't know what it is, but something happens when I'm around large groups of strangers and I tend to lock up emotionally and mentally.

I can do this job and I'm pretty good at it, but even a two hour shift is mentally draining and I'm thinking of finding a job elsewhere that doesn't involve fast food. I know I can thrive working in a store like Staples, Gamestop, Fry's Electronics, etc, not only because I have lots of knowledge pertaining to technology, but the work environments in those places tend to be very calm and clean. There's no food, no order taking, no major messes to clean up, no long lines of customers, etc.

Do you guys feel the same way about work environments?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2014, 6:44 pm

I do get very affected by work environment, yes. I used to work retail just in stores selling goods, and although that's nothing like the stress and frantic nature of fast food, even plain old retail felt like too much for me. I don't think I'd last an hour in your fast food job.

On the other hand, Frys and Staples sound like something you would like much better, and I really think you should go for it, if they or stores like them are hiring. Anything but fast food.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2014, 9:17 pm

Noodlebug wrote:
I've never been a huge fan of hectic work environments, especially when dealing with food and all of the mess that comes with that. However, I started at Wendy's a few weeks ago and while the managers and co-workers are all very nice, the work environment really stresses me out to the point that I start getting stomach pains and I feel like throwing up.

Today, I dealt with the biggest lunch crowd that I've ever seen and despite no screwups, just being around that many people in one space made me feel extremely uncomfortable and restricted. I don't know what it is, but something happens when I'm around large groups of strangers and I tend to lock up emotionally and mentally.

I can do this job and I'm pretty good at it, but even a two hour shift is mentally draining and I'm thinking of finding a job elsewhere that doesn't involve fast food. I know I can thrive working in a store like Staples, Gamestop, Fry's Electronics, etc, not only because I have lots of knowledge pertaining to technology, but the work environments in those places tend to be very calm and clean. There's no food, no order taking, no major messes to clean up, no long lines of customers, etc.

Do you guys feel the same way about work environments?

Yep.

My time at Hardee's felt similar.

I did better at TJ Maxx, stimulation-wise, because I usually worked layaway or stock. Some days things got crazy, but, most of the time not.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 8:33 am

I'm working at a restaurant waiting tables.

The kitchen drives me crazy. I'm always tiding up, and a lot of co-workers don't even bother. Really drives my OCD for cleaning crazy, but so far I've managed to look the other way and remind myself it's not my problem.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 9:14 am

I worked at a Brown's Chicken (and no not the one in Palatine, Illinois).

Actually I found it that when it was busy, the night went by fast. Later on a Popeye's Chicken opened up nearby and took away business away, then there was more standing around, and time drags on, and the boss has to give you busy work or I was told 'make yourself look busy'.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 11:49 am

zer0netgain wrote:
The kitchen drives me crazy. I'm always tiding up, and a lot of co-workers don't even bother. Really drives my OCD for cleaning crazy, but so far I've managed to look the other way and remind myself it's not my problem.

Oh, Ramen! They used to call me Mrs Clean, because I couldn't stand the mess.

On the plus side, every place I've worked has ended up hiring more women into the kitchen after seeing me tidy up (I couldn't deal with people working front of the house for too long)... I guess the assumption was that I'm tidy cause I'm a chick, when really it's just me being me.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jul 2014, 10:46 pm

I absolutely have to have a calm, quiet, and reasonably well-organized working environment free of distractions and preferably also free of people. I could never handle a fast job like food services where there are hundreds of people.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 4:58 am

Yup, I would assume a lot of ASD feel this way. I also prefer clean and calm work environments. If it gets too messy, I'll probably start tidying up.

Having a calm environment is especially important since I need to focus and concentrate a lot. Unfortunately, a lot of companies use open plan offices, which is not in any way calm

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 8:12 am

Oh, don't even get me started... my need to rant about my new residence in a cube farm is what brought me back to wrongplant after a couple of years away.

I was so fortunate to have spent the prior 13 years working in a place where I had my own office. I'm trying to learn to ignore it and deal with it, but, there are days I'm about ready to pop from hearing the constant noise around me... and I'm told we're on a quiet floor!

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 8:38 am

Can you use noise-cancelling headphones? They help a lot, I use mine on public transport, and I usually don't hear a thing. But make sure the pads are well insulated. Regular noise cancellation are often made so that you can hear people talking through them.

I'm in the process of interviewing for a job. I know the offices are really nice ( and huge ) with lots of talented and geeky people like me. But I also think they use open plan offices. That's a big minus, for me but I hope I'll get used to it. After what I know, open plan offices with developers are relatively calm and quiet.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 9:08 am

I do have a nice pair, for obvious reasons, but, unfortunately, I am not allowed to wear them here.

One day I was coding something difficult and put on my headphones (with a whitenoise app), and I was tapped on the shoulder by one of the managers and told that we are only allowed to listen to our music with one headphone on, so that we were still available for other people. :roll:

To be fair, we are directly across the lobby from the owner of the company, and we don't want to look unprofessional... but, still... ~shrugs~

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 11:08 am

Yeah, managers usually have no clue on how to make people work better. As I see it, there is nothing unprofessional about being focused on what you are doing, and it's almost impossible to focus with noise around. At least as long as there is no face to face costumer interaction, wearing headphones shuold be okay.

The better way of interacting with others in office environments is by using chat clients. That way you won't be disturbed by others when you're intensely focused on something. But making that a policy is hard, I think. I remember from when I was working I usually interacted with other developers by going to their office. Looking back, I should have use the chat system more.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 11:17 am

Most of us use the chat system quite a bit internally, which probably does help keep down the noise level.
I wish my coworkers worked with only internal people, lol, alas, they are on the phone constantly, negotiating with people. It's beyond overwhelming to listen to.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2014, 12:00 pm

It never seizes to amaze me what managers think is a good idea.

Noodlebug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2014, 4:06 pm

Well, I just got a call from Fry's Electronics yesterday about scheduling a job interview for next week. This thread is pretty prophetic.