Does anyone else on here live without a TV?

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Enigma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2007, 3:56 pm

Freawaru wrote:
I didn't have one through uni and didn't miss it a bit. When I came back home I'd got out of the habit of watching it, and last July I went 100% TV-free. That said I don't see movies as TV for some reason and I am very occasionally willing to watch one with my computer's DVD drive.

Weird things started happening to me after I quit. I remember that very very last programme I watched, because it was a documentary about one of my interests that my mother had recorded just for me; she kept nagging me to watch it. Eventually I did sit down to watch it, when everyone else was out and I was guaranteed some peace and quiet. The bizarre thing was: I found myself arguing with the TV! Every time the narrator said something I disagreed with I started talking out loud trying to explain to him why he was wrong! XD

I seem to have lost the knack of sitting passively and letting the thing feed me what it wants. That experience brought it home for me, the amount of power that machine can have over people. And the things it teaches you are NOT the things you want to learn from it. I used to watch documentaries almost exclusively, but do I remember anything from them? Do I heck! On the other hand, even after four years I still know that Aquafresh refreshes your breath - naturally/I'd rather just have a McDonalds/Coke Adds Life/Mmm, Danone/*DING!* Intel Inside!/Hovis Really Is Better Bread.

That's so right,you have to practise 'intellectual self defence' with the TV,and a lot of the adverts will be by big unethical companies who try to brainwash viewers to buy their products so they can boost their already huge coffers.

polyrhythmia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2007, 7:51 pm

I don't have a TV in the house and don't miss it one bit. When my mother was still alive, we had a TV, but she did not watch it all that much and neither did I. While I would have liked to seen the CNN show about Amanda Baggs, and other various science- and autism-related shows, it's not worth the cost of having cable just for that. Besides, I have too many other interests to want to bother watching TV.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Feb 2007, 9:14 pm

i dont really watch tv, but if i do its usually the weather channel, or one of the many sports channels that they have on. i'd rather be outside. plus tv nowdays is sensory overload. too much going on

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:23 pm

I have one, but I don't watch many of the idiotic programs of today. I generally watch The Discovery Health Channel, ESPN (running and skating), Animal Planet, and movies.

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:37 pm

I watch sports, Conan O'Brien, and the Colbert Report, but basically I just use the computer

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:42 pm

I lived without one for thirty years. People who came to the house kept looking around, so I pointed out the bathroom. 60s, 70s, 80s it was the culture center, and the reaction to me not having one, or a radio, stereo, was extreme. They had to have background noise to function, Pavlov would have been proud. Some went so far as to bring a portable radio, cheap speakers, played way too loud, to show me what I was missing.

When I told them to shut it off, they claimed rights! An early version of the shoulder fired boombox.

I did see them here and there. was told I would miss the end of the world. I and Newton Minnow, A vast wasteland. Then I got one when quality programing appeared, could not watch the Simpsons without it, then Adult Swim, but everything is moving to computers.

A 27" flat screen, picture within picture, so I can work, and watch Inuyasu.

Only Lisa Simpson understands me.

XOnedoingtheSlappingX
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2007, 9:44 pm

Enigma wrote:
Just wondered as I have not had a TV for many years,I don't miss it either. :D

Are you ret*d or something?

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 10:36 pm

Freawaru wrote:
On the other hand, even after four years I still know that Aquafresh refreshes your breath - naturally/I'd rather just have a McDonalds/Coke Adds Life/Mmm, Danone/*DING!* Intel Inside!/Hovis Really Is Better Bread.

Hahaha.. it's so true.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 1:03 pm

I watch lots of DVDs, but I can go six months without turning the TV on for a 'live' show. They don't really seem to make the kinds of things I like watching any more. :( I can honestly say that there hasn't been a new show on for ten years that I'd be really upset if I missed.

I just tend to watch my favorites over and over; I never get bored with them. :)

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 1:11 pm

XOnedoingtheSlappingX wrote:
Enigma wrote:

Are you ret*d or something?

I know XOSX is banned, but I just had to point out how IRIONIC the statement is! Names the TV has been called:

BOOB TUBE(BOOB is another word for IDIOT)
IDIOT BOX

Steve

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Mar 2007, 8:01 am

I can definitely live without TV - I've gone through long periods (a few years at a stretch) without one or without cable. I definitely don't need it as a lot of my hobbies involve using the computer. A computer is the thing I probably couldn't live without - or it would be very difficult.

My girlfriend and I recently got a new TV and digital cable though and have been enjoying it. 90% of the channels and shows out there don't interest me but I enjoy stuff like History Channel, various Discovery channels, Animal Planet, Sci-fi Channel, Science Channel, Court TV, FearNet, and on-demand movies.

Anyway TV is good for taking a break from the computer once in a while.. but I generally spend more time doing stuff on the computer.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Mar 2007, 5:00 pm

I use my TV to watch DVDs on. I can only get about 4 channels, and they aren't that interesting. I could pay a cable fee to get more, but I resent the price. So I just watch movies without commercial interruption, and its great!

muddlinthrough
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2007, 10:43 am

Kill your television. its been three years since i've had one.
Find Jerry Mander's book "Four Arguments for The Elimination of Television". Good stuff.

IcelandicGuy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2007, 11:52 am

The only thing I watch on TV are the news and football.

Feibel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2007, 9:29 pm

For many years my TV set was a 9 inches B&W and the monitor for my computer was 17 inches...

Now I have a great TV... does everything! can even brew coffee... with a great design that has only one button to turn it on/off. One problem, though, I haven't seen the remote in some months now... will it work if I whistle? 8O I should try it one of these days...

AmbientRainbow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2007, 11:53 pm

Enigma wrote:

i don't have tv