Does anyone else on here live without a TV?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Enigma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2007, 12:10 pm

Just wondered as I have not had a TV for many years,I don't miss it either. :D

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 12:36 pm

There is no way I'd be able to live without a TV. Until I finally made friends sometime in high school, watching TV was my only source of fun. Of course, my parents knew that, and they held it hostage every time report cards were to come out. If I ever got anything lower than a B, they would take away my TV privileges for anywhere from one day to one week, all depending on their mood. And while the punishment was in force, I was utterly miserable, since back then, I didn't have the getting drunk to pass time.

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2007, 12:37 pm

I couldnt live without one. As a teenager, I was much more addicted to it, but nowadays, there are 2 or 3 shows I can't miss. The TV has made my whole Aspie-schedule thing a little harder and easier to manage, because I base my activities and my schedule around the programs on TV. This can be good because I feel safe with my schedule there, but if it gets broken (I am going to miss House?!?!) then I do not react well.

Last edited by Vegasadelphia on 27 Feb 2007, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E7ernal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2007, 12:38 pm

I'm easing off the Television now but still use it for DVDs occasionally (mostly when I have a friend round. Emphasis on the 'a').
I use the computer and listen to music mostly now.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 12:49 pm

I have a TV w/ 500 channels of s**t (included in the rent). I watch FOX on Sunday night and Sci-Fi on Monday night, but other than that, I don't watch it.

- Emerson

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 12:55 pm

My husband has one that does all sorts of things. I go through spurts where I'll watch things on the Discovery, Science or History channels. It usually has to do with whatever I'm obsessed with at the time. I haven't watched normal TV since 1981 and I've only recently started watching those three channels.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 12:56 pm

I don't have a TV in my dorm. On weekends I go home, which is about once a month, I'll watch whatever is on cable at home. I like Fox News Sunday, the McLaughlin Report, stuff on the Sci Fi channel, and Conan O'Brien, among other programming.

Last edited by hyperbolic on 27 Feb 2007, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 12:57 pm

For the past 3-4 years we haven't had cable, just rabbit ears. That means just about 4 network stations are available at any time. We don't turn on the tv and we have a different set we use for video games. My son may watch PBS in the summer but otherwise doesn't watch tv or care for it. I might turn it on for the weather or to watch Craig Ferguson (but mostly watch him on the computer).

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 1:19 pm

I do not watch tv as such anymore as I cannot get a signal...when I did, I tended only to watch documentaries and things like Antiques Roadshow as I love antiques. Now I watch a lot of DVDs and videos, but only ever in the background while I am online really. To live without it, I suppose, much as with the internet, I would need something to replace it in way of companionship as that is the main purpose it serves. I suppose I could manage with just my books and my needlework for a time, but soon I would feel the isolation to a degree I would need the internet or the tv again, lol.

calibaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2007, 1:21 pm

i only watch disney channel and movies.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 2:15 pm

All I watch are DVDS. There's not much on that I like.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 2:28 pm

I'd be dead without TV or movies. In fact, I'm watching TV right now!

krex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 2:29 pm

I lived without a TV from 1980-1992.....then got cable and got hooked on Sci-Fi,Discovery,TLC,and history channel....mostly had it on for background noise to not feel lonely.

The shows I try and watch now are....."Six Feet Under", "Saprano's", "Adult Swim"......I will still switch on History or Sci-Fi, to see if it's something interesting.I also buy a lot of movies at the pawn shop(usually cheaper then rental costs).

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Feb 2007, 2:33 pm

Lightning88 wrote:

you don't need a tv to watch tv or movies. bittorrent, itunes, and/or dvds! no commericials!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 2:36 pm

alex wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:

you don't need a tv to watch tv or movies. bittorrent, itunes, and/or dvds! no commericials!

Well, I DID go for about 3 years of my life with NO tv for at least a year at a stretch! I WISH I could really do that now.

Steve

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 11:39 pm

I have several TV's around the house, but don't watch any of them that much. I enjoy restoring old vintage electronics, so I've got some old 50's and 60's era TV's that I have restored to working order. In my living room, I have an LCD projector that's connected up to a DVD player, but is not connected up to anything to receive programming. That's where my friends and I hang out to watch movies and stuff.

As far as watching any sort of off-air programming, I have a Dish network box with the basic service in my office, and it's shared between the office and my bedroom. The TV in my office is actually a professional grade TV monitor from a studio. I end up using it to edit camcorder footage on more than watching TV. The bedroom TV gets the most amount of off-air viewing, but even then, it's not much. A little bit of news in the morning to see what the weather is like, and I'll watch some documentaries on it occasionally. I guess I don't get my money's worth out of the Dish network subscription, I only watch probably a few hours of TV a week on it, but it's nice to have when I want it.